Need help deciding on new AAA EDC:

Leif24

Newly Enlightened
Looking to get a new AAA EDC light.

I have always been a big fan of Fenix lights and I am trying to choose between two of their lights both with Cree R2 LEDs, the LD01 with 85 max lumens and the LD03 with 71 max lumens.

Any input would be appreciated.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD03 must be one of the longest (if not the longest) single AAA lights I know. I'd would prefer a AAA with clicky, but not at such dramatic length. A non-Fenix Preon 1 + clicky would be a better choice at that.

I've been using LD01 as my keychain light for 2-3 years now, I would say it's one of the classics from Fenix. I like that it's first output is med, a good brightness for general use, not too low and not too bright. The latest version is R5 SS if you prefer a more efficient LED with a tank proof steel body to match. To get that extra boost in output, you can try using protected 10440 (responsibly).

tam17

Enlightened
Try to avoid LD01 R2 and get a new current regulated version. R2s have purple-ish tint (esp. in Low mode), PWM flickering is noticeable and 85 lumens are not ANSI/FL1.

Cheers,

Tam

HKJ

Flashaholic
Looking to get a new AAA EDC light.

I have always been a big fan of Fenix lights and I am trying to choose between two of their lights both with Cree R2 LEDs, the LD01 with 85 max lumens and the LD03 with 71 max lumens.

Any input would be appreciated.

The LD03 does not exist.

Try checking my website, I have compared many AAA lights. I am missing some of the newest models, they will be added at a later date, but just now I am way to busy with some other lights.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Try to avoid LD01 R2 and get a new current regulated version. R2s have purple-ish tint (esp. in Low mode), PWM flickering is noticeable and 85 lumens are not ANSI/FL1.

Cheers,

Tam

The one I've got is the R4 version in aluminium. No PWM.
I really like it and carry it as much as or maybe more often than my Preon ReVo SS NW.
IMHO alu is better than SS because it is lighter and still strong enough (for me)

The only problem is the greenish tint. I have thought about buying another one and see if I get lucky and get a more "pure white".
Anybody who can estimate my chanses for that?

Napalm

Enlightened
I have thought about buying another one and see if I get lucky and get a more "pure white". Anybody who can estimate my chanses for that?

The same as Cree inadvertently placing good LEDs in the green tinted bin.

Nap. :whistle:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LD01 is a great light. I carry mine on my belt all the time, and four other people in my family all have one as well.

Richub

Enlightened

Cheers,

Tam
I agree on this.

I actually bought a second LD01 R4 last week because of the purple tint of my first LD01 R2 on low. It was even more purple than a 5 MM LED like the E01 has.
The PWM didn't bother me at all, since it has a very high frequency.

The LD01 R4 gets a slightly warmer tint on low, the actual tint on my LD01 R4 is cool white without any trace of green.

If you don't mind a single mode light, you might consider the E05 too.
30 lumens in a nice floody beam without actual hotspot. It's even shorter than the LD01 is.

I got an E05 too, and like it a lot. The tint is cool white. The R2 version is a tad more neutral than the R4.

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The brightest would be the Klarus X6. I got a alu R4 LD01 but the anno will scratch eventually so the SS LD01 R5 is another option. Finally if you want extra flashing modes OR a pocket clip OR colors OR a clicky the 4sevens Preon would be what to look at.

tylernt

Enlightened
LD03 must be one of the longest (if not the longest) single AAA lights I know. I'd would prefer a AAA with clicky, but not at such dramatic length.
Actually, I find that some clickie 1xAAA lights can be too short: my pinkie will obscure the beam when I use my thumb to turn it on. My Lumapower Avenger GX is a little "long" but it's actually the perfect length for me.

Leif24

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your help and input guys, there is a great bunch of people here.