Mag XL50 - a month down the road.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been several reviews and a fair amount of discussion of the XL50 lately, so here's my take on the this light after about a month of use around the house, walking around the neighborhood, and a few trips out of town.

First and foremost, this light is a thrower. While it produces usefully bright spill, a whole lot of the ouput goes into a tight hotspot (over 5000 lux) that projects for an impressive distance downrange.

Even on low setting, 25 lumens, throw is pretty decent. On the high setting, 100 lumens, the XL50 will light up a target brightly at 100+ feet in an urban environment. Of course in a rural environment useful throw will be greater - at something over 200 feet I was able to distinguish a human figure standing against a background of trees and shrubs across an open field.

Mag designed this reflector for throw, and it throws so well that the 25 lumen setting can be a bit too bright for close up tasks. You can make do with the spillbeam to accomplish a close up task - to briefly read something or locate an item on your desktop - but it's not ideal.

To get around this limitation, the user can simply unscrew the head which will produce a very nice, smooth, even flood of light. That 25 lumens of pure flood is excellent for close range tasks, including looking into computer cases and extended book reading.

Switching to high gives 100 lumens of flood, which is usable for walking around outdoors but limited to close-to-medium distances. The brighter 100 lumen flood also looks like it would be good for working at close to medium distances - working on a furnace perhaps - to provide a lot of light without the glare, but I haven't tried it for that yet.

While you wouldn't want to remove the head in a rainstorm, otherwise I think the emitter is fairly well protected. The LED dome sits at the bottom of a half-inch deep well formed by an extension of the body tube all around it.

The flood configuration is so useful that I plan to buy another XL50 and remove the reflector to make a dedicated flood version to keep on my desktop for use around the home office.

Tailstanding works well and the XL50 will light up a good sized room on the high setting.

Fit and finish on my sample is quite good and it feels good in my hand. The electronic switch provides a very nice tactile sensation as it is pressed and a soft audible click. Although I prefer a forward clicky with momentary capability, the electronic switch of the XL50 works fine to produce momentary flashes of output. UI is good and simple. Strobe is available, but out of the way - at least I haven't stumbled into strobe mode by accident so far.

I think the XL50 is a good all around utility light that can also be used to good effect as an outdoors light. I'm not unduly concerned with its short runtime on high, because for most purposes outdoors the throwy 25 lumen output is sufficient.

An XL50 would be good to keep loaded with lithium cells in a glovebox (if the tailcap is unscrewed before storing away.) An XL50 would also be reasonable to keep on the nightstand. The handly size and simple UI - one click always yields a 100 lumen throwy beam - should be good for home defense purposes.

Criticisms of the XL50:

The XL50 lacks both a pocket clip and lanyard attachment point, both useful features.

I think the omission of some way to tie on a lanyard was a big mistake. Hopefully this will be rectified in a future version, as they did with the MiniMagLED.

Lack of a pocket clip doesn't bother me so much, because the additional length and greater girth of the XL50 (compared to EDC friendly 1AA lights) makes it too big for me to EDC in a pocket. Perhaps Mag will offer an optional pocket clip in the future. For now, belt carry is the way to go for EDC and there are several holsters available that fit the XL50.

There's been criticism of the plastic lens and Type 2 anodize, to which I respond: "This is a Mag that costs 25 bucks! Plastic lenses and Type 2 anodize come with the territory - get over it."

There's been critisism that the battery carrier may not be robust enough. Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. If the battery carrier breaks, then Mag will replace it even years down the road.

There's been criticism of artifacts in the beam. Looking carefully at the beam at close range on a white wall, I can pick out some slight artifacts: a faintly brighter ring just outside of the hotspot, followed by a slightly darker ring surrounding that, both concentric around the hotspot. But when actually using the XL50, those artifacts are unnoticeable.

There's been criticism of the light constantly drawing a standby current. I haven't yet measured the standby current, but it doesn't seem excessive when compared to similar lights. If you desire to store the light long term with cells inside, then unscrewing the tailcap about one full turn breaks the circuit and shuts off the standby current.

Summing things up:

XL50 is a great light for the money IMO. Output and throw like nothing most people have ever experienced from such a compact light.

Since these can be found for 20 to 30 bucks at big box stores all across the USA, they are a very good option for non-flashaholic people who nevertheless appreciate having a good flashlight: hunters, fishermen, campers, and other outdoors people, tradesmen, etc.

JNieporte

Enlightened
Nice review. I have three XL50s; one is new, one is on my shotgun, and one is my main walking around outside at night light. Nice tools.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your review! It does seem like a nice light for what you pay, and I might pick one up as a gift for someone soon.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flood configuration is so useful that I plan to buy another XL50 and remove the reflector to make a dedicated flood version to keep on my desktop for use around the home office.
One warning about this idea: the window is held in place by the reflector. If you remove the reflector, the window will not stay in place.

There's been critisism that the battery carrier may not be robust enough. Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. If the battery carrier breaks, then Mag will replace it even years down the road.
The XL-series probably has the most robust battery carrier of any flashlight. Even LED Lenser's battery carriers tend to have some wiggle, whereas the Maglite one is completely solid. Of course, it's one more part that could break, but I don't think it will happen.

There's been criticism of artifacts in the beam. Looking carefully at the beam at close range on a white wall, I can pick out some slight artifacts: a faintly brighter ring just outside of the hotspot, followed by a slightly darker ring surrounding that, both concentric around the hotspot. But when actually using the XL50, those artifacts are unnoticeable.
One thing I noticed with my XL-series lights is that the way you screw the head back on could change the beam! What I do is I match the XL50 letters on the head with the serial number on the body. If the beam isn't satisfactory, put the XL50 letters and S/N at the 3 o'clock position and try again. Then try 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock if you're still not happy.

For all three of my XL-series lights, I screw the head back on with the model number and S/N aligned and get pretty good results (which is easy to remember).

There's been criticism of the light constantly drawing a standby current. I haven't yet measured the standby current, but it doesn't seem excessive when compared to similar lights. If you desire to store the light long term with cells inside, then unscrewing the tailcap about one full turn breaks the circuit and shuts off the standby current.
This is my biggest gripe about the XL-series. The standby current is 33.1 µA (or 0.0331 mA), which means that if you keep the light stored, you'll want to replace the battery every year or year and a half. I wouldn't use an XL-series light as an emergency light unless you keep the battery carrier outside.

Summing things up:

XL50 is a great light for the money IMO. Output and throw like nothing most people have ever experienced from such a compact light.

Since these can be found for 20 to 30 bucks at big box stores all across the USA, they are a very good option for non-flashaholic people who nevertheless appreciate having a good flashlight: hunters, fishermen, campers, and other outdoors people, tradesmen, etc.
Indeed, definately agree. In fact, an XL200 can be found for a little bit more, and it's even brighter and has a floody beam. I enjoy using it quite a bit for walking at night.

NWLumenoob

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting this review! As much as I'd love to have a Surefire and the Pelican police model, etc., Maglites are all I can afford for now. I've been considering an XLsomething for my next purchase. I'm a little confused though - you mention the XL200. Is that flashlight released, or not? Maglite.com doesn't list it, but brightguy.com offers them for sale. Amazon.com has a single outside vendor that has lots of horrible complaints if you google the vendor's name. No major local retailer that I can find even mentions them on their website.

Loved the XL50 review, thanks again.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
XL200 is just released, so it will take a while before retailers start listing it. In addition, the light is targeted for the sporting goods market, so you won't find it at Home Depot or Target.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XL-series probably has the most robust battery carrier of any flashlight. Even LED Lenser's battery carriers tend to have some wiggle, whereas the Maglite one is completely solid. Of course, it's one more part that could break, but I don't think it will happen.

Hi Robin, what battery carrier have you compared the XL50's with specifically? I have had 3 LED lensers, granted they weren't the best lights out there, but I found their gold plated contact battery carriers to be vastly superior to the XL50's in every category. And yes I'm am taking price into account. Strangely my mother carries around a $7.99 LED light that is some type of rebranded light and the battery carrier it uses is strikingly similar to the "robust" one the xl50 uses.http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/230690/Mini-Aluminum-LED-Flashlight/ I'm having trouble finding a pic of it, when I do I will give a link.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's been criticism of the plastic lens and Type 2 anodize, to which I respond: "This is a Mag that costs 25 bucks! Plastic lenses and Type 2 anodize come with the territory - get over it."

I agree with your assesment of the Type 2 anodize, one can't expect type III for this price, but I have to respectfully disagree with your comment on the plastic lens. Maglite is priding themselves for selling a "quality product" for a price everybody can afford. I see many other manufacturers selling lights in the same price range with glass lenses, and I feel it is safe to say that glass lenses are now considered the standard for nearly all makers of flashlights, except maglite. IMHO, one of the major factors that really adds to the cheapness of maglites is the plastic lenses. Granted, they can be easily swapped out in most models, but the fact that they are supplied from the factory with them, as I said, adds to the cheapness of the light. I don't see any reason why maglite can't supply a decent quality glass lens and still keep the light in the targeted price range. If one wants to make the argument for a plastic lens in the $7 incan mini mags and solitares then I can see that being a little more justified, but with these newer LED models coming out, going for the price they are asking, I don't think asking for a glass lens would be outragous, nearly every other manufacturer is doing it, why can't mag?

The new XL200 coming out is a good example, for $60 US dollars you are getting essentally an XL50 with a different emitter, for a much higher premium price. Is there any reason mag can't include a quality glass lens with it considering how much their asking price is over the XL50? I feel I am justified in saying that it is absolutley ridicilous to ask $60 US dollars for a light and still include the same cheap plastic lens as their cheaper models. Are we to believe that maglite is asking $35 dollars more for an updated XL50 and is not able to include a glass lens with it? Where is that extra $35 dollars going? I know updating the emitter shouldn't cost $35.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
One warning about this idea: the window is held in place by the reflector. If you remove the reflector, the window will not stay in place.

Yeah, I figured that'd be the case. I'll glue the window in or something similar.

A quick and dirty solution would be to stretch a small piece of Saran Wrap over the threads and hold it on with a rubber band. ;>

I really have no idea if this is a valid criticism as I have no experience with other brands with battery carriers. But, I do know that Mag is very good with warranty issues, even many years down the road.

One thing I noticed with my XL-series lights is that the way you screw the head back on could change the beam! What I do is I match the XL50 letters on the head with the serial number on the body. If the beam isn't satisfactory, put the XL50 letters and S/N at the 3 o'clock position and try again. Then try 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock if you're still not happy.

For all three of my XL-series lights, I screw the head back on with the model number and S/N aligned and get pretty good results (which is easy to remember).

Thanks for the tip. Makes sense to me, because the LED is bound to be off center at least slightly as is the hole in the reflector. This method gives you four chances to pick the optimum alignment of parts.

I'll try working through all four of the different alignments when I have the time.

This is my biggest gripe about the XL-series. The standby current is 33.1 µA (or 0.0331 mA), which means that if you keep the light stored, you'll want to replace the battery every year or year and a half. I wouldn't use an XL-series light as an emergency light unless you keep the battery carrier outside.

Have you tried loosening the tailcap one full turn or thereabouts?

As the tailcap is unscrewed, at some point the light will no longer respond to button clicks because the circuit is no longer complete. When you reach that point, then back it out just a bit more to be sure.

If the circuit is broken there won't be any standby current flowing.

When you want to use a light that has been stored away, it's much easier to tighten the tailcap down than to have to install a separate carrier carrier.

Indeed, definately agree. In fact, an XL200 can be found for a little bit more, and it's even brighter and has a floody beam. I enjoy using it quite a bit for walking at night.

Actually, going by Mags own figures, the XL50 is a little bit brighter than the XL200. But, the XL200 has considerably more overall output.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting this review! As much as I'd love to have a Surefire and the Pelican police model, etc., Maglites are all I can afford for now. I've been considering an XLsomething for my next purchase. I'm a little confused though - you mention the XL200. Is that flashlight released, or not? Maglite.com doesn't list it, but brightguy.com offers them for sale. Amazon.com has a single outside vendor that has lots of horrible complaints if you google the vendor's name. No major local retailer that I can find even mentions them on their website.

Loved the XL50 review, thanks again.

Typically Surefire and Pelican lights designed for use by police and emergency professionals are in a different class than Mag in terms of ruggedness and relibility under extreme conditions. Great lights, but that is reflected in their price.

They are probably more than the average person will need as they go about their life day to day.

For the price of a single Surefire 2AA, you could buy half-a-dozen Mag XL50s.

If your frontline XL50 is lost or stolen, or if it breaks down on you, then simply replace it with one that you have in reserve.

About Brightguy: his prices aren't always the lowest to be found on the InterWebs, but he is very relable and ships things out fast. Great to deal with. He is also knowledgable about the lights he carries and will answer questions over the phone.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price of a single Surefire 2AA, you could buy half-a-dozen Mag XL50s.

Gotta love that one, that is a classic example that is applied not just to flashlights but just about every item you can think of. Why buy that one when I can get X amount of these for the same price?

On another note, seems I was a little mixed up as far as pricing goes. According to robins review, I though the retail was going to be $60, however these seem to be going for around $40, mmm.....

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your assesment of the Type 2 anodize, one can't expect type III for this price, but I have to respectfully disagree with your comment on the plastic lens. Maglite is priding themselves for selling a "quality product" for a price everybody can afford. I see many other manufacturers selling lights in the same price range with glass lenses, and I feel it is safe to say that glass lenses are now considered the standard for nearly all makers of flashlights, except maglite. IMHO, one of the major factors that really adds to the cheapness of maglites is the plastic lenses. Granted, they can be easily swapped out in most models, but the fact that they are supplied from the factory with them, as I said, adds to the cheapness of the light. I don't see any reason why maglite can't supply a decent quality glass lens and still keep the light in the targeted price range. If one wants to make the argument for a plastic lens in the $7 incan mini mags and solitares then I can see that being a little more justified, but with these newer LED models coming out, going for the price they are asking, I don't think asking for a glass lens would be outragous, nearly every other manufacturer is doing it, why can't mag?

The cost differential between a glass lens versus a plastic lens wouldn't be that great.

I'd guess that Mag has looked at this issue carefully, and they have decided to stay with plastic lenses for what they think are good reasons.

Plastic lenses offer some advantages:

-Slightly less materials expense in manufacturing.

-Although more susceptible to surface scratches, plastic is less likely to crack due to drops and impacts.

I just don't see this as much of an issue.

Plastic lens will lose some percentage more light due to a higher level of attenuation.

If this attenuation is an issue, the designer can just bump up the drive current very slightly and still get whatever level output out the front of the light that he chooses.

I have very old Mags that have seen a lot of rough use over the years. Some have lenses that have some scratches, but not to the point that it adversely affects their output. If I noticed output being way down due to scratches, I'd just order a new lens from Mag.

I've replaced a few lenses over the years, but that was due to full blown cracks not scratches.

Think of those scratches as Nature's Way of providing you with a free diffuser. ;>

The new XL200 coming out is a good example, for $60 US dollars you are getting essentally an XL50 with a different emitter, for a much higher premium price. Is there any reason mag can't include a quality glass lens with it considering how much their asking price is over the XL50? I feel I am justified in saying that it is absolutley ridicilous to ask $60 US dollars for a light and still include the same cheap plastic lens as their cheaper models. Are we to believe that maglite is asking $35 dollars more for an updated XL50 and is not able to include a glass lens with it? Where is that extra $35 dollars going? I know updating the emitter shouldn't cost $35.

Xl50 is a helluva deal at 20 to 25 bucks, but less so at 30 bucks.

XL200 at 60 bucks isn't that good of a deal, because at this price it is competing against models from Streamlight, Pelican, and a host of Chinese makers.

However, BrightGuy is currently listing the XL200 at $41.25 so it will eventually be available at 40 bucks or slightly less at plenty of places.

XL200 at 40 bucks won't be a great deal like XL50 at 25 bucks, but isn't a bad deal IMO if you want or need its additional features.

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Yeah, I figured that'd be the case. I'll glue the window in or something similar.

A quick and dirty solution would be to stretch a small piece of Saran Wrap over the threads and hold it on with a rubber band. ;>

don't know if you've tried Glad Press'n Seal, but i think it would work well for this particular job. you can wrap it like Saran Wrap and it sticks well enough that you won't need the rubber band. when used over a bare emitter, like you propose, the Press'n Seal softens the hard edge of the beam without any of the polarizing effect it has on light that shines off of a reflector.

if you apply and remove, it does leave a tough sticky residue that requires acetone to dissolve, so it's better for metal surface than plastic surfaces.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't know if you've tried Glad Press'n Seal, but i think it would work well for this particular job. you can wrap it like Saran Wrap and it sticks well enough that you won't need the rubber band. when used over a bare emitter, like you propose, the Press'n Seal softens the hard edge of the beam without any of the polarizing effect it has on light that shines off of a reflector.

if you apply and remove, it does leave a tough sticky residue that requires acetone to dissolve, so it's better for metal surface than plastic surfaces.

Thanks for the good tips, robo.

I've heard good things about Press N Seal diffusers, but have yet to try it.

The output form the bare emitter seems very smooth and even - I don't know that it'd benefit much from an additional diffuser. I think I could read a book by this light for hours without eyestrain.

I was thinking more of keeping dust, and other environmental crud, off of the emitter dome in the long term.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
I was thinking more of keeping dust, and other environmental crud, off of the emitter dome in the long term.

i was just thinking, would a bezel from a Mini Mag fit the XL50 or are the threads different? if it fits, then you could take an old Minimag bezel, slap it on the front of the XL and you'd have a shorty XL mule.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was just thinking, would a bezel from a Mini Mag fit the XL50 or are the threads different? if it fits, then you could take an old Minimag bezel, slap it on the front of the XL and you'd have a shorty XL mule.

Good idea, robo, but I'm almost sure the threads won't match.

Mag uses an unusual multi-thread design - don't know the correct technical name - on the heads of MiniMags and Xl series. Several sets of threads sort of wrapped around each other, if that makes sense....

Yeah, just tried it and the threads don't match, as I expected.