Got to see some other Surefires

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I have a G3D and a G2X but I had the opportunity to hold a 6P, 9P, Aviator, E2DL, and the coveted AZ2. Yes, they're expensive, but darn do they feel good to hold and have beams of which I've only dreamed. I'm curious which models are taking the place of the 6P now that it's discontinued. The closest is the G2X, but it's design is very different and it can't be modded as easily, IIRC.

After trying them all out I like the AZ2's UI even better now: high and low beams instantly and intuitively accessible. Too bad the strobe version is gone.

Roger999

Enlightened
The G2X and 6PX will replace the G2L and 6PL, a poor decision IMO because of the crappy lens and sealed head.

As for the incan one, the 6P is still being sold at the moment.

yowzer

Enlightened
Surefire's pressure sensitive tailcap is one of my favorite flashlight UIs. It's perfect for momentary use or constant on low with brief uses of high (Constant on high is a bit of a pain, admittedly). There's a reason why 3 of my 4 multi-output SFs use it (LX2, A2, AZ2).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
After trying them all out I like the AZ2's UI even better now: high and low beams instantly and intuitively accessible. Too bad the strobe version is gone.

Was there a strobe version of the AZ2? Not that I know of. Are you referring to the Z2S with Strobe?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it looks like SF had a change of heart, as the 6P is no longer listed as discontinued (Thanks SF/PK/Dr. Matthews). So, 6P it away!

Xacto

Enlightened
Well, it looks like SF had a change of heart, as the 6P is no longer listed as discontinued (Thanks SF/PK/Dr. Matthews). So, 6P it away!

Wow, what great news! Now if we could only know for how long it will be this way. I just checked the website, 6P, 6PL and 6PDL are listed as available... Hail to whoever made that decision. (Addendum: Correction, the 6PL and 6PDL are shown with a price when one searches for every 6P light, but are marked discontinued on their respective sites)

@silentlurker
Get an original 6P and a 6PL. IMHO nothing beats the look and feel of that light. Get the 6P incan because of the Z44 head that you can upgrade with any aftermarket dropin (or keep and use the P60 bulb) and get the 6PL since I consider it a great allaround light (like the predecessor with the P60L dropin) with 120lumen. Since the LED is integrated in the KX4 head, that light can not be upgraded with just a new drop-in, but on the other hand the KX4 should be even better when it comes to heat dissipation)

Cheers
Thorsten

Last edited:

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
I bought my 6p incandescent NEW on ebay for 40 bucks and put a Malkoff M61W in it. No reason to get the LED version when you could pair it up with a malkoff instead for only a couple bucks more. My favorite light by far. Simple and tough as nails.