AA Drop-In Host?

JNieporte

Enlightened
We're all familiar with the P60-style drop-ins available. They're cheap, reliable, and versatile. I'm wondering if there's a AA-sized equivalanet, ie. if there's a AA host that will accomodate several different drop-ins. I know you can get a few different drop-ins for the MiniMag AA, but are there others?

Specifically, I'm looking for something to run with a single or double AA, or a single or double 14500. Output needs to be at least 200 lumens.

EDIT: Yes, I know that Solarforce makes the L2R for AA use; this is too thick for me. I really need something thinner.

EDITed again: Yes, I'm aware of many high-quality, high-output AA lights like the EagleTac P100A2 and the Fenix E21; I'm looking for a host that will accomodate drop-ins as I want to change it up.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 additional options:

1st option: The Malkoff MD2 head is much lower profile than the Solarforce L2 head. It doesn't have any lugs or strike bezel, or anti roll stuff so it's visibly smaller. You can then get an MD3 body for it and use one of the delrin battery sleeved from Overready. Now you've got a low profile 2 x AA light that takes any of Malkoff's low voltage drop ins (M31, M31w, M31L etc...). Remove the sleeve and it will also take 3 x cr123 if you've got a high voltage head.

2nd option: Surefire makes the E2L AA Outdoorsman. It is quite low profile as the E series tends to be, and it takes 2 AA. It puts out 80 "surefire" lumens, but It will also accept a VME head and you can run any of Malkoff's low voltage drop ins in that if you want more oomph.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA P60 hosts:

Solarforce L2r - just about all P60 dropins work in this host.
Malkoff Valiant "little twisty" - the Malkoff M31 works in this host and that is about it. Nothing else fits.
Dereelight Javelin - Some P60 dropins work and some need to be wrapped in foil to tape to get them to work.

I have all three of the above hosts.
- The L2r is by far the largest and heaviest (quite heavy) AA P60 host.
- The "little twisty" is by far the smallest 2AA light you will ever see though it is one of the brightest with the M31.
- The Javelin is nice and thin. It has a great shape, looks good, and is pretty light. Combined with any of the Dereelight low voltage drop-ins and you have a great little thrower (for an AA light).

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: Yes, I know that Solarforce makes the L2R for AA use; this is too thick for me. I really need something thinner.

I'm looking for a host that will accomodate drop-ins as I want to change it up.

My suggestion was based on this part of the original post.

The P20A2 MKII appears much thinner.

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion was based on this part of the original post.

The P20A2 MKII appears much thinner.

I completely forgot about Eagletac offering multiple drop in options for their P series lights. This is almost exactly what the OP was talking about. Wouldn't it be interesting if the Eagletac drop in became a standard the way the Surefire P60 did?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the only AA format light I currently have is a Zebralight H501w.(my kids have Quark AA2's) The P20A2 MKII has got me interested for the ability to swap modules.

rumack

Enlightened
The 3 cell Surefire hosts - 9P, G3, and C3 - also work as 2AA hosts for P60 drop-ins. The batteries will rattle but you can slip a thin cardboard sleeve around the batteries to take care of that. They aren't small hosts but they will survive a beating.