Streamlight Ultrastinger VS Surefire 8AX Commander

splitsec524

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm really close to buying one of these lights. Which do you think is better? The ultrastinger is going for a little under 90 bucks while the 8AX is going for 130 or so. But the AX does have two batteries. Also which is brighter because one boasts 75000 candlepower and the other says 110 lumens? How many candle power = 1 lumen? thanks for any help!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a fan of the 8X series of Surefires for a bunch of reasons...The Ultrastinger is much brighter than the 8X series of lights, and i feel is an overall better light for most applications.

--dan

Size15's

Flashaholic
Dano,

Any chance of getting some photos of the UltraStinger and other flashlights for to compare it?

I'd also like to read your views on why you don't like the SureFire 8X.

Thanks

I expect the reason why the UltraStinger is brighter could have something to do with the larger diameter reflector producing a more focused beam?
In which case, I too prefer a beam more suited for longer range applications such as the M3T.

The UltraStinger does not come with an spare battery or fast charger, or Military Level III Hard Anodising, not to mention an optically Anti-Reflective Tempered Pyrex Lens, And perhaps more importantly, the UltraStinger lacks a tail cap switch and is focusable - both features that cause problems.
I'm sure that when StreamLight starts offering these extras, included as standard on the SureFire 8AX, the prices will work out differently.

Al

redbird

Enlightened
I have both an Ultrastinger and SF 8x. I think they both have different places to be used.

I reach for the 8x most frequently because of it's size. However, when I opt for the brightest light the Ultrastinger is my light of choice.

I work in maintenance and am always using a light during the day and have different needs during that time. When I want the longest run time and most flexibility we reach for our Dewalt 12v snakelight. It runs very brightly for about 3hrs and the radio/charger always has a backup battery topped off.

Just to throw things off a little more, the E2 in HA is always on my belt
smile.gif
for a quick peek.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Redbird, I think you are right, the UltraStinger and the SureFire 8X are for different uses.

To reverse the situation, it'd be like comparing a SureFire 9NT with a StreamLight Stinger.

I don't know how the SuperStinger compares to the SureFire 9N in terms of brightness or runtime, but the 9N beats it on TailCap Switch and having a low output / long runtime lamp built into the same reflector.

A more fair comparison would be between a UltraStinger and a 9ANT - both have larger reflectors then the Standard models, and both are more powerful than the Stinger/8X basic models.

Comparison photos of the 9NT / 9ANT and the UltraStinger would be great to see.

Al

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not crazy about the 8X's because:
--one piece body, and that thin rubber seal on the bottom that is used for the momentary on/off of the light. I don't like that the bulb's springs are used as switch actuation for the light.
--the O-ring that seals the head to the body isn't thick enough to prevent adjustment problems when using the tail to activate the light. This is also a problem, as two hands are needed to screw the head down for constant "ON" ops. I blew out a few bulbs, and went thru a bunch of lens that melted when the light head accidently twisted, and turned the light on, without me knowing it. To cure this, I wrapped some black electrical tape around the O-ring, to tighten the junction up.
--The battery pack Surefire uses doesn't have sufficient capacity to run the bulb. With the NiCad technology currently available, Surefire could bump-up the amperage. The 8X just never seemed really bright to me, nor was the run time sufficient.

I'm currently doing an outline for what a Police duty light should/shouldn't have, and some of the fallicies of the Police/Tactical light...Stay tuned, as the 8X has, in my opinion, some flaws if its used in that type of scenario, just as an example...

--dan

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest disadvantage to me, with the Ultrastinger is the size. It is about twice as long as the 8X, and the reflector is much larger. A tailcap switch on the Ultra or Super Stinger is not a practical addition due to the length. The M10 is probably pushing it as far as length goes.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've only had the 8NX a short time. I'm already using it all the time, and taking full advantage of the two batteries and super fast recharge time.

To be honest, I would buy the 9AN with the KT3 if I wanted a flashlight of this type.

However, I have my heart set on a SureFire 10X.

Thanks Dano for your comments. I can begin to understand why you dislike the 8X. I use the LockOut TailCap so much with my other SureFires. It bugs me that the 8NX can not be disabled.

I use it for general utility. I've been abusing it a bit too. It can take some...

Unicorn, what is the "M10" you refer to?

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, dano, how do you turn on the 8X series - is it press the tailcap for momentary use, and turn the head for constant on ?
And when you say the battery pack isn't up to the bulb, does it produce the claimed 110 lumens for 50 minutes? I'm interested in the 8X models, and the spec seemed pretty good for a small rechargeable. Please clarify.
confused.gif
?

Al, I thought the 2001 version came with a LockOut tailcap as standard. Isn't there one available ?

lite-lover
frown.gif
frown.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 8NX I have does last for about 50 minutes. Personally, I like the brilliance of the white light, so using it constant-on, maybe 40 minutes, I'll swap the battery.

The 8NX atleast, like the G2, does not have a LockOut feature. You have some play with screwing the Bezel on, as to the amount of pressure it takes to push the 'switch' on the end. When the Bezel is screwed all the way on, the 8NX will stay on.

I don't know if the 8AX or 9AN have some sort of LockOut feature. I hope so!

I think Dano is kinda right about the B90 Battery. NiCads are old tech, and an NiMH battery/charger option from SureFire would be great to see!

Al

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Dano,

I don't know about yours, but the head of my 8X is easy enough to turn to "constant-on" that I can do it with the thumb of the hand that's holding it (tennis-racket style). The only time I need to use two hands to turn it to "constant-on" is when I'm already holding my thumb on the tail"cap" to turn it on momentarily, and I don't want it to shut off while I change my grip.

I have to agree with you on a couple points, though. First, the rubber diaphragm at the base of the body gives me the willies, too. I keep waiting for the day that it rips out. Second, although it hasn't happened to me yet, I really see the need for a way to shut it off so it stays off.

splitsec524

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I'm sorta getting confused about how to turn on the 8NX? Is it a button on the flashlight like the maglights or is it at the end of the flashlight??

Tim Flanagan

Newly Enlightened
Hey Splitsec- to turn on the 8NX, first you take it out to dinner after buying it a nice bottle...oh sorry.
grin.gif

The tail cap is momentary-on only. Push the button and the light comes on, let go and it shuts off. To turn the light to ON without having to hold the switch, you rotate the bezel until the light comes on. Reverse to shut it off.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
smile.gif
splitsec524, you're not the only one. I'm putting a dreamlist together, and every time I think I've decided on my final selection of Sure-Fires, some point I haven't even thought of thinking about is raised.

lite-lover
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
shocked.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you're asking if you think we think that SureFire may release a flashlight of the same scale/bulk of a 5D MagLight, then I think "No Way" would SureFire do that!

I mean, SureFire are the masters of the CombatLight, and their products reflect their desire to provide the very best illumination tools for all those that need to make informed life or death decisions in some of the most demanding situations.

Their products are small, light, tough, and above all bright. Now, I do see there being larger Reflector Bezel options on some models for improved long range illumination. But these will be combined with bodies like the M6 and B20. Not only is there a hand-held market for an ultra lightweight, powerful, long range illumination tool, but also some weapons would benefit from a 4-6" Reflector and 500 Lumens of concentrated blinding white light.

I don't believe that SureFire will develope the big bulky flashlights like other brands. Lithium Batterys such as the DL123A offer huge advantages over Alkalines. Yes, I do believe that we'll see new rechargeable technology from SureFire. I personally would love Lithium-Ion rechargeable equivalents to the DL123A, DL223A, DL323A and DL423A that SureFire offer.

So I don't think there'll be a SureFire 5D Cell Flashlight.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Sorry!

I took similar in terms of size rather than output... D'Oh!
tongue.gif

I do not have a 5D MagLight. If I did, I would have a Carley Lamp from Walt in it. However I wouldn't use it much.

Brock compares a his old 5D MagLight to "slightly brighter than a UKE 4AA or 2L" which to me suggests that the 8AX will have about twice as much light, and have a far more pure bright white beam. The MagLite will be able to focus to a smaller beam any maybe able to illuminated better at a distance, but compared to what the 8AX is designed for, the 5D is no match.

I hope others can help with this. Perhaps starting a new thread will help?

Al

splitsec524

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys thanks for all the help, but I got a few more questions!! How does the 8x compare to lets say a 5D Maglight? And do you think its wise to purchase this light since they are using old battery technology? Do you guys think surefire might release a light similar to this with better battery technology?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Not so fast on the Nicads. They are better than you might think. They are tough.

I understand that all low resistance batteries such as rechargeables, have power loss and therefore a poor shelf life. Nicads I am told...lose 10% per month and NIMH batteries lose a whopping 30% per month.

That is why it is risky to buy old NIMH batteries or nicads over a year old and then turbocharge them, although I have been lucky so far. I was told by reputable retailers that companies expect batteries to sell in 6 months so the batteries don't drop low enough to forget their respective polarity.

So, for old batteries warm gently and slow cook for 12 hours, like a frozen potroast.

I learned that shelf life figure AFTER I bought my NIMH (as in National Institute of Mental Health) batteries so I get to nurse my tempermental battery pack along all the rest of my life. So if I get an 8AXT I'll have two feeding schedules to observe.

Not that I'm sorry I bought the NIMH's. But ailing minds...

I also learned something else that is troubling about NIMH batteries. NIMH batteries are much more heat sensitive than Nicads and really shouldn't be charged rapidly UNLESS they have a thermistor (to warn of heating, oh best beloved).

So, would any of Surefire's chargers work for NIMH batteries, given what I have been LED to believe?

Unless Brock corrects me...there MUST be a three wire hookup somehow. That is why MR. Nightrider, the bicycle biggy, had to say he was sorry (in chinese) to a bunch of angry bikers who used their plug-and-forget chargers as slow-cookers all the hot summer.

There is, to the best of my knowledge...only ONE distributor of high performance headlight rechargeables (Light and Motion) who uses a thermistor. I believe the rest use timers, though Mr. Nightrider might have seen the light and reformed.

The tool people have the same problem. Some do and some do not use thermistors. Expect to lose half your lifetime if you do not...so I have been told my the authorities at Light and...

StJoe
wink.gif