Brightest EDC that still has a long runtime low setting?

thei

Newly Enlightened
It seemed this would fit better in a new thread… and I actually spent some time looking around and couldn't find anyone asking this recently, so…

What's the brightest small (i.e. single cell or at least not bigger than normal EDC kind of size) torch that still has a long, realistically dim low setting?

I need a new EDC because I left my last one in Kenya, and I was going to insist on AA batteries as I carry them for other reasons, but after looking around I've come to the conclusion that Li-Ion's are just so much better performing now that it's silly to stick to AA's.

I do need a reliable torch that will last a long time on a reasonably low setting as I do actually use it from time to time doing night walks and stuff (though ironically I do not like headlights), but let's face it – a $2 ebay torch would probably do the job, so I also want an extremely bright torch, so I can justify spending the money and show off a bit…

I can't justify spending much more than $100 on it.

Thanks heaps :)

Ian2381

Enlightened
Zebralight SC51

• High: H1 200 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 100 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 140 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
  • Medium: M1 30 Lm (9 hrs) or M2 8 Lm (30 hrs)
  • Low: L1 2.5 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.2 Lm (16 days)

robostudent5000

Enlightened
you'll probably get a lot of recs for the Zebra SC600 ($95). you might also want to take a look at the Shiningbeam S-mini ($45ish) and the Spark SL6's ($110). just be aware that there seems to be some issues with the larger 18650's not always fitting in these smaller lights.

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Zebralights. Awesome little lights. My EDC is an SC50w+ for nearly a year; it's so good I have yet to find anything to displace it. Nothing else has the combination of UI, small size, efficiency, and output that the Zebralights do.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to beat the Zebralights. IMO, the SC60w is about the best combination of brightness, runtime, and size. Obviously I prefer the neutral tint lights for an EDC. If you can give up some lumen and runtime then the SC30w or SC31w fits the bill best...very nice size for a true EDC.

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
4Sevens Qmini 123 - 2hrs on high (189lumens), 6.2hrs on med (43lumens), 150hrs low (3 lumens)

Fenix E15 - 4hr 16min on med (70 lumens), 30hrs low (10 lumens), 1hr 51min on high (140lumens)

Both run on CR123, but have a lot going for them in terms of brightness versus battery life compared to AA.

In the AA format Qmini AA will get you 2.25hrs on high (90lumens), 6.2hrs on med (21 lumens), 39hrs on low (3 lumens), but despite the lumen claims it doesn't seem to light things up the way the first two do.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
thei said:
Brightest EDC that still has a long runtime low setting?

Fenix E15 - 4hr 16min on med (70 lumens), 30hrs low (10 lumens), 1hr 51min on high (140lumens)

dmattaponi- per the OP's criteria, what's the advantage of the e15 over their longer but narrower pd10, which has an even lower low that runs for over twice as many hours, and a brighter high too? The e15 is cheaper, but both models are already less than half of the OP's stated budget for this one.

57ju8.jpg

(specs from fenix outfitters)

thei

Newly Enlightened
The ZebraLight SC600 is looking like the best pick so far… 750 lumens and a crazily long (80 days!?) ultra-low setting, along with a few usefully long, low settings… all from one 18650… sounds good. It looks like there's a few torches around that are a little brighter… but not by much. Shame there's not a neutral tint yet – they say August? Should I wait? Argh!

Not sure if I can source one in Australia, but with the exchange rate nowadays it's probably cheaper for me to get one shipped from the states anyway.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should definitely pick up a SC600, yes there are light's that are brighter but not in this size. Should you wait for the neutral well that is totally up to you, check out the SC600 thread there is probably 50 other members with the same dilemma and I've seen some of them give in and order the cool version now while others are sticking to it and waiting. Some of the members who caved in and bought it now said they could sell it at the Marketplace when the neutral comes out.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZebraLight SC600 is looking like the best pick so far… 750 lumens and a crazily long (80 days!?) ultra-low setting, along with a few usefully long, low settings… all from one 18650… sounds good. It looks like there's a few torches around that are a little brighter… but not by much. Shame there's not a neutral tint yet – they say August? Should I wait? Argh!

Not sure if I can source one in Australia, but with the exchange rate nowadays it's probably cheaper for me to get one shipped from the states anyway.

Zebralight has been getting better with getting their products out in about the time frame they said they would, but in the past they've been a little slow to get some lights to market. I'd say that we shouldn't expect to see the SC600w until at least August, if not well into it. If you want something now, and that is more compact and more carryable than the SC600, look at the SC60w. It's 'only' 270 lumens on high, but is considerably slimmer for better pocket carry, and also has the same low-low and long run times. It also has a pocket clip; several members here use SC60's as their EDC lights. I think the 600, as small as it is for the output it has, to be too big for EDC carry. Best yet, the SC60w is available right now, with no waiting other than shipping time.

thei

Newly Enlightened
What do people think comparing say, the Scorpion to the Zebralight SC600? I like that the Scorpion can take batteries other than the 18650 as I have some RCR123A's lying around (though apparently it's not recommended to use them) and it seems it's equivalently bright, if not brighter...

The SC60W sounds good, but I don't think I could bring myself to buy it, knowing the SC600 is so much brighter...

thomaswclardy

Newly Enlightened
Since you like AA but also want Li power- and it sounds like you want a small light for pocket carry....
Check out the Peak Logan 17500 QTC...
Amazing amazing....

thei

Newly Enlightened
Since you like AA but also want Li power- and it sounds like you want a small light for pocket carry....
Check out the Peak Logan 17500 QTC...
Amazing amazing....

The Logan 17500 QTC looks quite interesting, but even after quite a bit of looking I wasn't able to find the usual statistics on it (lumen output versus runtime etc.). I suppose it's a bit more complex to have those statistics when it's QTC perhaps... but from what I can tell, it won't be anywhere near as bright as something like the SC600, and without runtime stats, I've no way to know what kind of runtime to expect either.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The Logan 17500 QTC looks quite interesting, but even after quite a bit of looking I wasn't able to find the usual statistics on it (lumen output versus runtime etc.). I suppose it's a bit more complex to have those statistics when it's QTC perhaps... but from what I can tell, it won't be anywhere near as bright as something like the SC600, and without runtime stats, I've no way to know what kind of runtime to expect either.

Extrapolating a bit from Peak's reference tables, the Logan maximum output should be around 300 bulb lumens (or about 225 OTF, or 2500 candela) on a 17500 Li-Ion. Run-time on max should be (calculated, if I have done the math correctly) about 90 minutes to 50% output. On QTC at minimum output, run-time should be incredibly long. Although I don't think anyone has yet tested this with a 17500 cell, a CR123 primary lasted over 376 hours (!). I think most CR123's have 1300-1500 mah, while the AW 17500 have 1100 mah.

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
You can also wait for Armytek's EDC model which should be coming out real soon, So far they plan, no limit 3A drive (Not sure what they will do here thermal drop off or shut down) its going to be smaller than the ZL SC600, and fully programmable, to the utmost extent.

Still zebralight is an excellent choice as my current edc (until armyteks release) is the SC60w. Just love how i can choose super low, med or high without preflash or without knowing what it will be at. Love it! defiantly cant go wrong with either!.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
What alternatives would you suggest? I realise this isn't an alternatives thread... but everything I've looked at seems to indicate the SC600 is the brightest single-cell torch that still has an ultra-long runtime low setting... I also don't like the reliance on a single cell, and reports of a faulty switch and average customer service isn't ideal, but what's other choices are there?

(from the sc600 thread... saving you from a mod brow-beating!)

You know if the requirement is really brightest, you'll be lucky if anything's still so by the end of the year anyway. But everything else, your ideal low level, construction quality, beam quality, preferred battery type, & your choice of u.i. will. But try the sc600, there is no alternative to that now anyway. & I'm really the only one around here with an aversion to weird batteries. It's just the more i read about 18650's, the less excited i get.

thei

Newly Enlightened
(from the sc600 thread... saving you from a mod brow-beating!)

You know if the requirement is really brightest, you'll be lucky if anything's still so by the end of the year anyway. But everything else, your ideal low level, construction quality, beam quality, preferred battery type, & your choice of u.i. will. But try the sc600, there is no alternative to that now anyway. & I'm really the only one around here with an aversion to weird batteries. It's just the more i read about 18650's, the less excited i get.
Haha thanks.

Can I get one, in Australia, before Saturday night? Annoying shipping delays…

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha thanks.

Can I get one, in Australia, before Saturday night? Annoying shipping delays…

Torchworld have a great selection of lights and will have you something by Saturday with Express Post. I ordered a TK60 on Monday last week and had it by Thursday morning with normal post. Last year when I bought my TK40 it arrived the next day before 9:30am with Express Post.

FWIW I handled a TK15 today at LEGear and it's a nice light. Slight donut but nothing you'd worry about in real life (is there an XP-G with smooth reflector that doesn't have a slight donut?). Plenty bright and will run long times with it's lower modes.

I would have bought it except I got a TK41 instead (yes I know it's a AA version of the TK60, it's for the car), plus two HL21's (one balck, one yellow, top little headlamp) and Two EO5's. EO5 is a beaut little light, and I mean LITTLE.

Last edited:

thei

Newly Enlightened
Torchworld have a great selection of lights and will have you something by Saturday with Express Post. I ordered a TK60 on Monday last week and had it by Thursday morning with normal post. Last year when I bought my TK40 it arrived the next day before 9:30am.
Thanks, that is where I have bought my past torches from. Sadly though, they do not have the SC600. Not sure why not, it sounds very popular.

Edit: "[Torchworld] had made a decision to not stock 18650-only lights due to the difficulties in getting 18650 cells and chargers in Australia."

Last edited: