Blue Smoking LEDs - I found out why

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
I was playing around with one of my selfmade XM-L lights running @2.4A (took the reflector of) a few minutes ago when I noticed what was producing that "blue smoke" I read here on the forums a few times.

I tried to light a pencil on fire with that flashlight. I held it about 5mm away and it started smoking right away. A few seconds later it was melting. My accidently moved my hand and touched the dome of the led with the molten plastic. I turned the flashlight of looked at the led and I saw nothing on it. It turned it on again and it instantly started smoking.
I was like WTF?:confused:
Off and on again - still smoking.

So I took a magnifying glass and looked at the led. Then I saw a super tiny spot of plastic on the dome. I scraped it of with a needle and the smoke was gone. Impossible to see with the eye. Then I did some more research. :devil:

It also smokes with super tiny lints from cloths, fat from your finger when touching the dome, plastic dust, boring oil and a lot more. Even tiny amounts of it is enough to make the LED smoke. When you build a flashlight and a bit dirt comes on there it smokes. So next time when you have a smoking led just clean it and it stops smoking. No more heart attacks that you just fried a brand new SST90. :laughing: