Sooo..the EagleTac P20A2 MKII CREE S2 or XM-L?

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
On the countdown to buying my firat 'real' light and it has come to either the
EagleTac P20A2 MKII CREE S2

or

EagleTac P20A2 MKII XM-L

S2 a little more throw with brighter hotspot. I'm thinking the diffuser would mellow that out when I don't need it.

The Hm-L more lumens but wider flood, less of a throw.

So one or the other.

Last thoughts before I put on my big-boy panties?

Streamer

Enlightened
It's a win win choice. Eagle Tac's S2's I've heard are some of the nicest tints of them all. They selected their S2's wisely and NO GREEN TINTS.

You've got it right S2 for little more throw...XML for a wall of light. If that ain't enough, the heads are interchangeable so you can change at will

I've got the P20C2 with XML-T6 HO and love it. WHAT A WALL OF LIGHT !!!

Lighteous

Enlightened
It really comes down to your preference of either throw or flood. I bought an EagleTac P100a2 that has an XP-E R2 emitter so it really throws well. However, I find that I use my ThruNite XM-L 1C more because I prefer a wall of light. It's not often that I have to illuminate something far in the distance. I also have a Quark AA-2 with an XP-G S2 emitter. It would be a great light except for its awful green tint. Streamer says that ET has some of the best tinted S2's--a good thing. However, I am so turned off by the tint of the S2 in my Quark AA-2 that I wouldn't chance it again. If you want to chance the tint lottery, or if green doesn't bother you, or if you prefer an XM-L then all you have to do is choose. ET makes great lights and I have several. However, there are two reasons why I would instead opt for the 2-AA cell Quark or ThruNite Neutron: (1) each has a the firefly setting that the ET doesn't have; and (2) each has the ability to tail stand. However, if you choose one of the ET models, you'll get a great light. Good luck.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
Lighteous-I don't know if I like the HM-L or the s2. I know a few here have experience with one or both. I would likely go with more flood but my thinking is the s2 with more throw and a diffuser would give me a balance. :shrugs:

BTW-what the heck is a 'firefly' in terms of lights?

Napalm

Enlightened
BTW-what the heck is a 'firefly' in terms of lights?

A very low mode where the LED barely lights up.

I have both the S2 and XM-L, the S2 has a nice tint while the XM-L is towards blue-purple, as for beams I prefer the floodier XM-L.

Nap.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another good way to think of it is:
The old R2 gave us the best throw.
The new XM-L gives us the best flood.
While the current XP-G R5 & XP-G S2 gives us the best balance in between.

Now make your decision...

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
Napalm..ah, well, likely the really low setting on any of the lights won't do me any good with my eyesight.

PeterH...that's a good comparison. I think I'll go with the S2 then and use the diffuser except when I need more throw. Gonna go order my new light. :)

Last edited: