Best 2xAA flashlights for $60 or less??????

cplusplus

Newly Enlightened
-Descent thrower like the Fenix LD20 or more throw
-No purple or blueish color temperature want something that is close to white or neutral color.
-Momentary activation
-Water resistant to ip-8 standard
-2xAA only
-$60 or less
-No random unknown brands
-At least 180 lumens
-A lumen mode within the 50-100 lumens
-aluminum Type III hard-anodized or better

I'm thinking of getting the LD20, Jet-Beam BA20, Quark 2xAA tactical, or Eageltac P20a2 Any other suggestions or recommendations thank you

kramer5150

Flashaholic
IMHO you should add the LD25 to your list. Outstanding neutral color tint, very closely replicates the color temp of 11:00 sunlight. no added pink, yellow or green Just natural 5000K. I like the simplicity of its bezel twist mode selection too (which many other 2AA lights have as well). You should be aware though that that it looses its ~3 Lumen low mode with fresh alkalines or Lithium primaries.

Go with the Quark though if you want a programmable UI, very useful design IMHO.

Last edited:

DUMDUM

Enlightened
*Bob... :tsk: ... you know you are not allowed to be so blatant with your advertising on CPF. Peak has its own sub-forum... that is where your advertising should be. Thank you.*

Last edited by a moderator:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac P100A2 (neutral or cool)
Klarus P2A (I don't know if this is an exact twin of the Jetbeam BA20, but it seem like it)

bbb74

Enlightened
LD25 is a pretty perfect match for that. Neutral, 180 lumens with head tight, 45 lumens with head loosened (with other modes available but hidden), and its really well built. The plastic part is just grip over the top of aluminium body, so its nice to hold yet still very strong.

longboat

Newly Enlightened
TK20 if you can still find one. Max output is only like 145 lumens, but don't think you'll miss anything above that. Nice simple flashlight with great beam color.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skip the LD20. Get the LD25 with the beautiful neutral tint or P20A2 with a neutral tint. The Quark is not available with a neutral tint and it will most likely have a green tint (which is too bad because they are nice lights). I really disliked the tint on my LD20 and love the tint on my LD25. I also love the tint on my quark R4 neutral but as I seid, they have not made them in about 1 year. I don't know if you consider it a major brand but Dereelight makes a great 2AA thrower (the Javelin) available in a neutral tint. My Javelin has an XPE emitter with a 5c tint. You may be able to get an XPG with a neutral tint now (you would have to ask at flashlightconnection).

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Fenix E21. Only two modes and the beam is pretty focused.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
The JetBeam BA20 XP-G R5 is rated at 270 lumens. Two modes 30 & 270 lumens by twisting the bezel. $40 at shiningbeam.com
And it's water resistant to IPX-8.

Last edited:

lightside

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree with the Jetbeam BA20. I bought one a few months ago. It's very bright and the tint is nice. My dad thought $40 was too much for a light until he saw it. I had to get him one for Fathers Day.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the Quark! Can't go wrong with that! Plus they have great after sales service!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah forgot to add, i was in your exact same boat before, I've been using my Quark for almost a year now, I own several lights now, but it's still the Quark i EDC most of the time. It just works! (The modes, durability, reliability, etc)

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
Lumintop L2A, has the best throw for a 2xAA with a decent UI, not sure of the tint, though. Check out goinggear vids on youtube about the L2A and compare them to videos of some of the others you listed and you will see the throw is better because of a slightly larger head.

flame2000

Enlightened
How about you test drive some new stuff and let us know:

http://www.eagletac.com/beta/html/d_series/index.html

Nap. :devil:

That seems like a lot of twisting work just to switch modes!
Any idea why are there 2 sets of low/medium/turbo for the UI?

features_sub2.png

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
To alleviate the chorus of whiners that would otherwise complain loudly and frequently of the "disco modes"?

Nap.:sssh:

Exactly. I have another light that works just like this (4sevens? jeez, too many lights). My guess is you cycle through low, medium, turbo two times within a certain time frame, then you get access to strobe, flash, SOS, beacon. looks like EagleTac is in the process of FINALLY updating their web site. I think I just say a pig fly by.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark is not available with a neutral tint and it will most likely have a green tint (which is too bad because they are nice lights).

Hey Tre,
Do you have any of the Quarks with a R5 LED in it? I have 4 of em, and none are green; in fact, I really like the tint on my R5 Quarks. I do have one quark with the S2 LED in it, and man is it green & aweful. My R5's look very similar to my quarks with the R2 LED in em....no greens at all.

To the OP - I'd really recommend the Quark AA2 R5. The quark has a great beam patern with very good throw, and tint is a nice cool white. It is noticeably brighter than my Fenix LD20 R5. It has 5 very useful output options plus 3 blinky modes. The moonlight mode on the light is awesome & very useful when it's pitch black. It legos with my other quarks (quark AA, AA2, 123, & 18650 body.) It has a solid bezel-down clip with the option to get a "deep carry" pocket clip for EDC. It can use alkalines, lithiums, and NiMH batteries very well. If you lego it with a single cell quark like the quark AA or the quark 123 then you can use a Li-ion battery as well giving the light the same output as the 2 cell quarks. The quarks are very versatile & very well made.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I went through tons of AAs. Looked for a thrower.

The Eagletac P100A2. Done.

Jet-Beam BA20 is mainly floody. Also your not going to get 270 out of this(http://light-reviews.com/reviews_aa.html). I even had a Quark 2AA Turbo S2...

P100A2, call it a day. You need to look at more then just lumen rating the emitter types matters big time. Or learn the hard way. I don't like XM-L AA lights they are all flood. The P100A2 is brighter and slightly out throws the Fenix E21.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Tre,
Do you have any of the Quarks with a R5 LED in it? I have 4 of em, and none are green; in fact, I really like the tint on my R5 Quarks. I do have one quark with the S2 LED in it, and man is it green & aweful. My R5's look very similar to my quarks with the R2 LED in em....no greens at all.

I have two quarks with the XPG R5. They were not green. I had no issues with them other than they were cool and I'm not really a fan of cool tints. I replaced them with XPG R4 neutral quark heads about 1 year ago and sold the cool heads. I had 1 XPG S2 and it was green as my grass - yuck!