what flashlight do other people pick up on of yours the most? :)and why+whymightagree

SolemnSight

Banned
?simple question, why +++what do you tell them concerning flashlights, or ...(+) x-naying the title, how do you promote flashlights???
blessings

Tomcat!

Enlightened
I tell 'muggles' just one thing - buy a light and keep it with you all the time. I've tried so many times to explain the lights I carry to the unprepared who want to borrow them, but they just don't want to hear. They are focused only on the moment and forget once they've borrowed your light and done their thing. It always seems to come down to "You paid how much?" and then they shut down. Discussions on premium lights are pointless with most people because you will rarely convince them that there's more to a torch than just light. Even when Maglites were all the rage and desirable to gadgety people, the cost was always brought up and overshadowed any other positives.

So I don't bother talking tech to such people. I feel that my evangelism would be better used to demonstrate and convince them of the merits of EDC. Whether it's a small multi-tool, a light or even just some Band-Aids and hand wash, I think I'd be doing them a much more useful favour if I could convince them to be more prepared for their everyday environment. Too many folk just can't see beyond the unlikely chance that they might one day be caught unprepared in a situation to bother planning for it. I've had too many circular arguments with other Londoners who think I'm mad for carrying lights during the day, and yet the same people willingly put themselves in a moving metal casket 90ft below the surface of the planet five days a week as they travel to work on the Underground without considering that there is a real chance that the lights can (and do) go out, or the train will stop working. I've had it happen to me a few times and even before being diagnosed a flashaholic, would consider going underground without even a keychain light utterly stupid. One friend chided me about the Underground thing and said "But I have my mobile phone for any emergencies." Sure but who ya gonna call, Ghostbusters? No signal, no point! I've even given decent lights as presents in the hope of getting some people 'on board', but even that failed. They mostly just leave them in drawers at home because they don't want to damage them. They're tools for heaven's sake. Just how ham-fisted are you?

I once gave a friend a Fenix L2D CE Rebel as a birthday present as he never had a light in his house let alone in his backpack (which he carried everywhere). I showed him the ropes and figured a nice light might spark some thought about being more prepared, especially as he seemed interested in the good lights I had. I figured a long running LED that's versatile, controllable and cheap to feed would be an appreciated and useful present. A year later I realised I had never seen him use the Fenix, even when we'd been in situations where I'd drawn out a light. I asked him about it and got this reply. "Oh I bought a Mini Maglite instead. They're really good. You can replace the bulb. And it's silver."

Is it any wonder I've given up. Muggles in the dark can stay in the dark. I'll meet them on the other side.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only light of mine that "muggles" stay interested in once they hear the price is the ITP A3. I gifted a dozen or so and all of them made it to their respective owner's keyrings. Also, after playing with the one on my keychain, some guys at work and in the band ordered their own.

People who don't already EDC useful things are still interested in things that can fit on their keyring.

--flatline

River17

Newly Enlightened
My three main "collection-hobbies" are in no particular order: guns, knives, and flashlights. As I do when telling outsiders why I carry a knife all the time, I basically explain that (A) I don't carry it as a weapon, (B) I CERTAINLY don't carry it because I think it makes me "cool" or "tough", and (C) it is one of those things in which you never realize how useful it really is until you carry one all day. If it happens to be one of my more trusted friends I usually offer to let him or her carry a small name-brand knife or in the case of lights, a compact light such as a SureFire E1B or E1L for a day or two. Most of the time it seems that even if at the end of those days the friend still doesn't have the desire to carry a light, they are at least impressed by the brightness-to-size ratio and will admit the light is far more useful than they had previously thought. I have yet to convert anyone into a true full-fledged flashaholic although I do have one friend who is riiiiigggghhhttt there on the border. I've managed to convince a number of them to at least give flashlights another chance to the point at which they now own (and use) at least one quality flashlight. As far as those unfortunate souls who still don't feel they have any use for one, while I might not have won the battle per se I have absolutely saved myself a TON of ridicule and joking about the thousands of dollars I have invested in my light collection.

On a side note, I was literally cracking up as I read your post, Tomcat... and while I laugh at how clearly frustrated you are/were with the "muggles" I assure you it is not my taking pleasure in your woes but rather the laughter of a sympathetic soul who too has experienced such things firsthand. You see, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have been in very, very similar situations many times and have ended up with almost identical results. Flashlights just simply aren't for certain people no matter how hard one tries to introduce them properly. I've given many a light as a present only to watch it slip into the depths of the unused gadgetry on a shelf/in a box/at the back of a closet. I know that feeling, and I applaud you for describing it so accurately. I was frustrated FOR you as I read that and having been in those shoes before I sure can appreciate it!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You never know who is going to become interested in flashlights or when. I received a Surefire 6P as a present about 6 years ago. I had never heard of Surefire and I never gave flashlights any thought. Actually, I'd never heard of Maglite until I came to CPF! I knew this light was bright and used batteries that I wasn't going to replace when it wore out :)

The next year I received a Fenix 2 AA or AAA (can't remember and the light has now been stolen from my car) but I was a little more impressed when in a dark section of town on a rainy night while trying to find someone's street (and house) and I pointed that small light at the street sign while still in my car. The beam hit the sign easily (XR-E I'm guessing).

Another year or so past until I wanted to learn more about buying or making a LED dive light to replace my HID dive light. That's when I came upon CPF and after learning more and playing around with things a little more I became (somewhat) :) hooked.

I never try to get anyone too interested in lights because most of them just aren't :) I do give a few lights away however and some people do gradually get a bit more interested just in being around when lights are needed and they like mine a little better than whatever they have.

That's about all you can do I think :)

Last edited:

aimxplode

Enlightened
You never know who is going to become interested in flashlights or when. I received a Surefire 6P as a present about 6 years ago. I had never heard of Surefire and I never gave flashlights any thought. Actually, I'd never heard of Maglite until I came to CPF! I knew this light was bright and used batteries that I wasn't going to replace when it wore out :)

The next year I received a Fenix 2 AA or AAA (can't remember and the light has now been stolen from my car) but I was a little more impressed when in a dark section of town on a rainy night while trying to find someone's street (and house) and I pointed that small light at the street sign while still in my car. The beam hit the sign easily (XR-E I'm guessing).

Another year or so past until I wanted to learn more about buying or making a LED dive light to replace my HID dive light. That's when I came upon CPF and after learning more and playing around with things a little more I became (somewhat) :) hooked.

I never try to get anyone too interested in lights because most of them just aren't :) I do give a few lights away however and some people do gradually get a bit more interested just in being around when lights are needed and they like mine a little better than whatever they have.

That's about all you can do I think :)

Did you ever replace those batteries on the Surefire that wore out? :laughing:

Spin

Enlightened
My sister is afraid of the dark. My brother-inlaw & i suggest that she carry a very small light, (Fenix E01) in her pocketbook but she insists she doesn't need one. Other than her wallet, cellphone & keys the majority of her pocketbook consists of makeup. An E01 w/battery weighs about the same as lipstick. Someday she will need an emergency light......then i may suggest "again" that she carry a light......again she will refuse......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I quit!......sigh.........

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I just give them a fauxton and tell them to put it on their keys. Most do (cause they are so small and light), and some of those then come back some time later to tell me how useful they are. If they don't put it on their keys, well it only cost me 40c anyway.

I do a bit of camping, and lately I've given away a few "el-cheapo" 3xAAA headlamps to anyone I see struggling to erect their tent in the dark - that way I know they will actually appreciate the usefulness of a hands-free light (and again, at little real $ cost to me).

I also donate lights as "novice encouragement awards" at my dog club's agility trials.

I guess it is no surprise I am starting to be known as "the torch man" (torch = flashlight in Oz). A few friends who are semi-enthusiasts have even started started asking me to show them my "latest and greatest" light.

ryaxnb

Newly Enlightened
I gave my Dad a SolarForce L2i-R5 light. He keeps it in his car. As a forester, handyman & self-taught mechanic, my dad needs lights pretty regularly when he's working with cars or other motorized things, working in the woods later than expected, inspecting property, and checking out wiring/attics/basements etc. He uses it pretty frequently and is very happy with the light. Before this light, he kept a light in his car, but it tended to be pretty low on batteries, and of course he had/has a MagLite (2D) in his house that he uses pretty frequently.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
On a side note, I was literally cracking up as I read your post, Tomcat... and while I laugh at how clearly frustrated you are/were with the "muggles" I assure you it is not my taking pleasure in your woes but rather the laughter of a sympathetic soul who too has experienced such things firsthand. You see, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have been in very, very similar situations many times and have ended up with almost identical results. Flashlights just simply aren't for certain people no matter how hard one tries to introduce them properly. I've given many a light as a present only to watch it slip into the depths of the unused gadgetry on a shelf/in a box/at the back of a closet. I know that feeling, and I applaud you for describing it so accurately. I was frustrated FOR you as I read that and having been in those shoes before I sure can appreciate it!

Yes it is indeed frustrating when you can't open someone's eyes to a solution that's staring them in the face. This applies to so many things in life. I guess some people just have to get caught unprepared in a sticky situation before they'll learn a lesson. (Though for some, they will still be doomed to repeat the same mistakes.) I think I'll wait until I next place a big order with a US light supplier and tack on a handful of fauxtons (yours are so much cheaper than ours), and resort to a bit of stealthy guerilla tactics and improve their keychains without telling them.

If that doesn't work, I ought to get a gorilla to sit on them until they admit I'm right!:naughty:

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL Tomcat, we feel your frustration - many of us have had similar experiences! :green:

Non-flashoholics will always show some interest in a bright light: "Wow, that's bright!" etc., particularly if it has an impressive power to size ratio.

There's a good demo I sometimes do when people ask me about all my lights. I take a regular unmodified SureFire 6P or C2 and point the beam at the ceiling, then in front of their eyes I replace the LA with a Moddoo triple and the cells with 2x AW IMR18350s. The difference certainly gets their attention. But of course as soon as you mention the $$ involved, they immediately lose interest...

Tomcat!

Enlightened
LOL Tomcat, we feel your frustration - many of us have had similar experiences! :green:

Non-flashoholics will always show some interest in a bright light: "Wow, that's bright!" etc., particularly if it has an impressive power to size ratio.

There's a good demo I sometimes do when people ask me about all my lights. I take a regular unmodified SureFire 6P or C2 and point the beam at the ceiling, then in front of their eyes I replace the LA with a Moddoo triple and the cells with 2x AW IMR18350s. The difference certainly gets their attention. But of course as soon as you mention the $$ involved, they immediately lose interest...

You're right about the smaller lights garnering a better response. My faithful old Fenix P1DCE Q5 always does a sterling job of impressing the unenlightened, especially if they are proud of their large C/D cell plastic lump. The Q5 usually does a number on them in medium, and I do love saying "Actually it can go brighter." I suppose it's natural for them to expect that large must mean brighter. Regular folk are often tricked by zillion candle power hardware store spotlights with the satellite dish reflector and a halogen bulb. I always love the packaging with the plaid shirted guy blasting the night away with a solid pure white beam that can be seen in other countries, or the seemingly obligatory bolts of forked lightning which must surely be some sort of international standard for denoting it's power. (Perhaps CPFers ought to put an extra column in their output tables to include lightning equivalence!) With an emphasis on size, it's no wonder people are more impressed by smaller pocket rockets. They expect nuclear power from big lights and are conversely not that impressed.

:thinking: I wonder if some evil genius here could develop a AA sized ROP with the specific aim of boggling the minds of the unenlightened. It could have it's many cells hidden in a separate leg mounted battery pack, worn under the trousers, with the wires fed discreetly up through the shirt sleeve and into the light. A small speaker worn on the belt buckle would play Handel's Hallelujah Chorus when the light is fired up.
I name this project the WTF Muggle Blaster!

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking: I wonder if some evil genius here could develop a AA sized ROP with the specific aim of boggling the minds of the unenlightened. It could have it's many cells hidden in a separate leg mounted battery pack, worn under the trousers, with the wires fed discreetly up through the shirt sleeve and into the light. A small speaker worn on the belt buckle would play Handel's Hallelujah Chorus when the light is fired up.
I name this project the WTF Muggle Blaster!

Funny you should mention that. I had a dream last night about a doctor (I think) who was using a mega-bright 2AAA penlight. It was like the ROP of penlights! Unfortunately I woke up before I could ask him what his setup was.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, I always catch myself getting into technical details as well and have to stop myself when I see peoples' eyes glaze over. At that point, I usually flash the light around again which elicits ooooohs and ahhhhhhs and then suddenly none of it matters anymore... I gave up being frustrated a long time ago. Luckily I have a flashaholic friend who comes over at least once a week so I can unload everything I've been bottling up... :D

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
I tell 'muggles' just one thing - buy a light and keep it with you all the time. I've tried so many times to explain the lights I carry to the unprepared who want to borrow them, but they just don't want to hear. They are focused only on the moment and forget once they've borrowed your light and done their thing. It always seems to come down to "You paid how much?" and then they shut down. Discussions on premium lights are pointless with most people because you will rarely convince them that there's more to a torch than just light. Even when Maglites were all the rage and desirable to gadgety people, the cost was always brought up and overshadowed any other positives.

So I don't bother talking tech to such people. I feel that my evangelism would be better used to demonstrate and convince them of the merits of EDC. Whether it's a small multi-tool, a light or even just some Band-Aids and hand wash, I think I'd be doing them a much more useful favour if I could convince them to be more prepared for their everyday environment. Too many folk just can't see beyond the unlikely chance that they might one day be caught unprepared in a situation to bother planning for it. I've had too many circular arguments with other Londoners who think I'm mad for carrying lights during the day, and yet the same people willingly put themselves in a moving metal casket 90ft below the surface of the planet five days a week as they travel to work on the Underground without considering that there is a real chance that the lights can (and do) go out, or the train will stop working. I've had it happen to me a few times and even before being diagnosed a flashaholic, would consider going underground without even a keychain light utterly stupid. One friend chided me about the Underground thing and said "But I have my mobile phone for any emergencies." Sure but who ya gonna call, Ghostbusters? No signal, no point! I've even given decent lights as presents in the hope of getting some people 'on board', but even that failed. They mostly just leave them in drawers at home because they don't want to damage them. They're tools for heaven's sake. Just how ham-fisted are you?

I once gave a friend a Fenix L2D CE Rebel as a birthday present as he never had a light in his house let alone in his backpack (which he carried everywhere). I showed him the ropes and figured a nice light might spark some thought about being more prepared, especially as he seemed interested in the good lights I had. I figured a long running LED that's versatile, controllable and cheap to feed would be an appreciated and useful present. A year later I realised I had never seen him use the Fenix, even when we'd been in situations where I'd drawn out a light. I asked him about it and got this reply. "Oh I bought a Mini Maglite instead. They're really good. You can replace the bulb. And it's silver."

Is it any wonder I've given up. Muggles in the dark can stay in the dark. I'll meet them on the other side.

Your not the only one TomCat!!!

I too have given up, well thats not true, i have stopped telling or attempting to convice the people I currently know the uses of a knife or torch. But there will still be the pointless never ending discussions of me trying to convice *Muggles*.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Funny you should mention that. I had a dream last night about a doctor (I think) who was using a mega-bright 2AAA penlight. It was like the ROP of penlights! Unfortunately I woke up before I could ask him what his setup was.

LOL. I can just imagine that "Awww" moment of extreme disappointment when you realised it's only a dream. I had that once when I woke up and found Star Wars style Speeder Bikes don't exist. Bummed out for a week.

Hehe, I always catch myself getting into technical details as well and have to stop myself when I see peoples' eyes glaze over. At that point, I usually flash the light around again which elicits ooooohs and ahhhhhhs and then suddenly none of it matters anymore... I gave up being frustrated a long time ago. Luckily I have a flashaholic friend who comes over at least once a week so I can unload everything I've been bottling up... :D

Yup, done the tech thing too. When you hear yourself talk, you suddenly realise you're speaking ancient Geek.

Your not the only one TomCat!!!

I too have given up, well thats not true, i have stopped telling or attempting to convice the people I currently know the uses of a knife or torch. But there will still be the pointless never ending discussions of me trying to convice *Muggles*.

That's right. As much as we get annoyed, frustrated, or say we give up, it's like a moral code or a calling to still keep plugging away to help the unenlightened. If it wasn't, we'd never have spares for loan.