Civilian EDC flashlight recommendations (from checklist template) --noob

braveally

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I'm new here and found this template to be pretty handy. I'm looking for a decent edc flashlight that uses durable and reliable technology and also is as bright as can be. Check out the checklist I put together. Some of the lights I have been looking into include the 4sevens Preon 2 (really like this after Nutnfancy review), Fenix Pd20 and Ld05, LD15 (don't like the twist ui). So is there any others I should look into? Also, is there any guides on here that can give me an introduction to new flashlight technologies? I am still kinda new to quality lights.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Other, please specify $45 - $85

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Keychain size.
Every day carry small (2-4 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__x__I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). (although I doubt I can find one in the price range)

7) What battery type do you want to use?

__x_I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__x__I want to walk around an unlit rural area plus some (50-180 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

_x__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_x__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_x__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_x__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

_x__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

__x__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
_x__I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
_x__I want SOS mode.
_x__I want a beacon mode.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
__x__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

__x__Pocket/belt clip

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your answers pretty much point you to every available single single cr123a light in the market that does not have a twisty. I think that is why you don't have many answers. Can you narrow it down a bit?

cplusplus

Newly Enlightened
I would always recommend AA or AAA cells. Specialized batteries are expensive and not widely available. AA lights provide bright light without specialized cells compared to a decade ago when this wasn't true. Lithiums are only good in extremely cold weather like in Alaska. I strongly recommend you get Sanyo Eneloops. Eneloops are low self-discharge meaning they remain more capacity as time goes by and they last longer. Eneloops also perform well in cold weather 20 degrees Fahrenheit but not as good as lithium which can withstand lower temperatures. By buying lithium you might be wasting money on features you don't need.

mesnake92

Newly Enlightened
You could always splurge a little bit more and go with a Surefire E1B backup, or maybe even find it pretty cheap on the CPF Marketplace. It is perfect for pocket carry, and also has a high lumen output and a low lumen output.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you should look at a 4 Sevens Quark AA. Then also purchase an extra single CR123 battery tube. You will then have all the different battery options and lighting modes for the LED.

braveally

Newly Enlightened
Ok I'm trying to narrow down my options. I may end up getting 2 initially. I really want one in the pen form factor (Preon 2) and another with more output that I could possibly mount on my bike. Other than the pen light, I would like to keep under 4 inches. The Quark AA sounds interesting. Will using it with the CR123 tube identical in size to the Quark 123? I was looking at the site and think I would prefer the Quark 123 b/c of the increased input and smaller size. The surefire looks nice too, going to check the marketplace for these now.

AusKipper

Enlightened
After much umming and ahhing I ended up with a Quark Turbo 123 with optional flat tail cap for my EDC (flat tailcap to protect switch and prevent accidental pocket activations..)

Also means you get a spare tail cap.

Of course I brought that before the Turbo X was out :) (I think the Turbo X throws less than the regular though, so i'm still not really sure what I would pick... I like my throw)

Mdinana

Enlightened
Yeah, you want the EveryLight. Something bright enough to light 180 yards is going to practically blind you if you use it at 1 yard. The only lights that'll reliable throw that far will have smooth reflectors, ie, tight hotspots and and probably minimal flood. So, even if you have a multimode, you're still looking at a light that wouldn't be real good for up close.

4Sevens someone mentioned. some of the Fenix lights and JetBeam lights can do that. Most of the "tactical" lights are throwers more than flooders, but they tend to have fewer modes. A SF E2L on high can throw close to 80 yards, and the 5lumen is nice for close, but still very little flood - though they do have a filter for that.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Well, I have lots of flashlights. A few of them are shown in the pic below, so you can see some size comparisons. It sounds like you are looking for a relatively small, yet powerful, EDC light. If that's the case, then I would recommend the Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5. This is my EDC light and it's in my pocket every single time I leave the house.

For a true 'keychain' light, I use iTP EOS A3 'Upgrade' with a 10440 battery. This teeny light puts out over 300 lumens using that 10440 battery. It gets hot fast, but it sure packs a punch!

-