Driver for IR LEDs ??

Scattergun

Enlightened
I have been thinking of building a serious IR-thrower from one of the D-size MagLites, but I am a little curious about the voltage these LEDs are using! It seems most IR-LEDs are using something between 1,5-1,7 Volts at a relatively high Amperage. I could just hook up two in series to an ordinary driver, but then I´d have trouble getting an optic or a reflector for two. Is there a driver for one IR-LED available?

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
What current are you looking to drive this IR emitter at and what light do you want to use this in?

Scattergun

Enlightened
Something along the lines of 1,5A in a D-size Maglite but 1A is sufficient.

Scattergun

Enlightened
But that would limit me to a single alkaline cell or at most two NimH wouldn´t it?

Scattergun

Enlightened
So, if I understand you correctly, I could use a simple AMC7135 to regulate a current of say 1400mA from 2 or 3 D-cells and run a 1,5-1,7V IR LED safely. Will this driver regulate the Voltage to the correct spec?

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Yes because it is a current regulator.
However the AMC7135 is a linear regulator which burns the excess voltage to heat. Since it needs at least 2.7V you'll have poor efficiency.
the best efficiency you'll achieve is 1.7V/2.7V = 62%

Scattergun

Enlightened
But if I go under 2,7 the regulator will fall into direct drive won´t it?
Seems like a cheap solution to make a 2D MagLite into a IR flashlight though! I´ll order a 5W LED from Ebay and try it out with my NVG´s!

Scattergun

Enlightened
Well...that´s a problem...
What about a 3D Maglite and two 5W LEDs in series driven by a AMC7135?
I could use separate reflectors or optics, and just hide it under the IR-filter in front.