new rrt-0 got scratch by clip!

BigBonus

Newly Enlightened
four days ago I bought my first luxury torch, rrt-0. Everything is fine until yesterday, when I decide to clip on. a few scratches occur when I clip up and off, twice. Is that so called HAIII-hard-anodized tube too frail to clip up? Why does nobody mention it on the paper? I emailed JETBeam and they just promise me the improvment will be made on upcoming seires. My action is taken as human damage against the after-sale rules. And that's taking my fancy off, really.

yowzer

Enlightened
Scratches are a major drawback to clip-on clips. Even good anodizing like Jetbeams tend to have will scratch from the metal on metal contact. I can scratch some lights just by giving them a sharp glance, others take more, but they all start to show wear pretty soon. Unless it's a shelf queen you don't intend to ever actually use, I wouldn't sweat it. My RRT-0's showing a fair amount of wear to the anodizing on the tailcap bezel, and, frankly, considering how much I carry and use it, I'm surprised it's not more.

ragweed

Enlightened
Its obviously a defective hunk of junk hehhehheh. Send it to me for proper disposal ASAP..!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
No anodizing is scratch proof, not even HA. Surefire seems to have the best HA that I have seen and even then I still get the anodizing scratched out of my Surefire lights. It is a matter of how hard one scratches the light, not the type of anodizing used. Clip-on clips are the worst when it comes to putting scratches on your lights. Even the clip for my Zebralight SC600 is causing scratches on the anodizing. Either you learn to live with the clip or you change it to the screw on titanium clip offered by Nitecore for their Infilux series. I have that titanium clip fixed on the RRT-0 before I gave it to a friend.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigBonus, it is normal for the annodising to come off due to the clip, and those clips are not good anyway.
For a real clip, attached by two solid screws [there are already two screw holes on the RRT-0's tail for the Nitecore clip], you must purchase them from the Nitecore spare parts department; Nitecore and Jetbeam are owned by the same parent company.

Get a black Niko pen, and paint over those scratches; it will help to disguise and enjoy.

While you are here, may I remind you NOT to carry your flashlight with keys and coins, because that will scratch the annodising off too.

One last word, in case you are thinking polished titanium is any better, be careful - my wife carries her TC-R2 Ti in her handbag with keys and coins, and while there is no annodising, the polished titanium surface is all scratched; unfortunately no Niko pen can help this...

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a case of what we call unrealistic expectations. HA is not diamond, and even diamond could be cut.

aimxplode

Enlightened
I think this is a case of what we call unrealistic expectations. HA is not diamond, and even diamond could be cut.

Unless the diamond is carried in your pocket with other diamonds, it would be very unlikely to be cut.

four days ago I bought my first luxury torch, rrt-0. Everything is fine until yesterday, when I decide to clip on. a few scratches occur when I clip up and off, twice. Is that so called HAIII-hard-anodized tube too frail to clip up? Why does nobody mention it on the paper? I emailed JETBeam and they just promise me the improvment will be made on upcoming seires. My action is taken as human damage against the after-sale rules. And that's taking my fancy off, really.

This happened when I first got my RRT-0 too! It was horrible because it was so easily scratched by the clip. After a while I just stopped worrying and inspecting every inch of the light and started to enjoy it for what it is. The scratches havent bothered be since, but I will never use that clip again.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Unless the diamond is carried in your pocket with other diamonds, it would be very unlikely to be cut."
Everyday use involves minor friction, even a jeans would wear your light if you kept em rubbing aganist each other
Ive been using my C2, honestly i didnt treat it bad, at least i dont crack it with anything but still, the edge wears, i would never blame anything or anyone
Its natural process! When you use a thing, it decays for sure!
It gets severe if you use it brutely, like putting it down ungently
If you want to keep it perfect, either use a cotton cloth(uses to clean glasses) to wrap it before you put it in your pocket
(Thats why theres some cotton-clothed bags for $$$ Watches like R0lex)
Or just keep it on the shelf.

aimxplode

Enlightened
"Unless the diamond is carried in your pocket with other diamonds, it would be very unlikely to be cut."
Everyday use involves minor friction, even a jeans would wear your light if you kept em rubbing aganist each other
Ive been using my C2, honestly i didnt treat it bad, at least i dont crack it with anything but still, the edge wears, i would never blame anything or anyone
Its natural process! When you use a thing, it decays for sure!
It gets severe if you use it brutely, like putting it down ungently
If you want to keep it perfect, either use a cotton cloth(uses to clean glasses) to wrap it before you put it in your pocket
(Thats why theres some cotton-clothed bags for $$$ Watches like R0lex)
Or just keep it on the shelf.

I think you misread my post.

OCD

Enlightened
After managing to strip the threads on my nitecore clip screws, I put my stock clip on my RRT-0. it had its share of battle scars from being dropped. It never did scratch the light.

BigBonus

Newly Enlightened
Unless the diamond is carried in your pocket with other diamonds, it would be very unlikely to be cut.

This happened when I first got my RRT-0 too! It was horrible because it was so easily scratched by the clip. After a while I just stopped worrying and inspecting every inch of the light and started to enjoy it for what it is. The scratches havent bothered be since, but I will never use that clip again.

Thanks for tips. You know exactly what I'm worry about.

HAIII-hard-anodized should be thought of HAIII-soft-anodized cause it can't protect from scratching in many ways but change the surface color. Only its not so soft than HA-grade-anodized!

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I never liked that stock clip myself because of it scratching the body. I had to resort to this. It's the Nitecore D10 clip. It was before the new Nitecore Ti clip was offered by BOG. Had a friend tap some screw holes. The bezel is an HDS/Aleph bezel from 4sevens also before one was offered by JB and BOG.

DSC03054.jpg

Last edited: