headlamp/handheld throw/flood for camping

Do you like spot or spill in your headlamp or handheld?

• Headlamp = Throw, Handheld = Flood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Headlamp = Flood, Handheld = Throw

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Both Flood

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Both Throw

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I meant 'Throw' or 'Flood' btw...

I plan on getting a headlamp and a handheld for outdoor use, lets use the example of backpacking / camping. I am sure many of you have used lights for this purpose, and have both headlamps and handhelds. I'm still new to LED's and actually having such a range of choices and beam profiles, etc. So I wonder what kind of beam profiles you all prefer for outdoor stuff like hiking/camping. What I was thinking was a flood style headlamp and a flashlight with some more throw.

Now when I say throw I dont mean a super duper spotlight but just your average spot+spill. Hope I am using ok terminology I'm pretty new here still.

I figured the HL forum would be better since I figure everyone with a headlamp probably has a handheld too, but no necessarily the other way around.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do what you suggest except that my hand held is pure throw. It's small but it has an aspheric lens so no spill and pure throw. I only use it if I need to spot something. Otherwise I use the headlamp for everything.

I might have a 1 AAA light on a string around my neck just so I always have a light with me even if the headlamp and throw aren't on me (such as when I'm in the tent).

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the considerations (especially if you don't have a large collection of lights, rechargeable battery types and chargers) would be to keep things simple by choosing a headlamp and handheld that both use the same type of batteries. I typically favor lights that run AA batteries in most cases because batteries are readily available and inexpensive, and there are many AA lights (headlamps and handheld) that area relatively small/lightweight but still pack a lot of punch. In any case, I'd likely go with a headlamp and handheld that both run on AA, CR123A or 18650, and I'd use rechargeable batteries (just personal preference) no matter which of those I chose.

Another interesting option to consider might be a Fenix Headband so you could place both your headlamp and throw light on the headband and keep your hands free at all times.

I've been using one of these when I go fishing (sometimes out after dark or before sunrise) and have my hands full with fishing gear and don't want to have to fumble around with a handheld light. The headlamp part is great for seeing what's in my immediate vicinity and gets used most often for changing baits, unhooking fish and seeing what's at my feet, but I turn the throw light on once in a while when I need to see farther ahead or want to check out my surrounds in more detail.

You can see a few configurations in this thread (at least the ones I've been experimenting with) and see comments a few other folks have about the Fenix Headband as well.

Fenix Headband + Throw Light + ZebraLight Flood

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walm has an xpe (two bond wires) colman max 144 lumens rating. The throw is impressive for price of $25.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually have a reflectored HL but have a bit of removable scotch tape (frosted)
you can easily make a throwy light floody but not the opposite.
low modes on a reflectored HL while not as ideal as a pure flood can work well
in a backpacking or camping situation. especially neutral tints.

my throw light (aspheric XR-E) is throwier than my HL so I guess I could vote
for the standard set up even tho my HL is reflectored.

guess I dont exactly fit in ;)

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
psychbeat - Well thats about the same lines as what I was thinking as well. I didnt necessarily mean pure flood vs pure throw, just more floodier vs more throwier if you get me. I to am thinking a reflectored HL like a ZL H51 and some diffuser material/tape to soften it a bit but not permanently.

varuscelli - yeah I have already decided on AA format for exactly that reason. I know it will never pack the punch of Li-ion but I've already got lots of NiMh and a Lacross 9009. Also for camping/hiking my camera is AA so I like to keep everything on the same battery. I've seen that thread too, lots off possibilities with that headband.

Last edited:

mbw_151

Enlightened
Just dinking around in camp, a pure flood headlamp works great. I still like the old Zebra H30W and H501w. If you start doing some hiking at night then a little more throw in the headlamp is necessary. Here I like the Surefire Saint and Princeton Tech EOS. When you can't decide which way to go, then a couple hundred lumens of throw is really handy. You don't need it for hours, but for the few minutes you do need it nothing else will do.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
hsb1.png

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with a zebralight on both head lamp-flood and handheld-all around beam. I would get whichever model has the batteries you want to use so spares would work on both models.....Robert.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Bolster, yeah I saw your other survey thread (but not until after I made this poll), good job and a few more options than I gave :thumbsup:

Just thought it would be fun to post my first poll... and to kinda help me decide on which kind of lights to buy.

Blackbalsam - I tend to agree with your thinking. Pure flood and pure throw have limited uses, though for those uses it would seem they work very well. The regular ZL's seem to have a nice balance, more general purpose. I just ordered an H51W headlamp (have not received it yet), and will be watching for the first reviews of the ZL T5 and Q50. I really wanted a 2xAA more 'tactical' looking handheld to go with my HL and had narrowed down my choice to the Klarus ST20, it seems to have a nice smooth beam that would also be very usefull, more lumens (240) and longer runtime, as well as an interface that I really like (easy access to super low, strobe, and memory on the main mode). And its light. But only in CW... I am holding off to see how I like the neutral ZL, if I really like it I dont know if I will like to mix in a CW also, I might want to stick to the same color tone, but that of course limits my choices considerably, and I am really digging the Klarus. Almost ordered the H51 just to not have the warm, so I could get the Klarus, but so many positive reviews on the W that I couldnt ignore.

Last edited: