Fenix TK70 vs Maelstrom S12 vs Maelstrom G5 vs 35W HID Beamshot comparison

Houdiny

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!
Last night I went out to test the Fenix TK70 against a Chinese 35W HID, a 4Sevens Maelstrom S12 and a G5 S2.

I thought you guys probably wanted to see some real life beamshots. Here we go...

First the TK70 on Turbo
tk70turbo.jpg

Then the 35W HID running @35W
35whid35.jpg

Next the 35W running @ 28W
35whid28.jpg

The 4Sevens Maelstrom S12 on high
s12high.jpg

4Sevens Maelstrom G5 S2 Edition on High
g5high.jpg

Enlightened
Hmm....the 35W Microfire warrior seems to be really low in performance. There were some shots between that and the TK70 and the TK70 smoked it.

This is mine, Chinese 65W....it's my worst HID thrower....actually it is not a thrower but more of a flood light with huge corona (not spill) :D

Hope you don't mind...

TK70, and then the 65W chinese HID

large.jpg
g

large.jpg

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the original pictures, see the two faces in the trees? The left face is a guy with a goatee. The right face is an old man with a pointy nose and his mouth open. :)

:eek:

Oh wow the old man especially- good call! I find those all the time in wall textures.

(edit)If you go micro, ignore his pointy beard & tall hair, then just see the smaller head around that face, the one on the left looks better proportioned. Just within a tree now, not perfect, with the whole tree neck & all like the old man.

Last edited:

Houdiny

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, now that you mention the faces I see them. Nice!
Btw, my 35W HID is not a Microfire Warrior. It's a Oracle/Tactical/Whatever two mode 35W chinese HID light. In fact I was surprised that it performed a bit better than the TK70.

Enlightened
Oh yeah, now that you mention the faces I see them. Nice!
Btw, my 35W HID is not a Microfire Warrior. It's a Oracle/Tactical/Whatever two mode 35W chinese HID light. In fact I was surprised that it performed a bit better than the TK70.

No worries, i know, mine is the same model as yours (actually I have 2, and i have quite a number of them in service in another country). If you want to know, my 65W model gets about 2.2X more lumens in a ceiling bounce than the TK70.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
I've had several 24W & 35W HID lights over the years, and the only HID I've ever had (or in this case still have), in my collection that can out throw my TK70 is my MaxaBeam with the beam converged. Of course, it will out throw just about everything, though obviously not all.

I also have an SR90 that does indeed out throw the TK70 by a small amount, while putting out less light (thanks to the large reflector of course). If I had to chose between my TK70 and my SR90, I'd take the TK70 as it's certainly a much more versatile light, that does indeed out perform all but the really high dollar HID units.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Very nice pics in the original post. I apologize if you feel these are muddling up your thead and will gladly remove them if the OP wished, but here are a few beamshots that I had done. I had posted these in the Dedicated throwers thread, but here are a couple. While the TK70 is a powerful light and I'd like to have one for a comparison photo, I don't think it would seem as impressive as the VPT considering the size difference in the lights. Maybe now that the VPT becomes available in a week it will get more recoginition. Not only is it matching or exceeding the lux of the SR-90 and putting OTF over 2000 lumens, it also has over 30 levels and allows you to access to each level without ramping up or down through the levels, since you turn the knob to adjust and push to activate. These are at 1038' to barn.

distance3.jpg

DSCN0060.JPG

DSCN0048.JPG

DSCN0049.JPG

DSCN0046.JPG

DSCN0053.JPG

DSCN0054.JPG

GIF SR90 v VPT
sr90VPT.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts