Surefire SW02

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know if the rubber guard can be removed and the internals upgraded to a McClicky?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen pictures of the z48/z49 with the same rubber shroud removed, so I imagine the same could be done to the SW02, not sure about the mcclicky though. It would have to be a brave soul attempting such a modification though, these SW02's are hard to come by and highly sought after, not the type of tailcap I personally would want to modify.

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I know what you mean, hard to come by and pricey if you do come across one. Looking at this as an alternative to an SW01 which is impossible to find. SW02s seem easier to come by but just not a big fan of the shroud and just adds unneeded length for my use.

red_hackle

Enlightened
Does anybody know if the rubber guard can be removed and the internals upgraded to a McClicky?

I think this has been discussed elsewhere already... :thinking: If memory serves correctly the switch internals are accessed from the other end (i.e. unscrewing the finely ribbed ring on the other side after breaking the thread locker), but I don't think you can fit a McClicky in there. The rubber guards also are a pain to get off (and even more to get back on again) - A guy in Surefire's customer service department told me they are molded directly around the switch.

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I actually found that thread after posting this. I guess the McClicky is out of the question. Is there any mods you can do to the SW02 to get rid of the raised switch?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have removed (and put back on) the rubber shroud on both of my SW02's many times. As mentioned above, it is difficult to remove and even more difficult to put back on. You will need some strong fingers and strong hands to pull/pry it off and put it back on. There is no adhesive to worry about.

I have found the most success removing the rubber shroud by putting the SW02 onto a light, holding onto the light with one hand, and prying the rubber shroud straight off with my thumb or palm of my hand. To put it back on, I push the bottom of the rubber shroud onto the top of the tailcap, then press down while kind of rotating/twisting/turning it onto the switch. Don't get discouraged if/when you fail to completely re-install the shroud the first, second or third time. It takes a bit of work and effort, but it will go back on good as new eventually.

The McClicky switch does not work with the SW02 (as far as I know). I have quite a few McClickie-modified tailcaps. I have not tried to put one into the SW02 because I don't find it necessary to do so. The SW02 works perfectly for me as it is.

The SW02 tailcaps are generally regarded as the most robust and reliable clickies that Surefire has ever made. Both my SW02's have been heavily used for a few years, working flawlessly every time. I would discourage any attempts to modify the guts of them. I know they have a harder press movement than the McClikies, but I dare say they are equally as useful and reliable, which is impressive considering how excellent the McClickies are.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I gave up after attempting to put the shroud back on. I'm sure if I was sufficiently motivated, and perhaps warmed it up first I could put it back on...
SureFire%20XM%20&%20UM%20&%20SW02%20TailCaps%202.jpg

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure why these SW tailcaps seem to be so desirable for average users. The SW01 and SW02 tailcaps look quite sharp and uncomfortable if you ask me, but then again I'm sure they weren't designed to be comfortable. Weren't these things designed so that the operator could have a secure grip under the worst circumstances?

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure why these SW tailcaps seem to be so desirable for average users. The SW01 and SW02 tailcaps look quite sharp and uncomfortable if you ask me, but then again I'm sure they weren't designed to be comfortable. Weren't these things designed so that the operator could have a secure grip under the worst circumstances?

My thinking:
SW02 allows a cigar grip for perfect round body like 6P
It looks cool, subjective
Its discontinued, collector's item
1 more, it prevents the light from slipping out of ur hand, like the grip ring on C or Z and SWM V20C

Last edited:

indadark

Newly Enlightened
I think I'll leave it as it is and pick up a SW01 if it ever becomes available (i.e. I'm the first to spot it) on the B/S/T.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

The McClicky kit converts lights that are twisty into clicky. Similar to the Z48, the SW02 is already clicky and does not match the internals of the Z41 (for which the McClicky kit was designed). The SW01 is twisty and will get you what you want.

indadark

Newly Enlightened
The McClicky kit converts lights that are twisty into clicky. Similar to the Z48, the SW02 is already clicky and does not match the internals of the Z41 (for which the McClicky kit was designed). The SW01 is twisty and will get you what you want.

Sorry I guess there was some confusion as to my intent as I didn't make it clear in my OP. Because of the rarity of the SW01, I was hoping to replace the internals of the SW02 with a McClicky and turning it into a reasonable facsimile of the SW01 by doing away with the extended switch and rubber shroud. From what I'm hearing, that mod doesn't seem to be possible, and if it is, is well beyond my newb modding skills.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 SW01 switches and 2 SW02 switches. I use all 4 of them as twisties on M4 and Leef bodied lights. The SW01 is very comfortable *and* it provides a secure grip. The SW01 was used on many weaponlights as was the SW02. The SW02 will also function as a clickie. They are sturdy, well made switches.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SW02 isn't 'sharp' at all. I think it works great on the M4 to provide better grip and security.

+1 on what Al said.

I use mine on my Leef 2x18650/3x18650 bodies when I use them caving and camping.

It is reassuring to have the flared SW02 at the tail end of the light in wet/muddy conditions.:thumbsup: