Good All Around Flashlight for $100?

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a good all around flashlight to use around the house and backyard. Size isn't too much of a concern, but I would like some thing that can put out some lumens when called for. I'm willing to go up to $150 max.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
. _X___Less than $150
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.

____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
X____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

_X___I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

Doesn't matter, just nothing exotic. Cr123 are fine
____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
X____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark /garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_X___90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
__X__Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
__X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately
_X___I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select
Either one below would be nice, but definitely not necessary.
____Pocket/belt clip
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard

egrep

Enlightened
The RRT-0 from Jetbeam is a good choice. It's got an infinitely variable control ring, not 2 modes though. I prefer the greater control an the ring gives. Get it with an OP (Orange Peel) reflector for flood. if you want it floodier, get some diffusion film. Get the AA extender so you can power with CR123 or AA batteries. You can use lithium batteries too.

You'll get a lot of advice. Lots of great lights out there.

PCS

Newly Enlightened
You might want to check out the 4Sevens Quark X 123² Tactical.

1) You would buy it online.
2) It's $68.99 (before discount) and therefore well within your budget.
3) It's a flashlight!
4) It's 4.5 inches in length.
5) It's an LED flashlight!
6) It's ready to go right out of the box. They even include batteries.
7) It uses CR123's (included).
8) On its highest setting, it starts up pretty darn bright, heat regulation kicks in after three minutes, and it settles at 360 lumens.
9) XML LED/small head. Very bright, wide, floody beam.
10) The XML is quite efficient with CR123's, and 4sevens does particularly well with runtimes.
11) It's quite durable. If it breaks, you can complain to the owner of the company. He hangs out in the CPF Marketplace.
12) You don't care. (It's a forward clicky on the tailcap.)
13) It's programmable to two modes. You can choose what those two modes are.
14) You don't care. (Type III hard anodized aluminum.)
15) No special needs/extras cited. (It comes with a holster, hand grip, lanyard, and O-rings.)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out HDS. The Rotaries are above your price limit, but there are some excellent Clicky models within your budget.

If you want something larger, the Armytek Predator is excellent, although it might be too throwy for general use.

The Zebralight SC600 has more modes than you want, but the UI makes it easy to avoid unwanted modes as long as you don't need something between the highest low and the lowest high modes.

Any of the 47s Quark variants will do what you need, specifically the tactical models if you're really serious about having a small number of modes.

The simple fact that you're willing to pay more than, say, $60 means there are lots of good lights that will meet your requirements. The decision might be hard, but you'll end up with a great light.

--flatline

Last edited:

Broker

Newly Enlightened
May I suggest the Fenix TK-50. About $85.00. Plenty of light out the front, a lot of throw, multiple levels, & long run time on common batteries (D). Oh, it's HAlll, too.

PCS

Newly Enlightened
There are a number of lights that meet every single one of your requirements. As flatline pointed out, the 4sevens Quark 123² Tactical line all do. (I recommended the latest XML model. The R5 version does as well.) There are others:

Fenix TK11
JetBeam BC20
JetBeam JET III M
Surefire 6PX Pro

Basically, you're looking for a small, floody, 2-mode light that outputs at least 150 lumens and runs on CR123 batteries for under $150.00 (or $100.00). The Surefire usually goes for around $115.00, but I've been seeing it NIP for less than $100.00 on eBay recently. The JetBeam BC20 goes for a little over $40.00 and the rest are in the $70.00 - $90.00 range.

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick responses. Just quickly looking, the zebra sc600, Foursevens quarks, and jet beams look interesting. The zebra I must say looks the most tempting. What would be it's stiffest competition, since I'm looking for more of a mid range floody light.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick responses. Just quickly looking, the zebra sc600, Foursevens quarks, and jet beams look interesting. The zebra I must say looks the most tempting. What would be it's stiffest competition, since I'm looking for more of a mid range floody light.

The "budget" version of the SC600 would probably be the SC60 or the SC51. They have the same and a similar beam, but less output and less expensive. They also have better clips, if that matters to you.

If your looking for a non-Zebralight "budget" competitor, then perhaps take a look at Shiningbeam's XML lights (Blaze, S-mini, and maybe the MG P-Rocket). All these are more traditional than the Zebras, but they should have a similar floody beam and come in at about half the price as the SC600. These lights are probably the best bang-for-the-buck that you'll find in a light that comes from a reputable dealer.

--flatline

--flatline

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your in Malkoff md2 with m61 and hi/lo ring price range.

Or an Eagletac t20c2 mkII with the HO XML module, charger and some batteries.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the SureFire G2X Pro covers all of your requirements. It's hard to beat for the money.

-Robert

Chidwack

Enlightened
I just got two new lights. Both run on AA batteries and meet your criteria. Jetbeam BA20 and Klarus P2A. Both are $40 and both have just two modes. High and low. Both put out lots of light at 245-270 lumens. When using 2700 mAh NiMh batteries I get about 2 hours run time on high and 33-35 hours on low. I love both these lights. If you want a small backup that has the ability to really light up a room, take a look at the Xeno E03. Drop it in your shirt pocket and you will hardly know it's there. It's only $30. These are quickly becoming my favorite lights.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you were willing to spend a little more then you could get yourself an HDS Rotary which fits your criteria perfectly.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly recommend get a light that has the XML. For some reason it is perfect all around when you what a good combination of flood and throw with extreme brightness. The Zebralight SC600 is a great light, but it only runs on a 18650 battery. I like my Jetbeam III M XML since you can program the 2nd level, and the high level very bright. Plus it uses a variety of different batteries CR123, RCR123, and 18650.

capncurt

Newly Enlightened
The Quark 123-2 is a really good light but I greatly prefer the XP-G R5 to the new X series with the XML. The R5 seems to be a truer white vs the warmer XML, the strobe is FAR superior on the R5 and while the beam is wider on the XML the brightness difference seen by the eye is minuscule. Just my 2 cents YMMV.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your in Malkoff md2 with m61 and hi/lo ring price range.

Or an Eagletac t20c2 mkII with the HO XML module, charger and some batteries.

It would be at the max of your budget or a little over but +1 for the Malkoff MD2 w/M61W and hi/lo ring.If your going to spend $100+ that is the route I would go.There are various lights under $100 that may fit your needs but none of them are as good as the Malkoff.