4XAA XML Light?

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Besides Jetbeam PA40 & the up coming Zebralight Q50, are there any other 4XAA Cree XML based lights?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there is also the Sunwayman M40A XML. It is more expensive but it is much higher quality with more output and much more throw.

I get the following:

6,200 lux @ 1 meter for the PA40
31,850 lux @ 1 meter for the M40A XML

I measured at 10 meters and calcualted back to 1 meter.

There is also an M40A MCE which is the older version and has less output and throw. You want the M40A XML version.

Danielsan

Enlightened
those are 2 nice llights, each of them has different purposes. The sunwayman is a large lgiht with a large reflector for throwing, it isnt 100% throw because of the OP but definately more then PA40. The PA40 is a much thinner light, in my mind not comparable. The question will be is the throw needed or not, if not then i would wait for the Q50 becasue its just the most compact of them. The PA40 is a light for outdoor and hard work.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sunwayman is a large lgiht with a large reflector for throwing, it isnt 100% throw because of the OP but definately more then PA40. The PA40 is a much thinner light, in my mind not comparable.

I find the PA40 to be the larger light. It is much longer and really not much thinner. The M40A clearly has a larger bezel but overall it is a smaller light. I'll try to snap a pic of them side by side. When you see them side by side, the M40A is clearly much smaller.

Scubie67

Enlightened
I am going to go out on a limb here and say both the Jetbeam and Sunwayman look too big/performance compared to the Q50 to me.It would have been best if these companies didn't make a battery carrier for these lights to save space and have a compact design.When the Q50 "does eventually" come out I think Zebralight will capitalize royally on this.I mean they have been doing this for years ,for instance my Princetontec 40 backup Dive lights are 4AA are very slimline, they don't have a carrier and have worked great for years for me.Being Incandescent they are dim as heck though.

No purpose for a battery carrier than to waste space and money if you have a good design.ZL is going to teach other brands a hard lesson here,just watch.Hopefully other brands will follow this direction

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I find the PA40 to be the larger light. It is much longer and really not much thinner. The M40A clearly has a larger bezel but overall it is a smaller light. I'll try to snap a pic of them side by side. When you see them side by side, the M40A is clearly much smaller.
I absolutely agree. The PA40 is a much 'bigger' light. I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not. Even though my Sunwayled M40A is the MC-E model, I still really like it. It's a great light and definitely seems smaller.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say both the Jetbeam and Sunwayman look too big/performance compared to the Q50 to me.It would have been best if these companies didn't make a battery carrier for these lights to save space and have a compact design.When the Q50 "does eventually" come out I think Zebralight will capitalize royally on this.I mean they have been doing this for years ,for instance my Princetontec 40 backup Dive lights are 4AA are very slimline, they don't have a carrier and have worked great for years for me.Being Incandescent they are dim as heck though.

No purpose for a battery carrier than to waste space and money if you have a good design.ZL is going to teach other brands a hard lesson here,just watch.Hopefully other brands will follow this direction
I am curious to see how the ZL will compare but it will certainly also fill a different role than the Sunwayman/led. The M40A is a decent thrower whereas the ZL is going to be largely flood from the looks of things.

Scubie67

Enlightened
I absolutely agree. The PA40 is a much 'bigger' light. I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not. Even though my Sunwayled M40A is the MC-E model, I still really like it. It's a great light and definitely seems smaller.

I am curious to see how the ZL will compare but it will certainly also fill a different role than the Sunwayman/led. The M40A is a decent thrower whereas the ZL is going to be largely flood from the looks of things.

Ahh ,but if you read what I said I am going after their use of a battery carrier not about having a better reflector for throw.Any company can design a light that doesn't use a battery carrier and still keep they beam characteristics they want.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Ahh ,but if you read what I said I am going after their use of a battery carrier not about having a better reflector for throw.Any company can design a light that doesn't use a battery carrier and still keep they beam characteristics they want.
I did read what you said hence why I said I am interested how the ZL will compare. It is of course a different design aiming for a different beam, but I am also interested in how using it and dealing with the different battery loading system will compare. As battery holders go the M40A is fantastic but if ZL can really pull off a good design with no holder, it will be interesting. Holders are generally not terribly desirable but better ones like the M40As make them less of an issue IMO.

Scubie67

Enlightened
I did read what you said hence why I said I am interested how the ZL will compare. It is of course a different design aiming for a different beam, but I am also interested in how using it and dealing with the different battery loading system will compare. As battery holders go the M40A is fantastic but if ZL can really pull off a good design with no holder, it will be interesting. Holders are generally not terribly desirable but better ones like the M40As make them less of an issue IMO.

My princeton tecs work fine without a battery holder,handled lots of abuse (Cave Diving) and I personally have had them to depths of around 200 feet .I have had them for about 11 years now ,use of a carrier is not an advantage I think for a well designed light especially with all the carbon fiber products we have to today for rigidity

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
PA40 and M40A:

PA40046.jpg

From selfbuilt's review:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...iber-body)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-amp-more!

Danielsan

Enlightened
The olight S35 is a bit dimm in my mind for a light with this size, i think it was a mistake to choose 3xAA, the S65 is a bit too big. The Sunwayman looks smaller then expected but also remember that the PA40 grip is oval shaped, the picture shows the wide side of the light. So in my mind you will "feel" the sunwayman a lot more in your Jacket pocket then the PA40, just because of the head and round body but it looks lice. I also feel more comfortable with the oval "pistol grip" shaped bodys like the PA40 and TK35 Fenix. The sunwayman is more beautiful for sure

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PA40 has a nice general purpose beam that is very useful spot/flood type perfect for around the the house inside or out, camping, hunting, automotive and so on. If you need a thrower something for use beyond 90 to 100 yards this is not the light your looking for, something with a larger reflector and more focused beam will be needed, I can't comment on how the M40A actually performs because I don't have one but the specs and reviews do look promising. Your current selection for a 4AA XM-L lights is a little limited right now with the Zebra Q50 in the pipes a few weeks out(?)

Wider beam and easier to stick in your pocket get the PA40, if you need more throw or strobe get the M40A :)

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Also remember when talking about the PA40 and the M40A XM-L that these lights aren't really even in the same price range. A PA40 can be had for 67 dollars brand new, while the M40A XM-l is around 135$ out the door.

I would certainly expect a light that is about twice the price to be better. But is it twice as good? Probably not.

The PA40 is certainly more pocketable and easier to carry IMO.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
Can the Jetbeam Pa40 head screw onto the Fenix LD40 & function off the dual tail switch design?

I much prefer Fenix UI to the UI used on the PA40.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
Can the Jetbeam Pa40 head screw onto the Fenix LD40 & function off the dual tail switch design?

I much prefer Fenix UI to the UI used on the PA40.