Fenix LD25, LD20, or LD40?

hwc

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a AA flashlight for eneloops. Why would I buy one of these over the others? It looks like the LD40 would be the throw monster, but perhaps with lousy flood characteristics, so probably not so good indoors. But, I have no idea what the pros and cons of the LD25 verus LD20 are in terms of real world use. Which is floodier?

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
If you want it to tailstand, the LD40 does not fit your needs.

but otherwise, the LD40 is a fantastic light and lasts forever on 4xAA.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
In that same vein, a plus for the LD20 are all the diffuser and camping latern accessories that fit it. On the other hand, the LD40 has a terrific user interface and run-times that aren't available from any of my other lights.

I just can't get a handle on what each of the three lights is good for or not good for. Specs are one thing, but I'm sure there are differences in throw, etc.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all three.

The LD40 has the most throw by far (I would not call it a throw monster though). It is much larger and heavier than the other two and it is not good for indoor use. The hotspot is too intense. It is great for outdoor use to see in the distance a little ways. It is not pocketable.

The LD20 has a very cool white (read purple/blue) emitter. The low mode is too high to be of much use when your eyes are adjusted to the dark. UI is nice. build quality is ok. beam quality is not good. Overall, this light is nothing special and there are much better lights out there in the 2AA catagory.

The LD25 has a neutral emitter which is better for color rendering inside and out and is generally easier on the eyes. The diameter of the light is slightly larger than the LD20. Build quality and beam quality is much higher than the LD20. The thing is built like a tank. Mine has seen serious abuse and still keeps on ticking (I always use this light for projects that I know will abuse a light). I've used it in the rain and snow without issue. It has slightly more throw than the LD20 but much less than the LD40. The low mode is much lower than the LD20 and is better for night adjusted eyes. It has 5 light output levels + strobe and SOS (this is not clear on the Fenix web site). It has more light output than my LD20 too. Beam quality is also better than the LD20. Overall, it is better in every respect than the LD20 with the exception of the UI. The UI is not as nice as the LD20 - some back and forth head twisting is needed on the LD25.

One warning. The LD20 and LD25 lose their low modes when using alkaline batteries until the batteries are drained a bit. If you use Energizer ultiamte cells, you only get high mode in both lights. The lights only work properly with NiMh rechargeable AA cells (I use Sanyo Eneloops)

Last edited:

hwc

Newly Enlightened
I have all three.

The LD40 has the most throw by far (I would not call it a throw monster though). It is much larger and heavier than the other two and it is not good for indoor use. The hotspot is too intense.

Would that still be the case, even on the lower modes? Is it a function of too much light output on high? Or a function of the beam shape and focused hotspot?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would that still be the case, even on the lower modes? Is it a function of too much light output on high? Or a function of the beam shape and focused hotspot?

It is a function of the reflector shape/size (width and depth) and emitter surface brightness (output per square mm) as opposed to total output. Even on the lowest mode you still have a small hotspot as opposed to a large hotspot. It is better on low mode but not ideal. I know everyone can't have a zillion lights but I really like floody lights in the house and throwy lights outside (on occasion I like floody lights outside too).

Last edited:

low

Enlightened
I'm looking for a AA flashlight for eneloops. Why would I buy one of these over the others? It looks like the LD40 would be the throw monster, but perhaps with lousy flood characteristics, so probably not so good indoors. But, I have no idea what the pros and cons of the LD25 verus LD20 are in terms of real world use. Which is floodier?

I have the LD40 and it throws good. I also have the Olight M30 diffuser which fits great after I put some velcro inside the side of the diffuser. (It was loose) Now it has good throw and great flood. I never thought I would like flood as much as I do now. No hotspot. It is awesome. And you get to keep your throw for outside. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:

sspro2340

Newly Enlightened
ld20's throw really well for me.

an ld20 with a diffuser wand makes it really useful when the power goes out.

Makes it easy to read instructions in the dark as well