Preon Revo SS or Arc-AAA for keychain light

gates67

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I only own a few lights.
I started out with a Maglite LED AA. It saved my butt when my car broke down, I was in the darkness on a country backroad. Because of that experience I bought a Quark AA2 to replace it and I love it.With that said I really dont want to carry it on my person all the time.

Im looking for a quality light keychain light just in case.I impulse bought a "browning microblast" on clearance (http://tinyurl.com/3w86myv) and its ok but I need it to be tougher and have keychain loop.

The 2 I have in mind are the Preon Revo or the Arc-AAA.

The problem with the Quark Revo is that it says discontinued on their website.I see GoingGear has the SS version in stock.Is it discontinued forever, or will it come back with different internals or what?

Also ive read lots of good about Arc-AAA and it looks to be what I want.It being cheaper is nice too. Is the SS that much more durable?

All I really want is single AAA, have good enough battery life, and be tough enough to be on a keychain. Itll only be used on occasion.The Revo at 55-60$ is pushing the price limit.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

manoloco

Enlightened
if i were looking for a AAA light with that price limit, i would probably follow DwF suggestion, Peak seems very active and has great distributors, also look for a model with a QTC pill which enables you to choose brightness level just by twisting the head, it simply ramps the light like you would ramp the volume of a radio with a knob, and is very energy efficient while doing so, all that could add up your runtime by a LOT

choombak

Enlightened
Though Arc AAA is tough as nails, it may be dimmer to be an "all purpose" keychain light. As DWF suggested, take a look at Peak Eiger in lug SS body. Level #4, or #5 gives you decent runtime and enough brightness. It also accepts the higher voltage 10440 batteries (3.7v typical) for that added "oomph" factor when you need it. Arc AAA does not support higher power batteries. I routinely carry the Eiger, and it is the only light that shows no signs of wear even after rubbing against everything in the pocket, including coins. The 4th light from left is what you want:
6187657079_a8ac47d326_z.jpg

Last edited:

Tiggercat

Enlightened
Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say keep it simple and get an ARC. It is proven. Not to long ago I had to swap a battery in a complete down pour. Water definitely got inside the light. The little guy didnt care and fired right up!!! until I was able to dry it out the next day

I think many people feel that Peak are durable because they feel very nice in your hand (almost the same feel quality as an ARC). But there is not much of a proven track record and they have been known not to be as water resistant, with lenses scratching or being loose. Although Peak have longer runtimes, my experience is that they loose their brightness quicker. Then comes the part to contact Peak.......Forget it!

Yes there are many newer technology AAA lights these days. But the arc is proven classic that lights up every time and performs well on crummy alkaline batteries

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I have a Quark Revo, Aluminum and it has been a great little light. Have an Energizer Lithium in there and I am still on the same battery, but I barely ever use it to be honest. Always have some other edc light on me that I use instead. But its been about 10 months now on my keychain. Small enough to not even realize its there yet still puts out a nice wall of light when needed. So The Revo's are great too. Mine is black.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I would say a ReVO or a Klarus, they are more useful because they both have low levels and some much brighter levels. You can see a comparison in some of my beamshots (ARC-AAA is close to the Fenix E01 in performance):

For a comparison between Klarus and ReVO see here:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel with 3 modes. It is a nice sturdy little light. I got it for $30 bucks shipped. If you look in the marketplace under dealfinder, you'll see it there.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ- you need to order a Peak Eiger from oveready.com.

I think you can make a nice spot for it in your collection. Very impressive by the way.

Lumenz

Enlightened
The Peak Eiger with QTC would probably be your best choice. I have the HA version because I keep it on my keychain. I don't like the extra weight of SS.

HKJ

Flashaholic
HKJ- you need to order a Peak Eiger from oveready.com.

I think you can make a nice spot for it in your collection. Very impressive by the way.

I already have some Peak's, but maybe I need a few new. I did not know that Oveready sold Peak, thanks for the link (It is probably going to cost me some $).

Bill S.

Newly Enlightened
Klarus Mi X6 in Stainless. Check out Selfbuilt's review, in which he says it's very similar to the Revo.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?319732-Klarus-Mi-X6-%28XP-G-R5-1xAAA-Stainless-Steel%29-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

Outstanding little light, very bright, bulletproof, around $47.

Also, contact Going Gear about stock - they haven't quite sorted it out on their new website yet. I'll bet the Revo is out of stock. They do have plenty of the Klarus Mi X6.

+1.

I got my Mi X6 a couple weeks ago and I like it a lot. It fits well with my keys and has three good levels of brightness plus strobe. Very nice run times for a single AAA. Got mine from Going Gear, too.

choombak

Enlightened
I say keep it simple and get an ARC. It is proven. Not to long ago I had to swap a battery in a complete down pour. Water definitely got inside the light. The little guy didnt care and fired right up!!! until I was able to dry it out the next day

I think many people feel that Peak are durable because they feel very nice in your hand (almost the same feel quality as an ARC). But there is not much of a proven track record and they have been known not to be as water resistant, with lenses scratching or being loose. Although Peak have longer runtimes, my experience is that they loose their brightness quicker. Then comes the part to contact Peak.......Forget it!

Yes there are many newer technology AAA lights these days. But the arc is proven classic that lights up every time and performs well on crummy alkaline batteries

+1. Absolutely love my Arc. And I have "boiled" its head in water for 5 minutes to remove the gunk that the sticky donut left behind. It came out squeaking clean, and works fine. I know the potted head allowed me to boil it, but it also talks a lot about the robustness of this tiny little light. Most find the 9 lumens or so to be dim by current standards, and useless for an all purpose keychain light though (not me, but an Arc is not for everyone!).

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Most find the 9 lumens or so to be dim by current standards, and useless for an all purpose keychain light though.

Last year (pre QTC), there was mini rush to get Peak AAA's configured with 'sub zero' output. With 8 being full power, the idea was to put in such a resister that the light would barely squeak out.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my ReVO SS when it came out and since then it sits on my keychain ;). It is the best keychainlight I ever had. If you ever get the chance to buy a ReVO just go for it.

rayman

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1. Absolutely love my Arc............ Most find the 9 lumens or so to be dim by current standards, and useless for an all purpose keychain light though (not me, but an Arc is not for everyone!).

I think the 9 lumens is underated, Plus there are brighter flashlights but most have poor runtimes especially when using alkalines. I know cpf members are big into rechargeables and exotic batteries. But I like a flashlight that lives in the real world with easily accessible battery, decent runtime, enough brightness to finish task at hand, and a history of durability only matched by few. Friends are still amazed when I put a dead battery in it and it still lights up!