It took me three years, but I finally caved in...

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever since I got into the flashlight game, most lights I've purchased were the inexpensive variety, rarely going past $100 mark. For two years, I deemed them to be good enough. But I couldn't look away from the two models that Surefire offered; E2DL and LX2. The former had one of the most aggressive looking bezels I've ever seen, while the latter had this sleek look and LOTC funtionality that gave it such an appeal. But, at the time, they were a little too pricey for me. My mentality was, "Why would I want to buy these when I can get something brighter for half the cost?" So my interest died.

As time passed, however, my belief in sheer lumens has deteriorated. In fact, I realized that while having more lumens available is great, low and medium outputs from these high-output lights are far more useful in general. The one time I actually needed the raw lumens was when I was lighting up the scene of a motorcycle accident with my Scorpion V2. Otherwise, the high modes were waste of battery.

And, when I really thought about it, I realized that I was reaching for my secondary light, Quark AA Tactical, far more often than my primary light, Lumintop TD-15 and, later on, Scorpion V2. It was far more economical to use it since AA batteries are cheaper and far more readily available than lithium primaries.

With the declining interest of seeking for more lumens, I turned my attention towards something that would provide a usable amount of output with good throw. I searched around for a bit, but smaller lights were increasingly moving towards using larger emitters, thus more flood than throw. I believe that flood is nice, but that's something that can also be achieved with a throwy light with a diffuser, whereas it doesn't work the other way around.

And then I found the L1 Lumamax. Reaching 3,700 lux with only 65 lumens? Most other lights of its class can barely touch that at twice the amount of output. I read up on it and also learned that Surefire had announced the successor to the L1, the LX2, back a few years ago. I don't know what happened to it, but I would have grabbed one if it was available.

So, seeing how CPF has expert members who can modify lights, I decided to see if it would be possible to have a L1 modified to a similar specification as what the LX1 was supposed to be offering, and I did. Member milkyspit did exactly that.

I traded some messages with him and, sure enough, he agreed to do it. I sent him the requested specifications and, after a few trials and errors on my part, nailed down on the modifications. Two days after the payment had been cleared, the Milky L1 Extreme was at my doorstep.

Behold...
DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

It may look like a stock L1, but so many has changed internally.

The emitter has been swapped out for XP-E R2WD. It has a really nice tint to it, to the point I'm actually surprised that the tint bin for it wasn't rated as neutral.

I was told that it should put out 70-80 lumens with a 3V primary. With a 3.7V RCR, however, it would nearly triple the output and crank out ~263 lumens at the emitter, (~211 lumens OTF) allowing it to compete with its larger LX2 cousin. But the best part about using a primary is that it would give the light a 7-12 hours of runtime on high, which is great since 70-80 lumens is what I need most of the time, and that ridiculous runtime means that I don't have to carry many spares.

The emitter is now sitting on a copper heatsink, as oppposed to aluminum. This would let me use it for extended periods of time without having to worry about overheating at all.

I also specifically request that the light have two different modes, with two different outputs in each. The primary mode has the standard high and low, 263 lumens (70-80 lumens with primary CR123A) and 10 lumens, respectively. The secondary mode is set to 10% of the output of primary mode, at 26 lumens and 1 lumen.

Switching to different mode is done by rapidly clicking the switch fifteen times. At any time during the fifteen clicks, if I pause for a second or more, the process will reset. This was done since I rely on momentary activation quite often, and I didn't want it to accidentally switch modes on me.

(Sorry. No picture of high mode using a RCR yet.)

Mode 1 - High (70-80 lumens)
DSC_0191.jpg

Mode 1 - Low (10 lumens)
DSC_0190.jpg

Mode 2 - Medium (26 lumens)
DSC_0189.jpg

Mode 2 - Moonlight (<1 lumen)
DSC_0188.jpg

Even with reduced high output from using a primary cell, this sucker can throw quite far. It can light up a reflective street sign that's 150 meters away from my house, even through a significant amount of light pollution. I can't wait 'til I get the rechargeables and find out how much it will throw in all its glory. If I were to hazard a guess, it would probably run neck-to-neck with a LX2.

Sadly, it has dethroned my Quark AA Tactical as my keychain light. I'm trying to find a new home for the Quark, and it looks like I might be giving it away to a local rookie cop as his backup.

Big thanks to milkyspit for this fantastic mod! This thing will probably outlast my kids.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well, Scott still makes lights? ;)
I miss the days when threads like these would pop up a lot more often. They are always a good read and bring to mind all the possibilities that are out there for lights we don't use much anymore.
Enjoy that nice rot rod!

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice mod.
i love the l1 but up against my stock e1b, i prefer the e1b but this mod could make my mind change. may i ask the price of this mod?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Scott still makes lights? ;)
I miss the days when threads like these would pop up a lot more often. They are always a good read and bring to mind all the possibilities that are out there for lights we don't use much anymore.
Enjoy that nice rot rod!

Yeah, but it took some time to track him down.

Anyways, yeah, I'm enjoying the every moment I'm using, nay, holding the light. I don't know what it is, but the ergonomics of this little sucker is second to none. I fits just right in my hand.

very nice mod.
i love the l1 but up against my stock e1b, i prefer the e1b but this mod could make my mind change. may i ask the price of this mod?

Milky's done E1b modifications before, so you can probably get it modded if you prefer it over L1.

The upgrade did not come cheap. Aside from having to request milky to obtain a brand new, stock L1 to work with since I didn't have one, the modification was so extensive that most of the original internal components have been swapped out--the emitter has been swapped, with a custom narrow-focus TIR to maximize throw, new driver for higher and efficient output, custom firmware for secondary output mode, copper heatsink for best heatsinking.

Everything came out to about $370. But since you already have your own light, it's definitely bound to be less than what I paid. YMMV.