How to make a streamlight polytac completely waterproof?

cheeman150

Newly Enlightened
I know that the streamlight polytac is rated to ipx 7 however i want to make it completely waterproof, how can do this?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the streamlight polytac is rated to ipx 7 however i want to make it completely waterproof, how can do this?

Are you trying to make it a dive light? Otherwise it already is (waterproof). If you tighten down the tailcap you can probably go diving with it to 100 fsw or so (no guarantee) but you won't be able to turn the light off while underwater. It appears to have a forward clicky so at least water pressure will turn (and keep) the light on.

The thickness of the front lens and the o-ring and how it's designed and how well the tailcap switch is glued in are the issues.

Again, what are you trying to do with this light?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will probably be fine. If you can, take the LED module if it's not too hard and remove the batteries and try it out snorkeling. If it leaks no problem it will be easy to dry out. If it doesn't leak put the batteries and LED module back in and you should be fine.

If the tailcap leaks you will just need to use some marine silicone on the rubber cover from the inside and if the front lens leaks it would be due to an o-ring groove not designed for those depths in which case you can just use more silicone.

My guess is that if it's OK at 1 meter for 30 minutes you'll probably be OK at 10 meters. The water pressure is a lot greater at 10 meters (it's an additional atmosphere at that point) but 1 meter is enough to flood if it's not protected at all so you will probably be fine.

Last edited: