Why don't ghost like flashlights?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Halloween season Ghost hunting flashlights

Each year we like to enjoy a bit of "ghosthunting" really more urban exploration but just a bit of fun for the season. This year we went last weekend and plan on going again this weekend.

Last weekend was exploring an old nursing home and its grounds, both very sizeable. Next weekend will be a cemetary.

I provided lights for 4 people, the other 4 brought thier own, and found that most people liked lower power lights for the most uses. I think it helps keep the creepiness of the whole game.

I carried my new Preon with an Inova X03 backup which was never used. The Preon was used on low power 90% of the time and it was just perfect. A few times I upped the ante with a higher power when I wanted to see something farther away.

My wife carried a Streamlight Stylus Pro. She had an Inova X5 backup which she never used. The Stylus pro threw enough light that she coudl see well and gave enough throw that she was not really surprised outside even.

The other two people I set up carried an MJLED modded AA Minimag and AAA Minimag and both had Inova X0 backup. Both used the Inova a few times when they wanted to see farther.

It worked real well and probably will go with the same this weekend. Anyone else go out and play around?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Halloween season Ghost hunting flashlights

Haha sounds like fun, Quarks in moon mode until the first one freaks would be fun too

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I love watching shows like Ghost Adventures

One thing I notice on any type of show like that is how ghost/spirits seem to disappear when the lights are turned on them, lol..

Seen one show the other night, they put a flashlight on the bed and asked the ghost/spirt to turn it on if they were in the room.

The flashlight turned on and then off when they asked the ghost to turn it off.

If I was there I would have removed the batters from the light and asked the ghost to turn it on now, lol...

Then I would have been scarred if it come on. :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Seen one show the other night, they put a flashlight on the bed and asked the ghost/spirt to turn it on if they were in the room.

The flashlight turned on and then off when they asked the ghost to turn it off.

AJ, here's something that I think about in relation to ghost stories...

If a ghost can theoretically pass through walls, doors, etc then it means that they don't have any mass that can collide with other objects. If they did, they would bump into the door and bounce off of it, just like I do sometimes. :)

Thus if they don't 'collide' with anything, they also can't collide with the on/off switch on a flashlight in order to push it. In other words, I think the editors of that TV show are just messing with us.

Imon

Enlightened
AJ, here's something that I think about in relation to ghost stories...

If a ghost can theoretically pass through walls, doors, etc then it means that they don't have any mass that can collide with other objects. If they did, they would bump into the door and bounce off of it, just like I do sometimes. :)

Thus if they don't 'collide' with anything, they also can't collide with the on/off switch on a flashlight in order to push it. In other words, I think the editors of that TV show are just messing with us.

Natural laws do not apply to people who believe in the supernatural. That's why it's called supernatural. :ironic:

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I hear both of you...

Even if some of that stuff that happens on ghost adventures happened right in front of me I would have a hard time believing it.

Just because you can't explain it does not mean you have to believe it, yet I still find the shows and stories interesting.

I like how they have to play back enhanced audio. Even enhanced if they would not put the words up on the screen I never would make out what they are saying they captured on their audio recorders, lol..

And what about their flashlights. I would wear two headlamps, one pointing forward and one pointing behind me, lol...
Along with having a number of long range and flood type flashlights with me. :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Just because you can't explain it does not mean you have to believe it, yet I still find the shows and stories interesting.

Good observation! There are plenty of things in the universe that have yet to be explained, and for me, that doesn't mean that I chalk them up to supernatural events. It just means that we haven't found the explanation yet.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I have been amazed by the cheep lights these and others on TV "ghost hunting" have with them. Incan mini-mags? Ive got news for you its not a spirit that drained those duracells its your poor runtime. If I really thought I was getting locked down in a haunted house I would have $700 in high end flashlights on me!!!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless the ghosts don't "push" the flashlight with an appendage, but instead move it with their mind. It isn't widely publicized, but being a ghost brings with it a whole host of superpowers.

—but you didn't hear that from me. :whistle:

appliancejunk

Enlightened
If I really thought I was getting locked down in a haunted house I would have $700 in high end flashlights on me!!!

Exactly!!

In fact it maybe a good idea to EDC $700 in high end flashlights just in case. ;)

beerwax

Enlightened
Good observation! There are plenty of things in the universe that have yet to be explained, and for me, that doesn't mean that I chalk them up to supernatural events. It just means that we haven't found the explanation yet.

the universe remains to me unexplained. and i still find the shows entertaining. bring back the x-files scalder and mully will sort it out. or was that mulga and scrubby.

the ghosts power up the lights without activating the switch. you will notice that lights that are 'on' will go 'off' . and vice versa. so its simple energy transferance.

when my grandmother was a kid a led torch might have seemed majical . let alone a video call on a cell phone.

Burgess

Flashaholic

For the utmost in "scary-ness" . . . .

Carry a CANDLE !

:candle:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pretty soon were gonna also get some of the fun corn maze posts. With the advent of the XM-L now it should be interesting basically you can light up like half the field with one of those, and you know someone is gonna bring one of those triple XM-L monsters.

Learjet

Enlightened

As long as you don't do what the TV Ghost Hunters do by unscrewing the tailcap to set it on a hair trigger and start talking to it lol.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

As long as you don't do what the TV Ghost Hunters do by unscrewing the tailcap to set it on a hair trigger and start talking to it lol.

LOL...that is pretty funny. It is an interesting subject though, I'm skeptical, but open minded on the subject. If ghosts do exist, I would love to see evidence of it myself...those TV shows have an incentive to fake things, after all, it is a TV show, and if they never have any "results" it would be pretty damned boring. On the other hand, if the evidence they present is actually real, it's quite fascinating.

I may have to see if there are any "ghost hunts" in my area, and see for myself...and I would think a very dim flashlight would be in order for that kind of activity. Maybe a Quark on Moonlight mode would work best.

CheepSteal

Enlightened

Get a few camcorders with nightvision mode and use a cheap solarforce host with IR dropin. Pitch black and only LCD screens to go off of, sounds like a real hoot!
Also whatever you see will be documented to show your friends.

Newly Enlightened

I have used my 4D incan mag for this but found it is a little too bright.
To keep with the creepiness I have been using a 2D Eveready Industrial flashlight.
I think for this season I will buy a Fulton N42 for the task.
I do however keep my trusty M60 6P with me for backup.

JacobJones

Enlightened

Or how about maglite solitaires.... Ok I'm just kidding, you want to actually be able to see the ghosts if there are any. And being able to see where you are walking might be good aswell. I think a hurricane lamp would be good for ghost hunting, bright enough to see where you are going, doesn't blow out easily like a candle, has pretty good runtime and you get that eery warm tinted light (I'd use a cold blast lantern for the extra brightness but if you want even warmer light a hot blast one would be excellent).

Last edited: