Making a c9000 car cord

jeffjeeptj

Newly Enlightened
Like most everybody, I have a bunch of spare power cubes. If I cut off the end that fits into a Maha c-9000 and verify the polarity, is there any reason I shouldn't just plug it into the cig lighter in my cars?
When I look at the "official" Maha car cord, it doesn't look like there is room for much in the way of voltage control. Would the 12V vs. 13.8V vehicle running/charging be important?

I recognize Thomas sells a car cord for $8, but I am frugal, like to fabricate small stuff, and already have all the pieces.
Comments?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would say if there is an $8 car cord it probably doesn't have any electronics in it and relies on the voltage regulation built into the charger to manage the higher voltage. I have used a car charger with cords that had no circuitry other than perhaps a fuse in them with no issues whatsoever even while driving around. I would NOT recommend an unfused car cord especially drawing the current a car charger can.

jeffjeeptj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I have a fused cig lighter adapter with binding posts/bananna jacks. Polarity is easy

Russel

Enlightened
I run my MH-C9000 off my solar power system, which varies from about 12.0 to 14.2 volts. No problems whatsoever after a couple years.