Oveready triple XP-G in surefire M2?

C4stickyplastic

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

Has anyone here used the said module in a Surefire M2 before without any problems? Im gonna run this setup but im not sure if the shock absorbing head, mainly the spongy squidgy absorber will cope with the heat.

Any help is appreciated thanks

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
No personal experience here but my thoughts are, if it can handle the heat of some incans (P61, P91 and I'm sure it's been done) then IMO it should be fine.

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
No personal experience here but my thoughts are, if it can handle the heat of some incans (P61, P91 and I'm sure it's been done) then IMO it should be fine.

The difference is: bulbs do not suffer themselves from high temperatur whereas LEDs do break if heat is not dispensed properly. Also incans "throw" heat out of the front along with the light, LEDs get hot at their base and heat has to travel through the metal.
That's the reason you cannot use high power LEDs in SureFire G2.
If the path between module and outter head surface is blocked by non-metal shock absorbing material I would guess the heat cannot be transfered properly.
Does the head of the M2 get hot fast with an incan module?

Regards, Jonas
Please excuse my language. I'm not a native speaker.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'd say the drop-in will have a reduced lifespan because of heat buildup.
You can find a regular bezel and be ready to go however!!

red_hackle

Enlightened
Well, Oveready offer you the option to add a M2 Bezel Adapter when buying one of their triples... indicates to me they think you shouldn't have an issue! :thinking:

However, from a pure functionality point-of-view the shock bezel doesn't add really anything... apart from extra bulk.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Moddoo Triple XPG Neutral (1 mode) in extended C2 setup with Cryos v1 all this time...

However, I'm just wondering how many people were running their Triples in Surefires with REGULAR Z44 bezel... Does it ever get uncomfortably hot with regular bezel ??? I'm thinking about using Cryos with another dropin if Triple shows to be 100% safe in combination with regular bezel...

dougie

Enlightened
As I understand it (and I may be wrong) the bezel pushes the tapered base of the module into the recess at the top of the M2 body. The sides of the module don't actually touch the inside of the bezel and heat is transferred to the body and back to the bezel through a smallish area. The same thing happens with for example Malkoff units installed in the Surefire 6P bodies. Some people found that they had a small gap between the head and the body of their Surefire lights because of minor machining differences between the bezels and the bodies of their lights caused by the bottom of the Malkoff module to not be able to be forced further into the body even though the module was making good contact with the host body and thus achieving a good thermal path. As I understand it the additional rubber which Oveready sells for the M2 shock absorbing bezels simply adds bulk to the existing rubber and allows the bezel to compress the module more firmly against the recess in the M2 body thus achieving a good thermal path for their dropin. A favourite trick of people adding high output dropin modules to their hosts is to use either silver foil or copper tape to the sides of the module to ensure it is a snug fit between the sides of the module and the bezel to provide a more efficient thermal pathway. Whether this is possible or necessary with the Oveready Tripple in a M2 is a question I can't answer. I guess as the guys at Oveready are pretty helpful it wouldn't hurt to fire off an email to them asking for their advice?

Last edited: