Surefire G2 LED with Malkoff M61 Questions

thaugen

Enlightened
I have a Surefire G2 LED with an aluminum bezel marked KX4-BKHA. I thought I could run a Malkoff M61 module in this light, but it seems the KX4-BKHA has an LED module that cannot be removed.

Is there anyway to run my Malkoff M61 in this G2?

Do I need to purchase another aluminum bezel?

I was looking at the Z44.

Would the Z44 work with the Malkoff M61 module?

Thanks for your help!

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Short answer: Sell the KX4, buy a Z44, presto!

(use the Marketplace for good deals on the bezel, shouldn't cost you more than $25)

Note: Use of the M61 might have a gap in between the bezel and body, usually it's bigger than usual on the G series, not sure why. Just a heads up!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind clone parts, then Solarforce L2P has rather nice black anodization that can be used with G2 (satin black instead of gloss black)... Solarforce are 1-2 mm longer inside so the gap might not even be there (and with G2 is easy to avoid gap, just tighten the head by force all the way down if you have a gap - make sure you don't have a tailcap installed while doing this... the metal tube inside G2 will shift backwards 1-2mm that will not be visible as tailcap will be in contact with it all the time)...

You can order glossy bezel from Solarforce but I found investing $19 for whole host (L2P) and then using the rest of the parts for other projects better... Surefire Z44 bezel is about $25 (plastic bezel ring) and Solarforce L2 with stainless steel flat ring is $10 (both Type II glossy ano)... quality is NOT much worse than Surefire - they will both lose ano on edges with time if used in pockets)...

You can still mod KX4 to accomodate Malkoff but it's not practical as you're ruining one perfectly cool light engine and requires few mods/parts swap that elevate costs over no gains in anything...

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Listen to cheepsteal!
But also listen to the hundreds of members that can attest to the fact that the body needs to be aluminum to heatsink properly. The traditional incan bezel is step one BUT step two is using an M61L with that nitrolon body.

Sure the M61 will work but know it will have a reduced service life because of heat.

thaugen

Enlightened
Thank you everyone for the advice.

I decided to keep the Surefire as is so I don't loose a perfectly good KX4 light engine. I think the G2 LED will live in my car.

For the Malkoff M61 I ordered an MD2 so I can have a rock solid light to host my M61. I have an MD2 with a M61W and hi/low ring that I like. It will be nice to have another MD2 with a little cooler led as a backup.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice, thaugen...

Just to complicate the matter a little bit more, you might want to use the situation that LAPG has discounted C2 hosts... they make an outstanding host for M61's... single mode but tough as coffin' nail...

thaugen

Enlightened
I saw the C2 host at LAPG, but I want to be able to use an 18650 without boring and I wanted a McClicky style switch that tail stands. But the C2 was very tempting...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thank you everyone for the advice. I decided to keep the Surefire as is so I don't loose a perfectly good KX4 light engine. I think the G2 LED will live in my car.
Definitely a good solution. I have a beater SF 6Z for a car-console flashlight, but even though I'm addicted to high-quality LED dropins, I'd hate to have that stolen while it had a high-$$ unit in it, so it's my only light that contains an inexpensive LED droppin.