7C Mag - mod options?

vaizki

Newly Enlightened
I have a 7C maglite that's been around for years, originally bought by my father but it's all-original (except being a bit beat up by now) so now that I am on a roll here with LEDs etc, why not pimp the Mag too.. :devil:

Googling and searching CPF led me to a Malkoff drop-in for up to 6C Mags (I could use a dummy cell). Also found this R.O.P incandescent stuff. These would retain the zooming function. Then there's a ton of threads about modding dropins etc. Lots of VERY old threads and I couldn't really find anything very current.

I'm looking for an easy mod but not scared of a bit of work on parts (I own and can wield a soldering iron and a dremel) as long as I can convert back to a fully original Mag later if I want. Apparently the 7C is not available on every corner...

What are the obvious choices for a semi-mod? I'm especially interested in very tight spot if available (newbie thread readers may have seen my boating light dilemma)..

There must be massive potential in this baby :D

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for an easy mod but not scared of a bit of work on parts (I own and can wield a soldering iron and a dremel) as long as I can convert back to a fully original Mag later if I want.
6 NiMH "C" cells and ROP HO 3854 is your choice.
You can also go with 7 NiMH "C" size with 3853 HO bulb for longer run time.
For either set up you will need aluminum reflector and hi temp lens.
There are many more different set ups if you want to spend more money and time.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider the Mag 7C a collectors item. Maybe you could sell it and with the proceeds
buy yourself a brand new modern flashlight.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
If you *did* proceed with mod'ing this light with an ROP bulb (like tx101, I'm not sure whether I would risk a relatively rare light, even if the mod were intended to be reversible), you might want to consider download's MagC bulb tower heat sink to help with heat management.

vaizki

Newly Enlightened
It's not about the money, the light has sentimental value and I'd like to use it as well. The ROP mod sounds like fun but maybe overkill.. Also the runtime will probably be pretty bad?

For drop-in LEDs, is the Malkoff and a new cut down reflector my best bet?

moderator007

Enlightened
You might try this with 7 Nimh C cells. Your voltage should be 8.4v. You will have to do some filing on the DX reflector to get it to fit.
Ease enough to do and has been done many times. The switch tower will have to be cut down for the reflector and pill to fit. Might want to buy a new switch for the mag if you don't want to hack yours.
You will have to solder two wires from pill to the switch.
This is all the modifications you should have to do.
This way the mag could be converted back to original very easily.
I didn't even think of this yesterday when i saw your thread.
Here's a beamshot.

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
The 7C-Mag was discontinued the same year it came out in 1979. The importance of that, beyond monetary, is it has a larger battery tube I.D. of ≈28mm. The Malkoff 3-6C drop-in is designed for the newer 26.2mm I.D. battery tube. The serial number of the newer lights begins with the letter 'C'. You can make an adapter from copper tubing. I don't know about Finland but in the U.S. there are 3 different thicknesses available. A piece with a wall thickness of ≈1.0mm split down the side should do the trick. Malkoff also sells precut reflectors when you order the 3-6C drop-in. And as you say, 7*NiMH C cells fresh off the charger is too much voltage. It's easy to make a dummy cell from a 6cm long brass bolt, 2 washers and 3 nuts.