Maglite Solitaire Cree?

EmittingDiode

Newly Enlightened
Whats up everyone, my name is EmittingDiode and im pretty new here. I don't know a ton about the flashlight world but I do know I love them. My question is, Has anyone thought about putting a cree in a maglite solitaire?

ahorton

Enlightened
Thought, tried, struggled, failed and put back on the shelf.

:welcome:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
* too much hassle,
* pretty not possible,
* Led + driver alone cost more than an easy, cheap comparable light (Fenix E01 f.e.) or almost as much as better, stronger ones

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting for MagLite to decide it's a good idea (supposedly in the works for next year)!

JacobJones

Enlightened
Several years ago modding maglite solitaires was popular, but most mods used unconventional batteries and direct driving pathetic little 5mm LEDs for a couple of minutes runtime. I think one person did manage to make something half decent with a luxeon but it had crap runtime. In recent years torches like the ITP A3 and Fenix E01 have appeared, now people don't bother with solitaires as they can get something brighter, cheaper and better quality ready to go out of the box. But the technology is available to make a good solitaire, if you cut open one of those led drop ins for mag 2D's you'll find a boost circuit that will fit inside the maglite solitaire, the circuit seems pretty good, I've only tested it with an old luxeon but the output from a single AAA around 10 lumens, with a real LED such as a Cree XP-E it could be 20+. This mod is on the waiting list but not a priority so I might get round to it one day.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Click my sig line, I had some done with xpg, xpe etc.
How I started on CPF

moderator007

Enlightened
You could try a ITP A3 EOS. They are a AAA flashlight that is durable,small and bright. You can run a li-ion 10440 but you have to make sure it doesn't get hot. With 10440 it is very bright for a small package but does have a short run time if on high. Works with alkalines or Nimh very well and bright for a AAA light.