Olight on Airplane

Golem

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Olight Hunter Christmas Set for my brother and have a question regarding travel.
I am traveling from LAX to Hawaii and I want to bring the set as a carry-on. Do you know if I will have any trouble with airport security? I would be extremely disappointed if they tried to take it from me.
I am not checking any bags, so that's not even an option.

here is a link to the set for those who are unfamiliar:
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=86_455&products_id=2808

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a situation where you basically have to fly, such as to Hawaii, I recommend carrying nothing on the plane that you don't want to have confiscated.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to their confiscations. They will take anything they want, and you basically have no recourse.
I would ship/mail anything you don't want to have stolen by the TSA, via UPS or Mail to your destination, so it will arrive when you are there.
I have stopped flying altogether because of this TSA stuff.

Last edited:

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I always fly with a flashlight, but I am a uniformed crew member and flashlights are part of our flight kits. To be honest, the TSA does not confiscate anything...if they question an item and then advise you that you cannot take it on the plane, they give you the option of getting out of line and going back out to the non-secure area. At that point you could mail the flashlight back home. Most stuff that the TSA ends up with is considered to be "voluntarily-surrendered". The only exception to any of this is if they see a gun in your bag....Then you are handcuffed right there and then. A friend of mine found this out the hard way.

Basically I see two issues you have to address....

1.... The cranulations on the flashlight. Correct me if I am wrong, but are cranulations not used as a means of stabbing....Thus it could be classified as a weapon. But cranulations are removable and replaceable. I would suggest you consider that option.

2.... the Lithium batteries... Those MUST be carried on and secured in a manner that the batteries will not arc or short on anything in your bag. A good battery carrier, the original box, or just some scotch tape wrapped around the ends will accomplish this.

There is a wealth of information at the TSA's website. Including a list of approved and not approved items. But there is also a statement on that same page that allows any TSA officer to deny access for any item they deem dangerous, whether it is on that approved list or not. ATTITUDE COUNTS.. be courteous and if you disagree with a TSA officer, politely ask to speak with a supervisor. However in the end if you are denied access because of any item you have in your possession, be prepared to mail it home. I suggest you have a bubble style envelope ready in your bags. Arrive at the airport early enough to get through security and allow for any hiccups.

egrep

Enlightened
I flew cross country with one stop this week with the following in my carry on bag;

Jetbeam BC40
Quark Turbo-X and RGB
SWM V10R AE & Ti
LiteFlux 2XT
Wicked Lasers 1W Spyder III

6x 18650, 6x 16350, 6x10440, 12x CR123
8 tritium pendants, 6.5" trit marker, 7 trits on above lights.

Lots of other junk too. I was nicely asked if I 'need' all this stuff. I nicely responded I did not 'need' it but it makes me happy. Nothing whatsoever was said about the ounce of marijuana however, though it (and a copy of my patient card) was in plain view on the table with all my junk from my bag. You got to love CA airports. :)

DaveTen

Banned
I take my pocket light to board, one time I leave my Victorinox but light still with me!

longboat

Newly Enlightened
Three years ago I bought my wife a Pak-Lite that uses a 9v battery. She travels by air a lot (typically 1x/mo., sometimes 2x/mo). When I gave her the 9v light, she immediately put it in her purse and has been going through airport security with it ever since, up until a month ago. TSA finally decided to look at the light, decided they didn't like it and pulled her aside and read her the riot act. She had a very difficult time getting them to understand that it was just a flashlight, but ultimately it was the 9v battery they had a problem with. They confiscated the battery, but let her keep the Pak-Lite itself along with a stern warning. She was then obviously red-flagged because she was pulled aside and thoroughly searched for her next three flights. With the last flight, she was finally able to go through the "express security". Funny thing is, she is on a first-name basis with several of the TSA folks who had to search her, since she has seen them at least 1x/month for the last 5-6 years.

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened
As I'm not a US-citizen I don't know the TSA.
But the things I read about them in this thread just sounds silly.
How can an organization be that overcautious and distrustful?

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened
That was not my intention. I just don't know them and was curious.
Then let's get back to topic.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always fly with a flashlight, but I am a uniformed crew member and flashlights are part of our flight kits. To be honest, the TSA does not confiscate anything...if they question an item and then advise you that you cannot take it on the plane, they give you the option of getting out of line and going back out to the non-secure area. At that point you could mail the flashlight back home. Most stuff that the TSA ends up with is considered to be "voluntarily-surrendered". The only exception to any of this is if they see a gun in your bag....Then you are handcuffed right there and then. A friend of mine found this out the hard way.

Basically I see two issues you have to address....

1.... The cranulations on the flashlight. Correct me if I am wrong, but are cranulations not used as a means of stabbing....Thus it could be classified as a weapon. But cranulations are removable and replaceable. I would suggest you consider that option.

2.... the Lithium batteries... Those MUST be carried on and secured in a manner that the batteries will not arc or short on anything in your bag. A good battery carrier, the original box, or just some scotch tape wrapped around the ends will accomplish this.

There is a wealth of information at the TSA's website. Including a list of approved and not approved items. But there is also a statement on that same page that allows any TSA officer to deny access for any item they deem dangerous, whether it is on that approved list or not. ATTITUDE COUNTS.. be courteous and if you disagree with a TSA officer, politely ask to speak with a supervisor. However in the end if you are denied access because of any item you have in your possession, be prepared to mail it home. I suggest you have a bubble style envelope ready in your bags. Arrive at the airport early enough to get through security and allow for any hiccups.

I'm not going to touch the whole "voluntarily surrendered" issue...but what are cranulations? If you are speaking of a crenelated bezel then no, they are not used as a means for stabbing. Do you....even understand the definition of the word stab??? Bezel crenelations were devised as a means to improve upon the potential of a flashlight to be used as an improvised impact weapon by providing a smaller contact surface which results in more energy being transfered to the target. They were intended to be used instead of the tail end of the light or to prevent breaking the window or lens of the light. Can they be considered a weapon? I suppose so...but no less that a sturdy ball point pen. Those I have actually seen used as an effective stabbing weapon.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crenulations on the bezel (lit end) are sometimes "pointy" to the point (no pun intended) of being a weapon.

In the past week I've flow with;
6P with triple
18650 light with lit end
G2
L1
and another light in another bag.
2 lasers (one nice one)
Lots of batteries (in cases)

What really gets their attention though is
(1) my thickness guages that appear to be a solid chunk of metal - so I put that in the quart bag.
(2) small pliers (less than 6") - so they measure them to ensure they are less than 6" and everyone is happy.

The only slightly amusing part is today I found my second set of thickness guages (smaller than the other set) and it was hiding away on my suitcase which I typically carry on. It is now also in my quart bag.

You occasionally find a TSA person who likes flashlights.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
@ lightfooted..

My spelling aside....Perhaps I could have chosen my words better. I am not a doctor, or into law enforcement, so the subtleties of "stabbing" vs some other term did elude me. However, your whole paragraph made my argument for me. The Crenelations are meant to be used as a weapon. Now the real question, will the TSA agent recognize that....who knows. Most probably wont, but then there is that one time you meet the officer who is into this stuff. Do you care to risk losing a good flashlight?

@nfetterly..

Absolutely ... I have had several conversation with TSA agents who are into flashlights. When we all have the time, we chat and allow each other to look at one another latest flashlight acquisition. My TK50 caused a real stir. But interestingly enough, I get lots of inquiries about my simple streamlight sidewinder.

Warp

Enlightened
I have flown many times with my Olight M20 Warrior. Never a problem.

The crenelations are so that you can tell the light is on if you set it lens-down on a flat surface, like a table, that way you don't accidentally leave it on and run the battery down.