Fenix PD31 foward clicky fix

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
Let me start off by saying I love my PD31 very much, but haven't been using it all that much because of the reverse clicky. So the other day Fenix Outfitters posted on Facebook about a E21 "damaged box" sale $22.95.The E21 has a forward clicky, I said what the hay if I can't make it work, you can never have enough flashlights. At first I just tried swapping switches, the boot on the PD31 was too short so it held the momentary on....Put them back to normal, did some other things around the workshop. Then I said to myself hey, swap the boots too. Well what do you know, it worked, only downfall is that the PD31 is no longer a tail stander and the E21 has now become one. In my eyes this is a fine sacrifice.
So for anyone wanting to make your PD31 a forward clicky this is one way around it. They said they had 20 of them, well now at least 19.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Let me start off by saying I love my PD31 very much, but haven't been using it all that much because of the reverse clicky. So the other day Fenix Outfitters posted on Facebook about a E21 "damaged box" sale $22.95.The E21 has a forward clicky, I said what the hay if I can't make it work, you can never have enough flashlights. At first I just tried swapping switches, the boot on the PD31 was too short so it held the momentary on....Put them back to normal, did some other things around the workshop. Then I said to myself hey, swap the boots too. Well what do you know, it worked, only downfall is that the PD31 is no longer a tail stander and the E21 has now become one. In my eyes this is a fine sacrifice.
So for anyone wanting to make your PD31 a forward clicky this is one way around it. They said they had 20 of them, well now at least 19.

Woohoo, just got me a PD31 and I hate the reverse clicky. I am gonna try and order up one of these E21's........

Many thanks for posting!

Count me in the "reverse clicky hater club", LOL

EDIT: ordered the damaged box special! Thanks again for the heads-up!

OH btw - one more tidbit of info, since we're in the "reverse clicky hater club". I have a Fenix PD30 and a Quark 'tactical' switch fits right onto the PD30 and transforms it into a wonderful light.

-

Last edited:

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
Woohoo, just got me a PD31 and I hate the reverse clicky. I am gonna try and order up one of these E21's........

Many thanks for posting!

Count me in the "reverse clicky hater club", LOL

EDIT: ordered the damaged box special! Thanks again for the heads-up!

OH btw - one more tidbit of info, since we're in the "reverse clicky hater club". I have a Fenix PD30 and a Quark 'tactical' switch fits right onto the PD30 and transforms it into a wonderful light.

-
Your welcome. I don't totally hate them, just on my EDC lights. So I take it you tried the Quark switch on the PD31?

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Your welcome. I don't totally hate them, just on my EDC lights. So I take it you tried the Quark switch on the PD31?

Yeah, the PD31 is fatter than the PD30.

One other thing - I weighed both lights - PD31 @ 106g versus PD 30 @ 75g (both weights included batteries). I was kinda surprised that the PD31 weighed almost 50% more than the PD30............

Thanks again

-

Last edited:

AutoTech

Enlightened
Wouldn't mind converting mine to forward clicky, but surely a switch is available on it's own somewhere that'll fit? And it'd prob be a lot cheaper too.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Wouldn't mind converting mine to forward clicky, but surely a switch is available on it's own somewhere that'll fit? And it'd prob be a lot cheaper too.

Yeah, but the deal that 'gearhead1972' posted probably makes the most sense. I mean, you're getting a terrific discount on the E21. Plus, I used the CPF 'code' to get another 8% off. So the whole E21 costs just a few bucks more than the switch (if you can find one) AND you've got a fully functioning E21 light as well. Overall, a very nice deal.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
I guess so, plus it's another excuse for a new light :D
lol that why I jumped on it..dam I didn't even think of entering the cpf code :oops:

I have looked for a forward clicky made for it, don't think there is one that works and stays low profile like the original.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were you guys, I'd rather go for PD32. I hate lights with forward-clickies that also has UI where the same clicky is used for switching modes. IT JUST MAKES NO SENSE LOGICALLY OR PRACTICALLY. I gave away my Xeno G42 because of that.

With PD32, it won't be mode-hopping since its got a side-switch for switch modes.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
If I were you guys, I'd rather go for PD32. I hate lights with forward-clickies that also has UI where the same clicky is used for switching modes. IT JUST MAKES NO SENSE LOGICALLY OR PRACTICALLY. I gave away my Xeno G42 because of that.

With PD32, it won't be mode-hopping since its got a side-switch for switch modes.

Gotta admit, the PD32 looks interesting. I wish they had driven the R5 emitter a little harder for another 100 lumens or so......

Thanks

-

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened

I for one actually love the UI of the PD31, I leave it in turbo mode most of the time. When I take it out of turbo it is usually to read something or look into a very tiny part of an engine or something like that, where the hot spot washes out what I am looking at. So the low coming on first is perfect for me, if I need more it is just a click away.