Runtime of Preon 1& 2 on low

Harry999

Enlightened
I did a search on this but could not find anything. The Preon 1 is 1xAAA & the Preon 2 is 2xAAA. Both are detailed as having 23 hours of runtime on low. Is that correct? I would expect the 2xAAA format to have much greater runtime. I know the Preon 2 had slightly more OTF lumens but surely that would not be enough to make the runtime equal?

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

americanpiegamer188

Newly Enlightened
Preon 2
Low: 2.2 OTF Lumens, 23 hours
Medium: 22 OTF Lumens, 6 hours
High: 160 OTF Lumens, 0.8 hours

Preon 1
Low: 1.8 OTF Lumens, 23 hours
Medium: 8.5 OTF Lumens, 6 hours
High: 70 OTF Lumens, 0.8 hours

4sevens.com specs are correct.

Harry999

Enlightened
Thanks - I guess that if I want to use the low for helping me focus on technical reading then I might as well use the Preon 1 format to get double the runtime out of two AAA batteries.

I can keep another in Preon 2 format for that great high.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

Mike abcd

Enlightened
Preon 2
Low: 2.2 OTF Lumens, 23 hours
Medium: 22 OTF Lumens, 6 hours
High: 160 OTF Lumens, 0.8 hours

Preon 1
Low: 1.8 OTF Lumens, 23 hours
Medium: 8.5 OTF Lumens, 6 hours
High: 70 OTF Lumens, 0.8 hours

4sevens.com specs are correct.

When recently I got my Preon 1, a quick check of lumens and battery current showed results far from those specs on medium and low so I went looking on the forum.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...(1xAAA-amp-2xAAA)-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!
In Jan 2010, Selfbuilt measured two different Preon 1s and got run times of 2:12 and 2:17. He estimated the output at ~20 lumens.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?287386-Epic-AAA-Run-time-test-(low-level-only!
In Aug 2010, Beacon of Light measured the Preon 1 run time on low at < 11 hours. It looks like it was checked at 8 hours and out at 11 hours. Another poster reported 11 hours on an Alkaline.

I measured medium at 22 lumens. Low is approx 3.6 lumens and I got less than 9.5 hours run time to off on an Eneloop. It looks like the light takes about 15 minutes from when it drops out of regulation on low to when it goes out with output down to a few tenths of a lumen before it dies.

I won't quibble with the high rating of 70 lumens OTF as I measured 70 lumes initially on a fully charged Eneloop and 78 lumens for a few seconds on an Eneloop hot off the BC-900 fast charge. That said, I suspect the ANSI 3 minute rating would be 60 or less and it spends most of its' unregulated run time in the 45-55 lumen range. (I found a web site still selling the Preon 1 S2 where it was listed at 60 ANSI lumens and the R5 version should be ~7% less.)

Given these huge errors in the Preon 1 specs, I'm not sure I'd buy another 4sevens light without checking here first. That said, I like the Preon 1 although if my ITP EOS A3 didn't have severe contact issues making it unreliable, I wouldn't have replaced it with the Preon 1. I got tired of cleaning it constantly and no amount of cleaning got the output back as high as when I got it even though it was never run on high constantly for more than a couple of minutes. My AAA EDC gets a LOT of use, many times more than anything else I own.

Last edited:

kreisler

Banned
Given these huge errors in the Preon 1 specs, I'm not sure I'd buy another 4sevens light without checking here first.
maybe the best place to check for runtimes is
CPFMP: 4Sevens Flashlight Run Time Testimonials - real world testing!

a few days ago i published my Quark X AA (not AA²) runtimes with 1x 14500 flamed Trustfires. I am the first in the universe (i.e. planet Earth) to have measured it with several test runs to re-validate my own results and to have published them on the inet in detail with comments. i've tested Max, High, and Med. i am going to test Low, but i wont test Moonlight lmao.