My First Mod - The Green Monster!

seven11

Newly Enlightened
Update: The hunting light company isn't interested, so I will divulge the build in full.

Host: 2d mag
LED: Green SST90 from Mouser
Heatsink: Modified SST90 heatsink from Britelumens
Driver: H6CC from Taskled, programmed for 6.3 amps to the led
Batteries: 2x32600 batteries, 3.0 volts and 4000mAh each

I also did a runtime test last night to get an idea for how long the batteries would last. At the 7 minute mark they were still doing great, but the light had heated up so much you couldn't hold it except from the very end. I turned it off to avoid damaging the driver (which must be heatsinked) or the led. This was a super fun build. I only get 5.5 amps at the tailcap so I am ordering some 26650's to boost the voltage to the driver to get more amps to the led. The H6cc isn't guaranteed to provide the fulll 6.3 amps unless the voltage is above 8 volts.

I started my addiction with a tiablo a9 and told myself I could control it. Well, I couldn't so I made my own light. I wanted something unique that I hadn't seen anyone else do before and I think I succeeded. I nicknamed the light the Green Monster. It puts out somewhere between 800 and 1000 lumens of pure green light from an SST90. The rest of the build details I have to keep to myself at the moment since I'm in negotiation with a company that sells hunting lights, but the photos are worth a thousand words. The green light doesn't scare the animals like a white light will, so that's the reason for going with a color LED. I built one with a red SST90 as well, but the beamshots didn't turn out too good so I'll need to post those later. I learned a lot with this first build and as a result have a ton of new ideas that I'll be working on in the future.

Control Shot
flashlightbeamshots020.jpg

By davicas at 2011-11-19

XLR 250 with Cree XRE
flashlightbeamshots017.jpg

By davicas at 2011-11-19

Green Monster
flashlightbeamshots018.jpg

By davicas at 2011-11-19

From the left: XLR250, Red Monster, Green Monster, Tiablo A9 with aspheric head
xlr250prototyperedproto.jpg

By davicas at 2011-11-19

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I built one with a red SST90 as well, but the beamshots didn't turn out too good

Digital cameras have trouble with red, especially red light. Its a form of clipping, like turning an audio source so loud it gets clipped. Try under exposing the image, then bringing it back up in the computer.

seven11

Newly Enlightened
Thanks ElectronGuru, I'll do that on my next beamshot photo. I wondered why it wasn't showing the red very well, now I know.

seven11

Newly Enlightened
I like your mod Willie! Do you have a light meter to measure lux? I hooked an aspheric up to my build, but didn't like the way it looked with the SST90. My next build is to overdrive an XRE with an aspheric to see what I can get in terms of throw.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
No meter, use a XML and XRE throwers as a baseline. Some thoughts... If you are getting your lenses from china quality can vary wildly! Another item could be the dome on the SST90. PTs have no dome. PTs have an added benefit, the emitter being rectangle with the use of aspherics allow for a wide horitontal spread as in better use of available lumen. Better for picking up eyes instead of sky. I lean toward red now but found the green PT120 for $39. AFAIK it is the highest lumen, most powerful SINGLE die emitter made. Keep up the good work Seven11!

Last edited: