4sevens Quark 123-2 Neutral White XP-G R4 Review

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone! Here's my review of a Quark 123-2 XP-G R4 neutral white light. This light is from the most recent run of NW lights. This light was sent to me by 4sevens for review purposes.

Here are the specifications for this light (taken from the 4sevens website)-

Specifications:

Powered by: 2 CR123A batteries (included)
LED Emitter: Premium Cree XP-G Neutral-White
Voltage Range: 3.0V ~ 9.0V
Dimensions

Length: 4.5 inches
Diameter: 0.86 inches
Weight: 1.8 ounces

5 Current Regulated Output Levels
3 Flash modes: Strobe, SOS, Beacon
Square threads for lifetime smooth operation
Type 111 Hard Anodized finish
Fully knurled
Reversible/Removable Clip
Flexible & secure hand grip accessory
IPX-8 Waterproofing
Impact-resistant glass lens with Dual-coating - sapphire coating on the outside and anti-reflective coating on the inside for optimal efficiency and durability.
T-6061 Aircraft-grade Aluminum Body
Stands on Tail (candle mode)

Typical Output Levels and Runtimes + (LED drive current)

Moonlight: 0.2 lumens for 30 days, (1ma)
Low: 3 lumens for 5 days (10ma)
Medium: 18 lumens for 20 hours (50ma)
High: 80 lumens for 4.5 hours (250ma)
Max: 220 lumens for 1.5 hours (990ma)
Strobe: 220 lumens for 9 hours
Beacon: 0-220 lumens pulse for 23 hours

Operation

Operating your Quark 123-2 is simple, Make sure its batteries are inserted with the positive side (+) toward the head. Ensure the bezel (the 'head' of the light) and tailcap are tightened, then depress the tailcap button fully so that it 'clicks' and the light turns on.
The tow most commonly used modes are Max and Moonlight, the highest and lowest modes. To access Max, you simply tighten the bezel. To access Moonlight, you just loosen the bezel a half-turn. That's it.

You can also cycle through the Quark's other modes just as easily. Lightly depress the button momentarily (you don't need to 'click' it off) and the output will switch to the next mode. The mode sequence is determined by whether the bezel is tightened or loosened:
Loosened Bezel: Moonlight -> Low -> Medium -> High -> SOS -> Beacon
Tightened Bezel: Max -> Strobe
Once the Quark has been turned off for at least three seconds, it will revert to the first level of output in the sequence, either Moonlight or Max.

Warranty

4Sevens warrants its products to be free from defects in materials and workmanship. We will repair or replace, at our option, without charge, any product or part which is found to be defective under normal use and service within 120 months from the date of purchase. Such repair or replacement shall be the purchaser's sole and exclusive remedy under this warranty. This warranty does not cover normal maintenance and service and does not apply to any products or parts which have been subject to modification, misuse, abuse, negligence, accident, or improper maintenance or repair by anyone other than 4Sevens.

Here are some images of this light. Most of you are aware of what this light looks like, but for those of you who are not, here you go:

DSC02071.jpg

Green Packaging:
DSC02075.jpg

Left to right- Quark 123-2, Quark 123 and CR123A battery:
DSC02079.jpg

This image was taken to show the difference in phosphor color of emitters with different tints. There's very little difference in phosphor color from the cool white version to the neutral white version. From left to right- Cool white, neutral white, warm white:
DSC02085.jpg

Now for my out the front (OTF) lumen results for this light. For those of you who aren't aware, I have my own calibrated homemade integrating sphere (I have two, actually) for measuring lumen output of different lights. My sphere's have been calibrated using lights that were measured in a professional lab sphere, so my lumen results are very accurate. However, due to common variables such as temperature differences, battery charge state differences, and even differences within the components used within each and every light, you should only use my results as an example of what one sample outputs in OTF lumens. If you purchase one of these lights I'm sure the output would be similar, provided all variables are similar, but your light may not produce exactly the same output as this sample. The output could be less, the output could be more, it just depends.

Here's my OTF lumen runtime graph:

Quark123-2XP-GR4NWOTFLumenChart.png

And now it's time for some comparison beam shots. The small images below can be clicked to view full size and to open multiple images to compare side by side.

Please note that white balance was set to Daylight for all images below and was not changed from image to image:

Quark Limited Run Warm XP-G:

Quark XP-E NW Limited Run, Tint = 5A or 5B:

Quark XP-G NW Custom, Tint = 3A or 3C (I swapped emitter in this light, so it's a custom):

Quark XP-G NW (this is the most recent NW run and tint binning is not specified by 4sevens):

Now for full sized .gif's comparing the different tints to the Quark XP-G NW light:

Quark Neutral White XP-G vs Quark Warm White XP-G:
XP-G-NW-R4-vs-XP-G-Warm.gif

Quark Neutral White XP-G vs Quark Neutral White XP-E 5A or 5B tint:
XP-G-NW-R4-vs-XP-E-NW-5A-5B.gif

Quark Neutral White XP-G vs Custom Quark 3A or 3C NW XP-G (the emitter was swapped from cool white to neutral white in this light so I consider it a custom):
XP-G-NW-R4-vs-XP-G-Custom-3A-or-3C.gif

Quark Neutral White XP-G vs Quark Cool White XP-G S2 Version (tint binning unkown):
XP-G-NW-R4-vs-XP-G-S2-Cool-White.gif

So I've presented the data for you, now it's up to you to make up your mind :thumbsup:.

I hope you've enjoyed my review, and hopefully it was helpful.

kreisler

Banned
i will try to confirm your measurements, thanks!

and i will add further info once i have it (e.g. detailed measurements of diameters, wall thickness, ..)