Comparison info requested - Jetbeam RRT-3 Triple XM (Apples) & Olight SR51 (Oranges)

RCLumens

Enlightened
Comparison info requested - Jetbeam RRT-3 Triple XM (Apples) & Olight SR51 (Oranges)

Greetings all - This question is perhaps aimed at those who have both kinds of lights as we are comparing apples to oranges... The question itself is about which light winds up on the shelf, or being used the most...

Single XML's can be smaller, or larger and throw further, but the triple xml's have such a nice contrast between spill & throw comparatively, but are usually larger. Outside the TM of course, but then you sacrifice throw, and heat driving down output... Is the Jetbeam RRT 3 the perfect balance? Size not much bigger than the SR51, weight not much more, spill beam substantially greater, but doesn't throw as far... If anyone has experience with both these lights, I'd be curious to know which one winds up being used more, and which one is being used less...

Perhaps we'll have to wait to see if Sunwayman will come out with the V60C triple XML that will provide solid run time, beam spill & throw all without succumbing to heat?? All within a reasonable price perhaps?

Thus far no one has stepped up to send selfbuilt the light for proper test, and am interested in hearing any thoughts on the subject.

Many thanks!

Last edited:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Re: Comparison info requested - Jetbeam RRT-3 Triple XM (Apples) & Olight SR51 (Orang

I don't have the Jetbeam RRT3 but I do have the Olight SR51. And it throws very well. Here's a shot behind my house. Those trees below the pool in the far background are over 200yds.

DSCF1384Small.jpg

calflash

Enlightened
Re: Comparison info requested - Jetbeam RRT-3 Triple XM (Apples) & Olight SR51 (Orang

I had the sst-50 rrt-3 and I have the SR51. The sr51 takes the prize size wise for me. The rrt-3 is thicker and with the switch on the back, it is a little more awkward to operate.

SR51 wins in my mind because:
1- thinner body is easier to hold and it has excellent grip
2- side button is much easier to use on this size of light
3- included diffuser is amazingly useful!!!!!

As far as output, I'm sure the 3xm-l rrt-3 is pushing more light but it's going to be hard to beat the versatility of the sr51 to fill throw and flood needs.

RCLumens

Enlightened

Very good point Calflash - It's weighing those options that's in question. I currently have a Zebrlight SC600 - Great for flood. And traded my SR 51 to upgrade to the RRT-3 Triple XML of which I really like, but am still weighing in on the form factor vs. light output... A nearby friend just ordered the SR 51 for himself, so hopefully in a week or so, we'll be able to do some real comparisons. I'll attempt to take some decent pictures of beam-shots and post if they come out acceptable.
Also to note, the RRT-3 has been becoming easier to use, as I'm finding my style of holding/activating the light. I usually find the 600-800 Lumen settings fill most applications,
but nothing like opening up the throttle to 1900lm! Cheers and if anyone else has some info to share, that'd be great.

RCLumens

Enlightened

Many thanks for the pic! Excellent shot. Also, was that on a tripod, and what ISO setting?

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened

ISO 200 focal 2.8 and no tripod

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

I only have the RRT-3 3x18650 SST-50 thrower, and a Tiny Monster.
However, yes, the SR-51 2x18650 XM-L thrower has a more compact & lightweight form factor, with an easier to use side switch, but the traditional 400 meter throwy beam with a tiny hot spot is not as practical.
The RRT-3 Triple XM-L uses a bigger and heavier body, and a tail end switch for the overhand grip to hold high above the shoulders for max throw, so it's demanding to use, but delivers a more practical 346 meter flood-throw beam.

So now you have it down to ergonomics versus beam-type.
Ergonomics go for SR.
Beam type, go for RRT Triple.

PS I think my Tiny Monster will do both your apples and oranges, and give you the biggest flood & spill, but you will only have 300 meters of throw...

Last edited:

RCLumens

Enlightened

Many thanks for the input Peterharvey73! I think we were on another thread regarding the JB RRT3 triple xml & TM11. I had the TM in my hand and was discussing the performance with one of the folks at Batteryjunction. Net/net I loved the UI and size, however couldn't sacrifice the throw. Heck, I was already sacrificing some of it with the RRT 3 triple XML.... Hence now the balancing act of form factor/vs. beam output. As far as beam goes, I think the SR92 and the TK70 give both the flood and throw, but they both SHATTER the ergonomic factors that would consider a light being jacket 'pocket-able'. Perhaps this will be a 2012/2013 realization when technology continue to catch up. So many thanks for the input!! And I'll be sure to share once I have some solid comparison experience between the SR51 & RRT3 triple xml. Cheers RC

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

The RRT-3 is a big heavy light to handle the original SST-50's 5 amps and associated heat.
For triple XM-L purposes, the RRT-3 is even in a better position to handle the 3x 3 amps for a total of 9 amps & associated heat.
The tail end switch is actually great for the occasional underhand grip high above the shoulders to maximise throw, so it should be retained.

All they have to do is to very simply update the magnetic ring in several ways:
1) give it a micro-amperage standby, so it can be used as a dual switch for the relaxing lazy daily hand shake grip, without the rapid battery drain.
2) give the magnetic ring one-handed short-travel, because the long-travel presently in use, is very cumbersome to manipulate one-handed in large flashlights.
3) use the RRT-0's sequence of: strobe, standby, low to high; presently, daily accidental activation of the strobe in the final position is a pain.

Or replace the mag ring with a side switch altogether?
Else, the RRT-3 probably looks much better than the SR51, esp if they bring back that "natural' finish like the original SST-50 pure thrower...

Last edited: