OLIGHT T20 V2010 XP-G R5 problem *SOLVED*

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
Bought an OLIGHT T20-T XP-G R5 light from an online retailer that had a great Blk Fri event price. BUT when I got it yesterday and loaded it up with fresh 123a's, all I could get out of it was strobe mode. Anyone else have a defect like this one? I'm hoping someone knows if there is a way to reset the driver/mode controller? Or is a non-repairable defect? I'm at a loss as to what to do, the retailer is out of stock of the light and will not be restocking them. Any tips would be GREATLY! appreciated! :clap: Thanks!

Greg

*EDIT***

Cleaned the threads and re-lubed them, and got all modes back. BUT the threads on the head are really rough when I change modes. Overall I like the light. The retailer gave me some time to return it for credit, I think I'll EDC it for a day or two and see if it remains stable. Take care all!

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess worst case you could send it back and get a refund. I wonder if it's possible to get a warranty through Olight.

All I can think of is that since the mode change is a function of twisting the head off and on, that the circuit isn't picking up on this transition. I haven't quite figured out how that works since loosening the head, the light stays on because there is still contact with the threads...........so it's not like there is a break in continuity due to the threading.

It might have to do with where the top of the flashlight touches that gold plated rim on the perimeter of the circuit board inside the head. Take a look and see if you seen anything abnormal. The driver board on my T25 is placed 0.420" in from the rim of the head. Maybe yours is deeper in and not touching the head when all the way screwed on? Also check continuity between this gold rim of this printed circuit board and the threads of the head. There should be no continuity. Mine was in the 300k ohms area. It is real close to the threads and maybe its touching.........which would mean that when you loosen the head and tighten you get no transition.

Just a guess.

Edit: glad you got it fixed. I really have no idea if what I said above has any relevance other than the fact that when something doesn't work and you don't know exactly how it works, you look at all possibilities.

Last edited: