Ever been blinded by flash-light?

Impyboy

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

With so many super bright tactical flashlights out there, and so many owners, just wondering if anyone has any stories to share where they're actually used their light as a defence 'weapon'?

also, if so, what were the effects on your own eyes after it? that is, when using such a bright light as a defence tool, you are bound to cop some light reflecting off the attackers face, especially at night.

anyone care to share stories?

-Impyboy

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a test, I tried to use a 2x123A light to "flash blind" an "attacker" (friend who helped out) and he had no problem finding my throat despite being flashed about 3 times while at a run before he got to me and despite my attempt sidestep out of the way. A flashlight should NOT be considered as your only defensive option, but will suppliment another defensive tool or technique in a low light situation. A determined attacker may be handicapped, but will find a way to get to you and do damage if possible.

Yes, obviously, some light bounces back at you. Enough to be irritating/distracting when the light is turned off.

When in doubt, ego be damned! Run like hell.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
One good thing is if a determined attacker is moving swiftly towards you and you keep him under the beam, he'll obviously know you have a flashlight, but he won't know if it's a way-cool E2E or Louisville-esque 4D Mag. He may be willing to wade through your photon barrage, but, hey, a good bat isn't for long range anyway. His delay in getting a fix on your last position will allow you to take a full windup.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
Just as a test, I tried to use a 2x123A light to "flash blind" an "attacker" (friend who helped out) and he had no problem finding my throat despite being flashed about 3 times while at a run before he got to me and despite my attempt sidestep out of the way. A flashlight should NOT be considered as your only defensive option, but will suppliment another defensive tool or technique in a low light situation. A determined attacker may be handicapped, but will find a way to get to you and do damage if possible.

Yes, obviously, some light bounces back at you. Enough to be irritating/distracting when the light is turned off.

When in doubt, ego be damned! Run like hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on all I've read from many LEO reports including some interesting cases related by Ken Good, along with my own "friendly attackers" I believe that a very bright light can serve as a momentary distraction but must be backed up by another force option or swift escape. I've decided that my best force option considering my age, physical condition and the fact that I live in a no-gun city, is Fox 5,200,000 cone style OC plus the brightest 2x123 light I can EDC which will probably be the PM6, ASP Taclite, possibly the TACM III or preferably the smaller TL-2 which is "brighter" than the standard SF 2x123 and 3x123 lights but not as bright as those three very bright lights. Then comes practice and plenty of it until deploy/startle/spray becomes a conditioned response.

I found that the outcome of the simulated attacks was strongly influenced by three things: Strength of beam, surprise and degree of darkness. The number and motivation of the attackers in real life are two other factors that I didn't have to contend with in the simulations, where I alternated friends but only permitted one to "attack" at a time. The simulated attacker has an advantage over a real attacker in that he is prepared so the critical element of surprise is missing. NTL, you still have control over when you activate the light and whether you hold it steady on or pulse it. With my attackers the most effective strategy was a steady beam in the eyes at quite close range. If the attacker is actually running at you a light may not have sufficient startle effect unless it is exceptionally bright, but many attacks (including some abortive muggings on yours truly) tend to happen at walking speed or when you are standing .

I used an M6, Tigerlight FBOP and PM6 in my simulations and they were effective in that order. Based on the startle or hesitation time in these tests I would have had time to deploy ready-at-hand OC. The problem is that these were only simulations, which might have little bearing on a real life confrontation, but "blind/startle + OC" is the successful Tigerlight formula and it will continue to be mine in a smaller EDC form.

Brightnorm

WolfEyes

Newly Enlightened
Use a 80+ lumen flashlight in a dark area or at night (e.g. disco) from 1-2m and there is no need to worry for minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At daytime even 130+ lumen flashlights are less effective if the "attacker" does not look directly into the beam. However, most people will actually look at what you pull out of your jacket giving you usually a few seconds of advantage.

Conclusion: Flashlights are to be used in the dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
WolfEyes said:
Use a 80+ lumen flashlight in a dark area or at night (e.g. disco) from 1-2m and there is no need to worry for minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At daytime even 130+ lumen flashlights are less effective if the "attacker" does not look directly into the beam. However, most people will actually look at what you pull out of your jacket giving you usually a few seconds of advantage.

Conclusion: Flashlights are to be used in the dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you speak from experience maybe?

Brightnorm

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kept wishing they'd try those techniques on the zombies in the new movie "House of the Dead". They had two MaxaBeam flashlights but never put them on spot focus or shone them in the attacker's eyes. Bet a MaxaBeam would seriously blind someone.

No, we get two-handed two-pistol firing but no two-handed two-MaxaBeam attacks. <sigh>

WolfEyes

Newly Enlightened
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
brightnorm said:

Sounds like you speak from experience maybe?

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Maybe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you want to be sure that someone looks at your lamp when you pull it out just say something short like "Look at this!!" or "Look!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif It works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif [Do not do this for "fun"! Eyes can be damaged, especially if you are closer than 1m in darkness!]

..as i see the smiley with sun glasses.. do not attempt to blind someone who is wearing sun glasses on a bright day.. That is almost as effective as threatening an Eskimo to lock him in a cold storage room for 5 minutes..

sgtish

Newly Enlightened
Yes just now, I aimed my pelican m6 led at one eye from about 2 feet for 2 seconds and that resulted in a bright spot in my eye through which I could not see for about 3 seconds (it's day light outside) but periferal vision was still good so I would think that aside from the startling effect you really wouldn't gain much of an advantage over anybody.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Only like a bazillion times. Did it to myself each and every time.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I might do it again this evening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
If your vision is dark adapted, the impact is significantly higher. I've literally made people stumble and fall backwards when I surprised them with a bright flashlight in a dark room. They knew I was there, but their eyes weren't ready for it. It's like when you get up at night to take a leak, go into the bathroom and flick the light on. Kinda hurts doesn't it:) Hell, just try it yourself. Go sit in a dark room for 15 minutes or so, then flash yourself with the light. I guarantee you it will frell up your vision.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
you cannot blind someone with a flashlight unless they look directly into the reflector/optic.

it's extremely easily to get around it, and i believe this is what Quickbeam's friend did. you simply focus on another part of the person, preferably lower than the flashlight. like their chest. if Quickbeam's friend can see his chest, then he knows where his throat is.

for instance, set a drink down b4 bed then turn the lights out, and you can still pick your drink up without seeing it. 'cause you subconciously know where you just put it.

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I was lit up by a cop with his ultra stinger at night once when I got pulled over. He stood about 2-3 feet away and it was bright, but if I was going to attack him, I wouldn't have any problem "finding" him. I was quite tempted to "return fire" with my SF M6, but then he may return fire with some 9mm beams /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I think it only works with certain states of mind. You may have better results if the beam pulsed or strobed. If your holding a light at someone, its common sense that YOU are on the other side of the light, so aim for the light.

Ive never blinded myself, must be my blindness? Ive looked into the throat of my xpg and blinkamm xl and neither blinded me.