Looking for two flashlights, a flood type, and a thrower. AA or AAA

dlstech

Newly Enlightened
I've messed around with a few cool flashlights and decided that I want to get a good thrower and a good flood light or headlamp for work.

I have an unlimited supply of AA and AAA batteries at work. I realize these aren't the greatest but they're free so I can change them twice a day if I have to.

That said, I don't care about battery life, just the brightness.

There's a lot I want to try but I can't afford to spend $15-$60 on each light just to have. So I'm gonna get two good ones. I already have a cheap ebay 3AAA zoomable light that I got for $10 but I'd like something better.

For the thrower, I'm thinking Fenix TK-41. My boss has a TK40 and that thing is BRIGHT. From what I understand, the TK41 is brighter and has better throw. Also it uses 8AA batteries that I can get easily. Would this be a good choice? It's pricey but it will last me a while. My boss threw his TK40 around like crazy on concrete and everything and it still worked perfectly. I want this flashlight to last because it will be my "play" flashlight. Let me know what you guys think.

Now for a flood/spill light, I want something bright that doesn't have a super intense spot in the middle because it glares back at me too much at work. I don't really need it to throw more than 10 feet or so but I want the spill to be as huge as possible and I want it bright. One flashlight I did kinda like was a Coast px45. It's an adjustable focus but when you zoom out, the flood is completely uniform and very wide(about 6 feet across when holding about 4 feet from the wall). This one can be either a flashlight or a headlamp. I just want a really good flood/spill and brightness.

I don't care about size for either one or the battery type. I want either AA or AAA. But I might consider 18650 batteries for a thrower if it's that much better.

Please let me know what you would recommend.

Thanks!

ZFlash

Newly Enlightened
For the flood light Zebralight H51 as a good compromise for flood/throw. Edc'ed it for several months and still love it for it's max. versatility and nice user-interface. Or the H501 for pure flood / working light.
I'm not familiar with any AA powered throwers, but most AA capable flashlights I know are optimised for NiMh. Primaries aren't capable of delivering the same high currents in comparison to rechargeables.

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
If you want flood check out the fenix tk45. That light is a decent flood light and runs off 8 aa as well. Tk41 is the best aa powered manufactured thrower you can buy as far as i am aware of. I would highly recommend investing in some rechargeable nimh aa batteries. The alkines in these high performance flashlights just dont work well. You run the risk of the batteries leaking as well from the high rate of drain placed on them. Sanyo Eneloop aa batteries are very popular around here.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree, alkalines in a high powered device is not a good idea, especially 8 of them!
i really cant say much for high powered lights using AA cells cause i dont have any, but ive always had a liking for sunwaymans M40A. it uses 4xAA, has a control ring, its shorter, with a wide bezel for better throw.

for your flood light, i think Spark SD52 headlamp might be perfect. uses 2xAA, the beam is super wide, max output of 200 lumens i think.

matt4270

Newly Enlightened
How about a Jetbeam BA40 (4xAA) for flood. My AA thrower is a Fenix TK20 (2xAA), not the brightest, but suits my purposes fine! There are plenty of vids with beamshots on Youtube as well. Check out goingprepaired channel on Youtube.

bob4apple

Enlightened
Keep in mind you only really need one light, because you can turn any thrower
into a floodlight just by putting some "Frosty" Contact Paper onto the lens.
This amazing clear film has etched lines on it that serve to diffuse your beam
into a wonderful wall of light.

Its official use is to apply to windows for privacy. You can find it at hardware stores.