A2 & pilas?

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody use a pila in their A2?
How does it do? How bad do runtimes suffer?
Thanks For all replys.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
They WILL NOT FIT and trying to ream out the body so that they will fit will destroy the sleeve in the body that is needed for, I believe, the two stage switch. In any case, making them fit will destroy the light.

But then again, maybe I'm wrong.

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, I was guessing that one pila 168s bat would be about the same size as 2x123lithiums. But maybe not?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pila 168S is a very close match for 2X123's, length wise. They are, however, bigger in diameter than a 123. Most Surefire lights can accomodate the Pila 168S. I use Pilas in just about all of my Surefire lights. The A2 just happens to have a very slightly smaller inside diameter, due to the sleeve, that prohibits the use of Pila cells.

Believe me I've tried. It's one of the reasons that I sold my A2, although I do regret selling it now. It's a very fine light.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop, do you have any problems with the bulbs in other SF lights when using the Pila 168S's? I've heard they shorten the life but don't know if that's true. Hopefully this isn't too far off topic.

-Mike

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xrunner,
I run my M3 on Pilas exclusively. The only thing I've heard of, other than shock, that shortens the LA life, is running it yellow for too long. The internal over discharge protection in the Pilas kicks in and shuts down the batts before the beam starts to yellow.

But I do have to qualify this though. And of course, this is as I understand it. The MN series of lamps and more efficient than the P series of lamps. For example, both the M3 and C3 are 9v lights. The MN10 LA for the M3 put out 125 lumens and the P90 LA for the C3 puts out 105 lumens. I believe that this is due to the efficiency of the MN line of LAs.

The point I'm trying to make is this. The P90 LA may not run as well on Pilas as the MN10 and MN11 do. I did experiment with my E2e P91 mod on two Pilas with a DSpeck extension for a short while, but abandoned it when I got my M3. It ran very nicely, but I never ran it to the point where it would have gotten yellow. For all I know, the batts might have shut down before yellowing as they do in the M3.

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
So The smallest body size the pila will fit is the E series.
Might work well for kl4 use. I'm sure somebody's tried it already.
A real shame about the A2, ,,the search for guilt free lumens continues..

yclo

Flashaholic*
Contrary to popular belief, there is no sleeve in the A2. The silver coloured thing on the end of the battery tube is a nickel plated ring used to improve electrical contact.

However the walls on the flat sections on the A2 are very very thin so the internal diameter can't be increased anyway.

-YC

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if it did fit, the voltage of a single Li-Ion cell is not high enough to run the PWM in the circuit. I'm supposed to be working on fixing this but I got too many irons in the fire.

Whistler

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
draftaman said:
So The smallest body size the pila will fit is the E series.
Might work well for kl4 use. I'm sure somebody's tried it already.
A real shame about the A2, ,,the search for guilt free lumens continues..

[/ QUOTE ]

L4 works perfect with the PILA's, runtime is up to 50 minutes...!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
yclo,
Thanks for the catch and info. It seems that there's just no way to put a Pila into an A2. Well, when I had mine, I used the LEDs most of the time anyway. I had it for a while and don't think I put two sets of batts through it.