Toyota's Fine-N fuel cell car

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Toyota\'s Fine-N fuel cell car

Toyota's Fine-N fuel cell car

Image_276_ToytoaFineN600329.jpg

"The Fine-N, which is due to be unveiled at the 2003 Tokyo Motor Show beginning in ten days time, demonstrates new design freedom in fuel cell vehicles with an ultra-slim underfloor fuel stack and by-wire drive functions.

Like GM's Hy-Wire and AUTOnomy concepts, the Fine-N shows how latest generation fuel cell technology opens up a new world of design possibilities. The fuel cell stack is just 150mm high and is housed in the floor of the car, along with the lithium ion battery. The smaller dimensions of the fuel cell system have been achieved partly by storing the compressed hydrogen under greater pressure (around 700 bar or 10,000 psi)....

Another feature of the Fine-N, and one that is straight out of James Bond, is a face recognition system that authenticates the driver before unlocking automatically."

hula

Newly Enlightened
Re: Toyota\'s Fine-N fuel cell car

I don't want to put a downer on this really nice looking concept vehicle but I'm going to because:

These concept cars have a very nasty habit of remaining concept cars.
The technology involved is often as not completely new, just implemented when the market is right.
They are rarely as practical for some reason or other as there fossil fuel predecessors.
If they do become available it's often at such a cost to the manufacturer that the retail price required to get a return prices the product out of existence.
They never seem to be available soon it's always several years down the line and by that time some other type of concept car with supposed new technology is heralded.

Give us these new vehicles now at a resonable cost and with every-day practicallity and we then might tuly have started to turn a corner.

Hula.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Toyota\'s Fine-N fuel cell car

face recognition system that authenticates the driver before unlocking automatically."

Damm!

Does that mean I can't unlock my car if I wanna drive to a halloween party with my costume and mask on? Wonder if face paint would screw it up? A lone ranger mask?

LOL

First thing I'd do....Menu/change defaults/face rec/off

GregR