Novatac 120P - Still using it?

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I think that I got my Novatac 120P back in early 2007. I've bought a lot of lights for friends and family in the last few years trying to convert them - HDS, Fenix, Nitecore; personally still have some modded surefires, but continue to use the novatac on a daily basis. Nightstand, dog walk, and late nites at the pad.

You all still using them or they retired? Sold? Shelf?

Any reliability problems?

Do you still love the beam profile compared to your new lights? [still love how smooth and no rings]

I stuck a shiny stainliess bezel and sapphire lens on about 2 years back... without a doubt still my favorite light.

P.S. serial 13014

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use my one, #21625 modded with a K2 TTFC emitter. I alternate between this and my HDS Clicky
There is something reassuring about the solid build quality of the US made Novatacs ... its not all about lumens ;)

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was edced for around 5 years
It was retired in oct for a sunwayman V10R ti

Still a good solid reliable light, but i woukd be upset if i lost it
So it has been relegated to nightstand duty (locator blink is awesome)

hook63

Newly Enlightened
Still have mine but I never used much and never really liked it.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's still in regular rotation. Modded with a high CRI Seoul, and wearing an HDS 2 x CR123 tube, with Hogo's brass bar mod replacing the spring so it takes 18650's. Still two bucks for those tubes at Lighthound, BTW (won't fit new Ra/HDS lights).

fnj

Enlightened
Not regularly, but yes, I keep a battery in it, and use it from time to time. Never had any issues at all. A wonderful light. Seems it runs a WHOLE LOT longer at 0.3 lumens than the latest HDS clickies. And mine always tailstands PERFECTLY. A better design tradeoff IMHO.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I've still got my original 120P, and yes.... it's hard to beat the beam profile from that SSC LED, just about perfect for my tastes. Last year I finally broke down and replaced the very scratched up polycarbonate front cover with a nice glass cover.... wow... what a difference that made, and I added a light magenta filter to clean up the tint a bit..... but otherwise, it's still like it was originally.

No problems or issues these 5 years later, and although I still keep a battery in it, it's no longer my EDC, having been recently replaced by the Zebralight SC600, and while I really like the UI on the SC600, I still think the UI on the 120P is more flexible, especially when setup to offer instant momentary access to high from any mode with a simple push and hold.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a few years on the shelf, mine just got returned to some new duty.

With a green O Light filter it hangs over a crystal/rock small tabletop water fountian. looking good!

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac is one of my favorites to have modded (K2, Seoul High Cri, xp-g neutral, xm-l neutral) From Milkyspit, Lucero28, Vesture of Blood, and others. It keeps one of my all time favorites up to date with todays technology....I think i will allways enjoy the Novatac 120p....Thanks...Robert.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to mod mine, although I'm sure I will sometime or another. It's been the one light I just haven't changed. It's still one of my EDCs and I can barely see out the lens (guess its time to replace it with glass). I have absolutely no gripes about it. Never have.

Youre right, it's not about the lumens, at all. My AAA Preon nearly replaces it for that use. It's about the dependability, beam profile, and usefulness of the UI and it's wonderous options.

Alex