Brightest throwing single AA feasible. Correct me if I am wrong.

Jayls5

Newly Enlightened
Here is my basic understanding of what affects output and throw capabilities. I did some general estimation in here.

1) Current supplied
So for starters, we must think battery. From what I can tell, the battery with the maximum output for a AA is the Energizer Ultimate Lithium L91.
datasheet: http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf.
It states clearly that the max discharge current is 2A (at 1.5v). Factor in ohm's law and around a ~3.3v forward voltage for your average LED, we are really only going to get about a max constant discharge of around 900 mA output at best.

The next logical step is to minimize the amount lost through the boost converter circuit. I don't know what a realistic expectation is, but I am ball-parking 85%. We're down to about ~760mA reaching the LED now. (Most AA lights can fit a 14500 lithium, but I can't reliably find any datasheets that come close to the output of the energizer).

2) LED efficiency and surface area of the emitter.
From what I have seen, and correct me if I am wrong, the CREE XRE appears to be the smallest surface area, and this dramatically improves throw all other things considered equal. Since it has a 1A constant current capability, the L91 AA will not be able to overdrive it at its max output. While it is not as efficient as some, most others have a much larger surface area (XML) that cannot be focused for throwing in a small package.

3) Optics
I have read that glass optics tend to have less absorption than most plastic molds. Other than that, the optic needs a surface area large enough to capture the majority of the light and collimate it into a tight beam.

Am I generally correct here? Anything you can add would be nice. I want to make sure my understanding is right before I start dropping money on fabricating.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
BatteryJunction has primary lithium cells in the shape of a AA battery but the voltage is 3v just like a CR123A
So if your building one with a driver tailored to the battery and your running the light at max it shouldn't be too hard to hit 1.5A which is max for most emitters that will throw well out of a AA hosts reflector.
You can run a XRE over 1A with adequate heatsinking (copper)

ahorton

Enlightened
I think there are lasers out that will out-throw anything made with a standard LED.

Ignoring lasers:

Higher surface brightness is more important than small die size (though the latter usually feeds the former). The high binned XP-Cs will do better than the XR-E these days.

'Optics' is a bit general. I suggest the biggest and chunkiest PCX aspheric lens you can find.

Then you'll need to develop or buy some light recycling collars.

Superlatives are hard work!