FN FAL light mount options

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
im looking to get a DSA SA-58 this month an have been researching mounting options for a light an so far all i can find is a DSA forend mount............any other options out there ? ideas welcomed as well............im really interested in a low profile type of mount with a small light. kind of like ''its there but not'' type of thing. I really plan on using it much but would like to have the option if needed

Thanks,

dsaforend.jpg

kicker9898

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if you are asking about a light mount itself or the forend itself. I know that VLTOR makes a railed forend for the FAL also. VLTOR also makes scout type light ring mounts, Daniel Defense makes a pretty nice offset mount also to bring the light in closer to the forend.

Jason

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply. I'm lookin for any mount .....mount/light combo or forend that works well on the Fal. Ill look into your suggestions

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can build an "M300" with the M78 mount from surefire and an E1B-Bk. Pretty small, bright, low profile, and half the cost. If you want a tape switch, you can get a UE07 off the MP as well.

Cons:
-Light and mount not a solid machined piece like the M300.
Pro's:
-Using the mount + light method, you can always pocket the light and use it as a handheld.
-Cheaper cost, but same build quality.
-Modularity (more parts are compatible with handheld units).
-If one item breaks, you can replace that one component, and not the whole set-up.

There ya go. I can try to take a pic of this set-up since I have the light and the mount...I just don't use this set-up, cause I have an M600 and several other weaponlights, but it is a very viable option, especially for you. Hope this helps, and welcome to CPF!

BillSWPA

Enlightened
One thing to consider: A mount like the one pictured at the top of the thread, below the barrel, is going to create a big shadow from the barrel. Mounting the light above the barrel (11:00 or 1:00 location) will place the shadow from the barrel in a position where it interferes much less with use of the light.

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
One thing to consider: A mount like the one pictured at the top of the thread, below the barrel, is going to create a big shadow from the barrel. Mounting the light above the barrel (11:00 or 1:00 location) will place the shadow from the barrel in a position where it interferes much less with use of the light.

thanks for the tip, im relatively new to weapon lights esp with long guns........just Glocks so far with TLR's.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sounds like you're asking about a mount for the FAL rather than a light. The only really good way of mounting a light to a FAL is via Picatinny rail and for than you'll need DSA's or Vltor's forward rail. I own both and can recommend either of them. The Vltor is more modular, the DSA mount is more robust. Regarding shadows, the 6 o'clock mounting with a 16" barrel isn't an issue. A 20" barrel is only an issue out to about 20 feet and beyond that the shadow is well above the sight plane.

I don't have any pictures handy at the moment but do have an older video of one rifle with the DSA mount on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLCzUOcfKRc

kicker9898

Newly Enlightened
I noticed tonight on one of my distributors websites that VLTOR now also has an offset mount that looks pretty nice, that would place the light in closer than just a standard ring. I've always like offset mounts better than a standard scout mount that sticks straight out from the rail but that's just me.

Also, I have a Streamlight Supertac that really throws well, and the Supertac X is supposed to be brighter with multilevel and strobe. The only problem with the Supertacs is the body size is smaller than a SF, so it's a little harder to find mounts to fit. However for a .308 capable of greater distance my preference would be a long throw spot like the Supertac, and they are very reasonably priced.

Jason

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
I think DSA still makes a rail accessory kit that bolts directly on to the stock handguard vent holes and adding a small rail section would probably be a lot cheaper than a new railed forend but it will not give you the same amount of real estate; conversely it will also automatically offset a standard rifle mount light which could end up saving you more money instead of having to buy an offset mount to go with a railed forend.
Besides, I never did understand why people (particularly those in the AR crowd,) spend a bunch on money on a quad rail handguard, mount one little light or foregrip to it and then cover the rest with rail covers, especially if its not a free float system.

kicker9898

Newly Enlightened
I think DSA still makes a rail accessory kit that bolts directly on to the stock handguard vent holes and adding a small rail section would probably be a lot cheaper than a new railed forend but it will not give you the same amount of real estate; conversely it will also automatically offset a standard rifle mount light which could end up saving you more money instead of having to buy an offset mount to go with a railed forend.
Besides, I never did understand why people (particularly those in the AR crowd,) spend a bunch on money on a quad rail handguard, mount one little light or foregrip to it and then cover the rest with rail covers, especially if its not a free float system.

'Cause they look really cool! :)

predator86

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind the FAL has alot of recoil so make sure your light can take it. I have destroyed a few lights with shotguns.

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
'Cause they look really cool! :)
You got me there :) Guess I never really cared for the looks of them compared to something like the round tubes with removable rail sections. To each his own though.

I wonder if there is any way to run something like the IWC Thorntail mount on a railed top cover/mount without creating a horrendous shadow and having terrible ergonomics or odd tape switch placement.

TheOtherTinMan

Newly Enlightened
Hi, found this thread through a google search. I had just made a thread on FalFiles dealing with this exact subject, showing a simple, cheap, easy solution I found. Total cost to me was about 6 or 7 bucks (not including the light itself). Oh, and I took it to the range and the light and mount held up just fine.

So, I am going to repost my thread from there, here (if that's okay). Keep in mind I have the StG-58 style handguards, but I am certain that the standard handguards can be worked with as well with some slight modifications to my approach... maybe?? I dunno, I'll have to try it out on another set of handguards...

Anyway, here it is - 6-7 dollar flashlight rail mount for StG-58 style FAL -

(original posting on FalFiles begins)

So, I'm out at Wally World and I come across one of those scope rail mounts for a Remington 700, on sale for 5 bucks. The package looks like the following, and has two rails and 4 little screws (one rail has already been taken out):

railmnt001.jpg

Now, I remember I have one of these at the house:

railmnt002.jpg

So I'm thinking 'Gee, that rail would mount my flashlight, but I wonder if I can mount the rail to my FAL?' So, I call the house and have Friday make some measurements, and then I grab a tape measure from two aisles away and measure as best I could through the package... looks like one of the rails is an exact match!

So I buy the rail for the 5 bucks, run to the hardware store and pick up a couple of tiny machine screws (#4) that are a wee bit longer than the ones in the package, and also some nuts and some washers. Total cost there was about a dollar or so.

Back at the compound, I mount the rail putting the screws through the two vent holes at the front end of the handguard (this is an StG58 style handguard). Here's inside:

railmnt003.jpg

And here's the outside showing the rail:

railmnt004.jpg

railmnt005.jpg

railmnt006.jpg

And here's the light attached:

railmnt007.jpg

As you can see, it is placed in the perfect position for thumb activiation of the switch:

railmnt008.jpg