Zebralight SC51 Clip Modification (Photos)

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
I received my Zebralight SC51C this week and wasn't digging the polished screw on clip. I sanded it down with 120 grit sand paper to provide a rough grippy surface and shot it with flat black spray paint. It's still curing and unfortunately stinks like spray paint and will likely stink for several more days. I don't expect the paint to hold up for long but I can always touch it up with another coating in the future. I very lightly and quickly applied the paint in a side to side motion, making sure it didn't build up too thick at any given time. I think I applied 10 or so very light coats in a 30 minute period.

Here are the results:

(camera flash on)
1.JPG

(camera flash off)
2.JPG

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it! But I don't foresee it lasting. Course, that depends on your use. I'd like to know how it holds up. It would look worse if it started to chip off.
Nice idea though. :thumbsup:

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
It came off immediately. Whatever! I bought 320 and 600 grit sand paper and I put a nice satin finish on it. It looks pretty good now, better than the mirror polish from before.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for letting us know. Yeah, I scuffed up one of my ZL clips with some emery cloth soon after I got it. I think it looks better myself too. I just haven't got around to the others yet. I think I will now.

Cheers..

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! Too bad it didn't last... :( Probably not worth the cost to have it anodized or cerakoted, or the like... :( But, it would be cool! :D

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
Its stainless steel and was originally coated with a chrome finish I think. I removed that with sand paper and got down to raw steel. I did not prime it when I painted.

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
Here is a picture I took this morning of the satin finish. I may try to prime first then paint in the future. If anyone else wants to do a satin finish like this with a pocket clip, I highly recomend you start with 100-150 grit sand paper, then do 300, and move up to 600 grit. 600 grit really smoothed the surface and looks quite a bit better than it did with 300 grit paper.

1.jpg

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened
I don't think priming is going to make much difference on a clip. I feel the paint will chip off eventually especially on the edges. Where you went wrong with your first paint job is applying 10 coats in 30min. Paint must cure between coats, the cure time depends on the type of paint and temperature/humidity.

I think leaving it un-coated is your best option.