Question about the Fenix PD20

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
I've seen pictures of the Fenix PD20 in two different styles - one has an anti-roll hex type ring below the bezel, the other is a smooth band giving the body the same overall size from tail to bezel.

Is one version newer than the other? Thanks.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the original P2D. The hex came in with the name change to PD20. Seems like they are going full circle if they have removed it on recent models.

Yup, a quick search showed that the older ones had the hex on a smooth head, like PD30, and now they have knurling on the head with no hex. Also noticed (maybe I forgot) that the PD32 now offers 18650 capacity, unlike the original P3D/PD30's. Hmmm.....

Last edited:

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
I bought a PD30 in the last 30 days and went through the same questions myself. Hondo gave you the correct answer, but for what it's worth I feel like I had a harder time finding the PD20 in R5 format than I should have. In fact I saw several vendors online posting pictures of what appeared to be the newer R5 version only to read deeper and discover that they were actually selling an older LED format or even the P2D. Just make sure you know exactly what you're buying!

I have not had this issue with other Fenix lights...