Got an "old" light functioning again!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
This "old" thing had a 9AA adapter in it. Some of the plastic parts of that have cracked and it's rather a pain to charge 9AA anyhow. So this thing has been sitting around.
mag85-2.jpg

I have a smattering of Li-Ion batteries. From a buddy I got hold of two IMR 18650. I cut a piece of plastic pipe that the IMR don't rattle much in. Wrapped the ends with duct tape to fit the body. Installed the batteries and a spacer.

Held my breath and hit the button. No flash which is good but not all that bright.
Tried an 1174 bulb. No flash but not a lot better.

Tried a frosted MC bulb. REALLY expected that one to flash, but no. Pretty bright.

But I can do so much with 1x123 or 16340 and a LED that I can see why I hardly ever USE these incandescent lights!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try a Pelican 3854H bulb or 3854L bulb if you have a glass lens, pr base, and aluminum reflector. The 2 X 18650 will be perfect for that!

Sci Fii

Newly Enlightened
Want to get rid of the 9AA adapter? Does it work? I rather like incans.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use 3 AW's protected 18650 (3100) with some tail spring modification and use WA1185 in 3D M*g

Very bright, low self discharge, high capacity, no expensive holder needed and will run about 55 minutes.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Whoever mentioned a 4 cell bulb on 2x18650...

Yep, it's bright. No it didn't flash. But like MOST bulbs in a Mag or other smooth reflector, the beam is HORRID!

So I went back to the Magcharger bulb. The light I'm running has a deep reflector with a small hole.

My favorite incandescent is a 2D Mag with 6AA and a MC bulb running in a MOP with a small hole. Absolutely LOVELY beam!

Charging AAs right now. The ones from my 2D ROP HI were around 1.19V without a draw, so they are getting topped off.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a few dozen NiCad and about a dozen NimH SUB C batteries. Drill packs that wouldn't take a charge anymore and such.

I was checking Flash Amps on all of them. I had 6 of the NimH in a 4D Mag ROP HI. The batteries all give high 6 Fa.

So just for fun I checked the current draw. A bit over 4 amps! No wonder it's BRIGHT!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Whoops! I've been saying SUB C when what I think I really have are 2/3's C batteries.

Because now I have 3 SUB C Nicads and 3 NimH SUB C from battery packs my buddy gave me.

The Nicads seem like they aren't gonna be good for much. But the NimH are looking good right now!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Found a decent way to get 7aa into the light. An AA to C adapter with paper and cardboard to get to D size and then a 6AA to 2D behind it.

Magcharger bulb did not flash and was pretty bright.

But 1274 running as centered as I can get it in the deep reflector it puts out a lot of light!

In many if not most Mags you can't run 4AA across. That is why the 6AA to 2D. and the single AA above that.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Possibly my last post on this subject (but maybe not).

In my 4D Mag with 6 2/3 C NiCads, a ROP HI bulb in a LOP (maybe MOP) reflector with a stock profile puts out more white and brighter light than my 3D CPF Mag with 7AA LSD NimH and a FM Deep SMO and an 1274 bulb.

The AA MIGHT not be as charged as the NiCads. But just maybe ROP HI being newer (have had 809, 1274 and 1185 bulbs for years) had more to do with it. I would not feel too cheated if the 3D was all I had. But the ROP is a bigger brighter beam!

Ah Hah! Just checked all the AA. Many at 1.24 and one at 1.10. All 1.37 or 8 are going back into the light.

Also my 2D with 2x18650 and a Magcharger bulb in a smaller inside diameter mop AIN'T NO SLOUCH!

Last edited: