Quark Mini AA: fragile loop hole ?

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Just received this little wonder from 4Sevens :thumbsup:

All good except one thing I've never noticed: the loop hole is VERY tiny and seems VERY fragile.
In no time, the friction with the steel ring will break and I'll loose the flashlight.

Did anyone had any issue, had this part broken ? What did you (or can do) about it ?

tbenedict

Enlightened
Just to mention another option, I like the koppo lanyard with a small tether cord on mine if it isn't actually on a keychain. YouTube has the video, real easy to tie.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's been on my keychain and carried most days for over a year now and while the anodizing has worn off a lot of the body and the keyring hole is noticably worn it is yet to get precariously thin. I think you should be fine, the aluminium is tougher than it looks ;)

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks, but TBH, they could (should !) have done this thing MUCH larger...a bit sad since the light is just amazing ! But there's always room for improvement.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think you'll be fine, too. Never heard of this being a problem. Long back folks were sometimes concerned the same about the Arc AAA.

Geoff

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, the loop hole will break if you use just 1 (strong) keyring and there is frequent stress exerted on the hole. what helps is using 2 or 3 rings of different size and sturdiness to relieve the hole from momentum and shear stress. aluminum is soft compared to titanium. typically keychain lights are delivered with a mini split ring plus a keychain and mini carabiner, e.g. iTP A3.
but even that will not, of course, save the fragile hole from wear and tear. again, aluminum is soft. there are nice iTP A3 pictures on cpf where the wear and tear of the hole is depicted (i cant find the link to the thread sorry).

so just use the supplied lanyard. a lanyard will tear first before the hole gets damaged.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have long experience with the Quark Mini. It looks thin, but is quite strong - stronger than a split ring. In hears of abusive pocket/keychain carry, or spinning it around on the end of a long string, my previous Qmini AA never had problems holding on. The last one was lost by a friend in Chicago, but I ordered another recently.

It's one thing to say "In time these moving parts will wear through," but entirely another to get to that point. Who has?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a USB stick made of the same aluminum (the same!). the loop hole was about the same size. at some point it became apparent (as you will detect on the photo) that continued wear would have torn the hole. to your question "Who has?", my answer: i havent.
why?
because i stopped carrying the USB stick on my keychain. entirely. bought a new usb stick.

anyway lets not hijack the thread. the point is yes, the loop hole is fragile. and with long-term wear and tear nothing should happen to it, as long as you use the lanyard (or wrist yard) attached to your key ring. (or use 2 or 3 little split rings instead). that's the point of the OP.

vali

Enlightened
(or use 2 or 3 little split rings instead).

Are we talking about the same Mini? The hole is so small I doubt you can use 3 split rings there.

I have some concerns too at first, even used a small cord for a few weeks. David himself in a post here (or CPF) said there will not be any problem and if the hole breaks it will be covered with the 10 year warranty. I have one of the first neutral Mini AA (a year and a half old IIRC), it is 24x7 in my keychain and there is not noticeable wear yet.

higbvuyb

Newly Enlightened
Are we talking about the same Mini? The hole is so small I doubt you can use 3 split rings there.
If you use a few small rings in a row, they'll be able to twist around more without stressing the hole in the aluminium is what he means.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 things before i am out:

1. anyone feel free to send in his Quark mini to me. i will demonstrate how this little hole is fragile. i have stainless steel and titanium keyrings (i love keyrings, and have enough experience with them, see my post with the USB). i will mount the keyrings (say two of them in a row), start off the video camera, and apply some force (with hands, stick, whatever), and i will demonstrate you how the hole WILL NOT BREAK but TEAR. you exert force (here: momentum and stress) on soft material, the matter will tear. i will be happily demonstrating it with your Quark mini.
2. as i said, use several rings in series. When you twist one end by 360° turn, there will be zero momentum applied on the other end, because the middle rings twist and shorten like a spiral. if you're still worried (you will see the wear and tear after a short while, it depends), use a cord or lanyard instead of the ring series.
3. 10yrs performance guarantee, so no questions asked.

out.