Wondering if my experience with Olight M3X is typical or just got a lemon

nuclearpenguin

Newly Enlightened
This is not a review, I am just frustrated and wondered if anyone else has had these issues.

Just purchased an Olight M3X for use on the farm as a weapon light or just a thrower to see what is going on out there in the big dark.

After being pleased with my Olight M20S, I had high hopes for this light, but was very disappointed with what I received. Product was packaged well in a nice case and went together easily by following the instructions. I had just charged up some new batteries (Ultrafire 3100mah) and put them in using the extender tube. Light came on bright but when I loosened the front a quarter turn or so as instructed to shift modes the light quit working. I took it apart and ensured I had followed instructions and a piece fell out off of the emitter (small plastic ring - supposed to be glued on around the emitter it appears). I managed to get the ring back where it belongs (it is held on by reflector) but the light still does not work reliably. If it gets bumped it will quit. I can get it working again if I take it apart and put it back together...sometimes. You have to shake it to get it to work in many cases. If I shift to low or to strobe, half the time it just quits and requires minutes of fiddling with it until it works again. If I remove the batteries and re-install, same story.

I am also unhappy with the beam. I researched this light and it is described as a great thrower with a tight beam...not my experience. I shine it a a white wall 5 feet a way and see a flower shaped hot spot. Out to 20 feet and it is a hollow flower with a dark middle. Out to longer distances I get some light out there, but not a really tight beam. So much for distance. I get 200 meters maximum from this and that just barely. Product is described on box as being good out to 800m...not a chance that is close to accurate.

I had wanted to put this on my AR-15 for use on coyotes but that is out. If I bump it, it stops working half the time until I do the flashlight dance. I can't imagine it would survive even mounted on a 22lr.

Just so you don't think I am a moron and can't figure out how to properly assemble a flashlight. I was trained as an Electrician in the US Navy,spent 8 years as a nuclear engineer before being bored with it, and am now a telecom/it architect. I have built working cars from junkyard parts. I am pretty sure that the issues I am having are not operator related.

Unless someone knows a trick to get this thing working reliably, I am likely going to return this to Amazon and buy a Crelant 7GS, or Thrunight Catapult from some website in China (don't mind China at all, they were nice when I visited there, it just extends the shipping time a bit). Maybe someone else will get it right for half the money that this Olight cost.

If anyone has any suggestions I am open to trying them, but my frustration level is already high.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It definitely sounds like the reflector isn't tightening down fully when you're reassembling it, or perhaps too far? The plastic ring isn't meant to be glued down, it is a centering ring and keeps the reflector at the right level and tight to the bezel. When reassembled make sure the hole in the reflector is right down over the centre raised part of the black ring (the ring must be the right way up for this to work; flat side down). Also, when disassembled can you tell if the two screws holding the emitter and star down are fully tightened? Also do all the soldering connections in the head look ok?

Another thing I'd check for switching/flickering problems is that the ring in the tailcap is fully tightened, try screwing it in tighter with some needlenose pliers if not.

jcalvert

Enlightened
I am also unhappy with the beam. I researched this light and it is described as a great thrower with a tight beam...not my experience. I shine it a a white wall 5 feet a way and see a flower shaped hot spot. Out to 20 feet and it is a hollow flower with a dark middle. Out to longer distances I get some light out there, but not a really tight beam. So much for distance. I get 200 meters maximum from this and that just barely. Product is described on box as being good out to 800m...not a chance that is close to accurate.

Notwithstanding what I'll assume is the black plastic piece that centers the LED, which wasn't an issue for mine, the flower-shaped beam is exactly what I experienced along with a pronounced void in the hotspot. I ended up sending it back to the dealer in exchange for another, and the new sample is as it should be, with a completely full, tight hotspot, a traditional round spill beam, and very impressive throw. I would definitely exchange it and request the dealer to inspect the replacement before shipping.

Also, if you want to add some versatility to the M3X or any light for that matter, consider adding a Butler Creek Flip-open, clear-window, rifle scope cover, size #11. I purchased mine from Gander Mountain and then covered the window with "d-c-fix" diffusion film available from the CPF Marketplace (currently unavailable while being upgraded). With the cover closed, your thrower becomes an excellent flood light. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

All the best,
John

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you could return it and change it for a Sunwayman T40CS the beam is almost identical. The Crelant 7G5 also has some quality issues. The more expensive Thrunite Catapult V3 also has minimal complaints here in the forums.

If you want the ultimate thrower, get the Dereelight with Aspheric Head.

nuclearpenguin

Newly Enlightened
Wow, excellent information. Good info on the diffuser as well.

I know nothing about the Sunwayman. They make some sweet looking lights from the pictures I have seen. Do they have US based distribution?

NP

nuclearpenguin

Newly Enlightened
Found that ring in the base and tightened a quarter turn. That seems to have sorted out the reliability problem, thanks for the suggestion. Beam is still lame though so I will see about getting it exchanged.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, excellent information. Good info on the diffuser as well.

I know nothing about the Sunwayman. They make some sweet looking lights from the pictures I have seen. Do they have US based distribution?

NP

Hello! GoingGear.Com and BatteryJunction.Com