Redilast vs AW 18650 differences?

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
Hi, I have been away from CPF for a while and when I came back I saw these Redilast batteries. When I was around before everyone's go to batteries were the AW.

From what I read the Redilast batteries perform pretty well, but I was wondering if there are any differences that should affect a purchase. For example, are the dimensions the same? I hear about how some lights are built around certain batteries and the same size from a different brand may be just a hair too wide or long to fit.

Thanks in advance for the help.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The quality of the AW and RediLast are about the same, but there are many difference between them.

For the 3100 batteries you can check my reviews and comparison. The individual reviews can be found here or on my website. I will also be reviewing and comparing most of the other batteries from AW and RediLast, but just now I have batteries for about two months work (This include AW and RediLast) and I cannot say when I review the individual batteries.

RBWNY

Enlightened
I have a few different brands in 18650.... Redilast 2900's being one.

I've had them a few months, and they're just fine. I've not had any issues with them fitting improperly, and am very satisfied with the runtime. I'd recommend them highly, and am looking forward to HKJ's comparison reviews :).

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Now, I'm not knocking AW's products - they have a long track record of reliability and high quality, and I have bought them and used them myself, and been happy to do so.

However, in some respects, I do prefer the construction of the Redilast cells. From images that I have seen of the two batteries with their outer wrap removed, some (I don not know if it is the case for all) of the protected cells have their OEM wrap removed, a strip of capton tape placed on the bare cell as an insulator, and then the metal strip that connects the protection circuit to the positive battery contact is laid over the capton tape. The whole is then wrapped.

Redilast leave the original OEM wrap on the cell, and lay the PCB postive strip over that, and then place their wrap on top of that.

There is no real issue with the use of capton tape, as long as the metal strip is secure, and it keeps the overall width of the battery down which could be a bonus with some less generously bored lights, but I do feel happier with the idea of the Redilast having a full wrap between the PCB strip and the cell's casing.

The disassembled cells also showed that the Redilast PCB featured three FETs, whereas the AW had only two, although it does not seem to hinder the performance of the AW cell.

2miniLITES

Newly Enlightened
I have used Aw batteries for over a year and picked up a set of Redilast 3100mah from lighthound. I have to say I am also impressed with the construction of the Redilast over the AW have not seen a performance difference between the 3100mah from both which I have run in my Eagltac M3C4 Single XML. The raise anode on the Redilast is a big PLUS!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive had the wrapper damaged on one of my AW2600s from a
sharp battery carrier tab and it shorted the little strip which
smoked and melted.
It was a bit freaky and smoky + melty but not too big of a deal.
I unwrapped it and it works fine unprotected.

Ive mostly been using pana "rawdog" NCR-A as all of my lights
have low voltage warning anyways.

with any protected cell you should mind that metal strip tho.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2900 cells from both. My Redilast cells dont handle the low setting on my Klarus Xt series lights, I get very bad visible pulsing (pwm). My AW celss don't exhibit this. I run my redilast in my Thrunite Scorpion without issues. I do use a Pila charger

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another difference I didn't see mentioned is around the PCB. The little piece that protects it is rubber on the Redilast and hard plastic on the AW. Obviously the softer material of the Redilast would provide better shock absorption if the cell were dropped on the PCB end. There was a thread were CPF memeber csshih opened up the Redilast and AW cells to make a comparison of the cells used and construction methods.

pabcor

Newly Enlightened
Sorry but i no time. I will put here with google translator

Test duration and power with the flashlight Fandyfire 700 of 1 mode

4000 Black Ultrafire unprotected ebay 1h 10 min duration.

TrustFire 2400 black with flames protected charged 6 hour ago but loading lasted 1h 25 min

Ultrafire protected red 3000 1h 50 min low intensity then rapidly until almost 3 hours but no longer the same.

Panasonic 3100 ebay unprotected 2h 33 min

Callie's Customs 3100 2h 05 min protected, then starts to flash and finish at 2h 15 min off.

3100 Redilast protected 2h 05 min, then starts to flash and cut off at 2h 15 min (like the previous ..)

4000 Black Ultrafire protected 1h 10 min, then loses power as something less than the tr-801 to more than 2h.

2900 AW protected 2h 13 min, then it takes 5 minutes more but loses power and then turns off.

I see the Panasonic 3100 "unprotected" from ebay are the ones that last longer and are smaller but pricey

With a 100,000 lux Light Meter ..

At 50 cm from the sensor, the first 10 seconds after charged

3000 Ultrafire Protected 12100 to 11600 lux
4000 Ultrafire Protected 16500 to 15900 lux
4000 Ultrafire unprotected ebay: not tested
TrustFire 2400 black with flames protected: 16400 to 16100 lux
Callie's Customs 3100 protected: 17700 to 17000 lux
3100 Redilast protected: 17200 to 16700 lux
Panasonic 3100 not protected: 15500 to 15100 lux
2900 AW protected: 163000 to 157000 lux

With the light meter the most power light is protected Callie's Customs 3100

Note, AW batteries are the most expensive item to € 24.79 / shipping included battery. And are also available at 3100 mAh (29 €).

Note: Callie's Customs, 4000 Redilast Ultrafire protected and are slightly longer and not fits well in the fast charger in Deal but simple well.

Sorry for my very bad English traduction

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
Redilast 3100mAh : Cell : Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh, Button top
AW 3100mAh : Cell : Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh, NO button top

-------------

Protection circuit : Redilast current cut off above 10A, AW current cut off around 9.2A

NCR18650A is known to handle discharge as low as 2.5V

Conclusion :

Same cells wrapped in PVC by two different companies, AW doesn't have button top.

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
Sorry but i no time. I will put here with google translator

Test duration and power with the flashlight Fandyfire 700 of 1 mode

4000 Black Ultrafire unprotected ebay 1h 10 min duration.

TrustFire 2400 black with flames protected charged 6 hour ago but loading lasted 1h 25 min

Ultrafire protected red 3000 1h 50 min low intensity then rapidly until almost 3 hours but no longer the same.

Panasonic 3100 ebay unprotected 2h 33 min

Callie's Customs 3100 2h 05 min protected, then starts to flash and finish at 2h 15 min off.

3100 Redilast protected 2h 05 min, then starts to flash and cut off at 2h 15 min (like the previous ..)

4000 Black Ultrafire protected 1h 10 min, then loses power as something less than the tr-801 to more than 2h.

2900 AW protected 2h 13 min, then it takes 5 minutes more but loses power and then turns off.

I see the Panasonic 3100 "unprotected" from ebay are the ones that last longer and are smaller but pricey

With a 100,000 lux Light Meter ..

At 50 cm from the sensor, the first 10 seconds after charged

3000 Ultrafire Protected 12100 to 11600 lux
4000 Ultrafire Protected 16500 to 15900 lux
4000 Ultrafire unprotected ebay: not tested
TrustFire 2400 black with flames protected: 16400 to 16100 lux
Callie's Customs 3100 protected: 17700 to 17000 lux
3100 Redilast protected: 17200 to 16700 lux
Panasonic 3100 not protected: 15500 to 15100 lux
2900 AW protected: 163000 to 157000 lux

With the light meter the most power light is protected Callie's Customs 3100

Note, AW batteries are the most expensive item to € 24.79 / shipping included battery. And are also available at 3100 mAh (29 €).

Note: Callie's Customs, 4000 Redilast Ultrafire protected and are slightly longer and not fits well in the fast charger in Deal but simple well.

Sorry for my very bad English traduction

Something wrong with that test :

Callies's are also Panasonic 3100 wrapped in black PVC,

are they charged the same way?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
The fact that the underlying cell is the same doesn't necessarily mean that the performance will be identical. If one assembler uses a different protection circuit to another, then that could have an effect on the overall performance.

pabcor

Newly Enlightened
All the same. same charger, similar old, several cells of each brand, same day, same flashlight..

Redilast and Callie's same duration but little diferent intensity.

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
The fact that the underlying cell is the same doesn't necessarily mean that the performance will be identical. If one assembler uses a different protection circuit to another, then that could have an effect on the overall performance.

Stephen thank you for your input. How many charging/discharging cycles were there before test is performed, as well.

I was talking about lux measurement part, but didn't clearly say so. My mistake.

I was wondering why we see that gap btw Panasonic 3100mAh cells with protection , and Panasonic 3100mAh without protection.
or
How come that Panasonic cells with protection perform better than Panasonic without protection in this test?

Runtime part is pretty realistic, but I do not understand this part:

"Ultrafire protected red 3000 1h 50 min low intensity then rapidly until almost 3 hours but no longer the same"

???

I would like to say that I respect reviewer's time, and his work. Thank you.

Sometime questions like mine are necessary to clear some things out for many people who visit this forum , but do not actively participate in discussions.

HKJ is one of the best battery/charger reviewers - but one cell is missing in his "collection" there is no Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh review. Hopefully soon he will have some of these 3100mAh bare cells to test.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Even in terms of the lux readings, different componentry added to the bare cell could have an effect. If the protection circuit alters the power delivery of the cell (or the button, or the baseplate, or what have you), then the different power characteristics will have an effect on the performance of the light. Should there be a big difference? No, but it is possible.

I do agree with you though that it is odd that the bare cell should perform worse than the protected cell. After all, if it is the added components that effect performance, then the bare cell should not be suffering any losses in comparison. I would have to presume a poor quality cell, or perhaps the flat positive terminal was not making a good contact in the light.

HKJ

Flashaholic
HKJ is one of the best battery/charger reviewers - but one cell is missing in his "collection" there is no Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh review. Hopefully soon he will have some of these 3100mAh bare cells to test.

I do not have any bare NCR18650A cells at the current time and I doubt that there is much difference between the protected batteries and the bare cells.