RRT-0 and V10R current draw

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
As a tangent of this thread... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?333486-RRT-0-AA-extender-max-lumen-and-runtime

I've done some very crude measurements for current draw of the following lights:

RRT-0 XML, R5, S2
V10R Ti (R5), XML
Preon 2 High CRI (just for kicks)

Again note that although it may appear there is a modicum of control, this really is a high level informational post. You CANNOT simply take battery capacity and divide by the current draw to obtain runtime numbers, though you can make some pretty neat inferences. The point is by measuring them at the same time using the same resources, the numbers can be compared somewhat.

All measured values in mA rounded to the nearest integer. Measured five times using five different points, discarding max/min, then averaged.

hidcanadadrawtest1.jpg

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I think what this might show is the Sunwayman V10R series is pretty bang on for the quality, output and runtime. The only gripe I have is the lack of a standby mode -- when switching between the RRT-0 and the V10R, I do forget to turn the latter off and instead twist it to leave in the lowest mode.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm quite interested in these infinitely variable magnetic control lights, but they always seem so inefficient at the lowest lumen levels. Do you have any efficient low low clickly lights in 123s to compare against the RRT and V10 in 1 lumen or less... something like a Zebralight, or Quark?

Seems very odd that SWM appears to be efficient, they list their max runtime as only 35 hrs (vs 100 hrs for RRT). That's about as low a runtime as I've ever seen for that batt. and lumen level.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I'm quite interested in these infinitely variable magnetic control lights, but they always seem so inefficient at the lowest lumen levels. Do you have any efficient low low clickly lights in 123s to compare against the RRT and V10 in 1 lumen or less... something like a Zebralight, or Quark?

Seems very odd that SWM appears to be efficient, they list their max runtime as only 35 hrs (vs 100 hrs for RRT). That's about as low a runtime as I've ever seen for that batt. and lumen level.

Odd yes but the low on the SWM is definitely (visually) lower than the RRT on RCR123s. Again taking these with a grain of salt since I do not know what the voltage cutoff is among other things.

For clickies... I have a Quark Mini 123 Ti... and all of the Fenix product line. What would you like to see? Some Ultrafires etc as well but nothing that goes <5 lumens as far as I remember.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the regular Quarks and ZLs with 0.2 lumen moonlight should be the efficiency kings able to run weeks (a month?) on 123s, and that lumen level is in between the RRT and V10 lows, so it would make a great benchmark. The Mini's 3 lumen min is getting out of the other's range, but if that's the lowest level non-variable, then it might be interesting - even at 3 lumens 4/7s does quote more runtime than both although the user testimonials don't support it.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a V10A, so is it likely your results are the same I'd see despite the battery differences?

all things being equal, that is. like an AW 16340 (750 mAh) in your V10R and an AW 14500 (750 mAh) in my V10A?

I'm assuming they use the exact same circuitry/driver but who knows.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I have a V10A, so is it likely your results are the same I'd see despite the battery differences?

all things being equal, that is. like an AW 16340 (750 mAh) in your V10R and an AW 14500 (750 mAh) in my V10A?

I'm assuming they use the exact same circuitry/driver but who knows.

I have a V10A T6 and V20A T6 arriving at the doorstep in a few hours to try (if DHL holds up their side of the bargain :) ). Unfortunately I don't have any AW 14500... only some crappy TrustFire tested at 450mAH. It's likely they will have higher draw. If I remember in brief check, the 14500 had higher draw in the RRT-0 XML tested, but not by too much (20mA?). It'll be interesting to see if the V10A T6 is regulated to the same...

aau007

Enlightened
I find the numbers for the rrt0s quite interesting for rcr123a battery.

xml 2200mah
r5 2000mah
s2 1030mah

1. The high lumens between the r5 and s2 is only about 20 to 30 lm according to specs but the r5 draws almost double the current.
2. The high lumens of xml is more than double of the r5 according to specs but only draws about 10% more current.
3. I don't remember what numbers JB published for them. Then the s2 is supposed to have double the run time of the r5 using rcr123a on max?

Something is not right with the r5 circuit if the tested numbers are correct. Or is the r5 version just a sucky light?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I find the numbers for the rrt0s quite interesting for rcr123a battery.

xml 2200mah
r5 2000mah
s2 1030mah

1. The high lumens between the r5 and s2 is only about 20 to 30 lm according to specs but the r5 draws almost double the current.
2. The high lumens of xml is more than double of the r5 according to specs but only draws about 10% more current.
3. I don't remember what numbers JB published for them. Then the s2 is supposed to have double the run time of the r5 using rcr123a on max?

Something is not right with the r5 circuit if the tested numbers are correct. Or is the r5 version just a sucky light?

Hmm your right. Perhaps a fat-finger mistake. I'll check again against my notes and a quick retest when I get back.

aau007

Enlightened
Hmm your right. Perhaps a fat-finger mistake. I'll check again against my notes and a quick retest when I get back.
While you are at it, do you have the ability to measure battery voltage that the current draw?

According to Cree, xml can produce 100 lm per watt, at up to 3A to 1000 lm with a vF of 3.35v. When the rrt0-xml is at max drawing 2200mah and assuming the battery is at 3.8v under the load, that will make 8.36W. For the xml to produce 550lm at max, the led is at 5.5W in theory. According to the current/voltage chart from Cree, 5.5W is about 1800mah at 3.15vF. That will mean the circuit is eating out almost 2.8W of power. Not very efficient I think.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Tested again.

RRT-0 S2 at MAX using RCR123A is indeed 1050mA or so.

Quark Mini 123 Ti on low is 56mA.

I haven't opened the box DHL dropped off so no V10A or V20A comparision yet.

No can't measure voltage without adding an inline volt meter... could probably do but adding it in will affect the current draw number. Try later.

d83a5866-cfec-dbe0.jpg

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

i just recently completed a runtime test on my v10r Ti.
i used a new batterystation primary, and got around 80 hours on the lowest setting. which was kind of disappointing to me.
but still much better than the stated 35 hours.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Quick numbers...

V10A T6:

AA high: 2.3A
14500 high: 1.6A
16340 high: 1.7A

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I have to say the V10A T6 has completely trumped the RRT-0 XML in my book. Super bright on AA yet frugal. Pop in a 14500 and it rivals the Jetbeam with more flood. Excellent size for grip -- though the RRT-0 with extender feels just as good... My only gripe still is the lack of standby.

EDIT: and I miss instant strobe for those fun moments (see strobe thread)

Form factor is really nice...

d83a5866-11fa-26ce.jpg

Last edited: