Are these still considered decent

Jayson88

Newly Enlightened
I have had these along time and wondering their value. Both are in nice shape.

ARC LS LED

HDS EDC 42 XR GT

...I'm pretty sure they we're nice back in the day but technology moves so fast. How do these compare today?

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great lights, solid as a rock, but today... underpowered , yet collectible.

Each can be modded, at what cost I don't know. If you're emotionally attached, get them modded. Otherwise look into replacements.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent lights. Well made and still highly collectible. Maybe a little underpowered by todays standards, but still the same functional lights theyve always been.

I had an EDC B42XR which had been modified with a Seoul SemiConductor P4 LED [which boosted the output, whatwith being more efficient than the stock Luxeon]. Quite possibly the best beam pattern I've ever experienced in a light. Nice sized hot-spot [maintaining pretty decent throw] that very gradually and smoothly faded into the spill. [I'm not sure if the beam pattern witht he stock LED is similar]

Even better than the P4 is the XP-G [a cree LED, very efficient, has similar enough light dispersion to the P4 and Luxeon I/III LED's to be able to be fit in, no problems]. There are several threads in the Homemade/Modified sub-forum that detail dissasembly and modification of the HDS EDC/Novatac lights [The former became the basis of the latter], and there are also several members who would modify the lights for a fee.

I haven't been paying much attention the marketplace, but about a year ago, when I sold my B42XR it went for what seemed to be about an average price at that period, ~$130, IIRC. The Ultimate/60/85 models go for a bit more.

And another thing, not sure if you ever read of this... But the HDS EDC series [if a "Basic" model] could be programmed just like the "Ultimate" models, by using the programmed in "back-door". Clicking it on 250 times [instead of the 10, IIRC for the Ultimate series], switched over the firmware to the "Ultimate" series programming. By which I mean the 250 click easter-egg was a one-time deal [if my understanding is correct].

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three or so Arc std lights. When I first joined CPF the Arc was the rage for EDC. I bought some at a discount price, as I always thought the output was less than I desired, and did not get enough for the price. Subsequently I have had two failed, and one is acting up now. Arc replaced the two, but considering the cost of shipping with tracking numbers I will let them go in the future. I think the Fenix E01 is a better buy.

I do realize that there are some mods for the Arc, but I am not inclined to do so. I have a couple in the plastic, but will give them away when I find someone who might want one for a purse carry.
Jerry

Jayson88

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information.... I am impressed with the technical knowledge of this forum...

ltxi

Newly Enlightened
I've had an EDC Ultimate 60 clipped to a pocket inside my briefcase for more years than I can remember. It's been all over the world and I have no intention of replacing it with anything else. Indestructible and still more than sufficient for travel/hotel room use.
EDC 42 lives in my desk drawer at work.

LGT

Enlightened
I would keep it and use it in it's original form. Sure it's output and runtime will lack lights out today, but IMO having something like this in it's stock form is priceless.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would keep it and use it in it's original form. Sure it's output and runtime will lack lights out today, but IMO having something like this in it's stock form is priceless.

The wonderful thing about the older HDS EDC series lights driver, is that it is extremely efficient at lower outputs. As in, ultra-low will run for 900+ hours on a primary 123. Henry [HDS owner] decided to change the design of the driver in his newer lights, in order to maximize top-end efficiency [1hour constant, instead of 20-30min at max]. This unfortunately involved a trade-off in lower-end efficiency.

I loved, and miss, my EDC B42XR w/P4 [#3939] for its efficiency. I went through a handful of cells in the several months I owned it, using it for extended periods during a week-long power outage, and several camping trips. Extremely efficient.

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
I think so. I still have two Arc LS lights, one of which is probably the very last cyan light made (I asked if they had any left, they said they were all sold years earlier, and then to my total amazement Peter made me one two months later from old parts they found in the shop).

My B42 XR GT is still an old favorite. It sits beside the bed these days and primarily pulls nighttime cat location duty.

They still work fine and get used on a regular basis.

Last edited: